Is a bear near Forester Pass opening new model Bear vaults?

  • jimsantiagohill
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2014
      I joined the JMT Facebook group yesterday and there is a thread that is showing a hand made sign warning of an aggressive bear on the north side of Forester Pass opening Bear Vaults.  Does anyone know if this was an issue prior to the "new model double latch Bear Vault" or is this still an issue with the new model?
      I just bought a new BV500 for my trip in July, and am wondering if I need to take it back to REI and do something different.
      I could be wrong, but think I can get a more reliable answer on this forum.
      Jim
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2014
        According to this link you're good:

        It references 2014 in the sentence I'm referring to:
        You might be referring to an old thread going back to 2005 about the Vidette Meadow bear that caused problems with older/smaller bearvault models:

        _

        On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM, <jimsantiagohill@...> wrote:

        I joined the JMT Facebook group yesterday and there is a thread that is showing a hand made sign warning of an aggressive bear on the north side of Forester Pass opening Bear Vaults.  Does anyone know if this was an issue prior to the "new model double latch Bear Vault" or is this still an issue with the new model?
        I just bought a new BV500 for my trip in July, and am wondering if I need to take it back to REI and do something different.
        I could be wrong, but think I can get a more reliable answer on this forum.
        Jim

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2014
          "Is a bear near Forester Pass opening new model Bear vaults?"

          Jim,

          You certainly don't want a faulty bear canister out there, but also, you might not want to just deal with Vidette Meadows as a camp spot––lots of bears there ( or one very busy one ) over the years and after my first afternoon encounter in VM, I decided I was a fan of camping in the high country . . . too many trees and so on down in Vidette, but if you keep going you have higher options, better views . . . .much better views.

          Another two hours or so of easy, uphill ambling and you can make it meadow which is essentially the base of the Forester climb on the north side. The trail leaves Vidette and it's pretgty much a straight shot all the way, with one other significant camp spot at the mid-point, off to the right, but again, another 45 minutes or less and you're up there, enjoying the views, several camp sites and easy access to the best water around.

          Also, at this point . . . there's only one bear box, in Vidette. The one is very obvious and the other one was a little hard to find . . . there's was also one at that mid-point camp, but I think it's gone as well. hmmmm.

          Anyway, if you want to have the bears test out your new canister or your tent (seen that there too) stay in Vidette.

          Bob Shattuck

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            From: jimsantiagohill@...
            Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 15:42:59 -0700

          • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2014
              As someone else stated already, that sign was up many years ago, and it was the old version of the Bear Vault. Bears were bouncing on the side of them and popping the tops off! I had one try it on my Bearikade Weekender with no success for the bear. It was entertaining for us though!!
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2014

                On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:42 PM, <jimsantiagohill@...> wrote:
                I joined the JMT Facebook group yesterday and there is a thread that is showing a hand made sign warning of an aggressive bear on the north side of Forester Pass opening Bear Vaults.

                BTW there are two FB groups on the JMT

                JMT ongoing group - 4000 members

                JMT for 2014 thru-hikers only - 200 members

                The one with the thread on the bear at Vidette was the smaller group and the photo is undated so might well have been from the 2005 problem. I scored myself a free replacement BearVault (two tab version to replace my one tab version) thanks to that bear - BearVault was giving away replacements at the Roads End trailhead on a trip I took out of there.

              • longritchie
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 31, 2014
                  I know all of you love Mark Zuckerberg but I am starting a U.S. Mail JMT group.
                  I'm calling it "JFMT-Snail-Trails". Just send me letters or postcards with your
                  "posts" and mailing address. I will compile them all into a single newsletter
                  by typing them, double spaced with my Remington typewriter. Then I'll make
                  multiple copies with a Ditto machine and then stuff, lick and stamp all of the
                  envelopes personally. It should take no more than 2-4 weeks.

                  Who's in?