Shuttle Options from Whitney Portal to Onion Valley Campground

  • tknapp86
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2014

      Hi all, fairly new to the group and seems like an awesome resource.

      I'm spending a few days on the JMT this summer and am trying to figure out the best means to get back to my vehicle at Onion Valley Campground after exiting Whitney Portal. Any suggestions/info would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Trent

    • Paul Fretheim

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2014

            On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Ray Murray Yahoo <raymurray40@...> wrote:
            Spend at least 1 night at Independence motel and Strider will probably fix you up

            Ray presumably meant Mt Wiliamson Motel - that's the one Strider owns

            http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/

          • tknapp86
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 10:03 AM
              Awesome. Thanks for the info all. Two solid options. I may have the option to have one of our group members bring a 2nd vehicle, which would eliminate the issue entirely, but that's looking grim at this point.
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1 11:11 AM
                Nobody mentioned it yet, but hitchhiking is much easier on the East side of the Sierra than anywhere else in the State I've seen. There will be hikers, some with room in their vehicles, on the side roads from 395 from/to the Portal (many) and Onion Valley (some). And while hitching North on 395, a lot of the locals will pick up hitching backpackers. Make sure you have something to make signs with - Probably To Lone Pine, To Independence, To Onion Valley would get you the best rides, since people know you are only asking for fairly short rides.