Underwear

  • mb_000007
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 30 9:27 PM
      What kind of underwear would one wear one a long trip such as the JMT? Any suggestions. For a female and male.
    • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 30 9:30 PM
        Can't speak for the females, but is like some kind of light compression underwear, such as UnderArmor to avoid any chaffing. They dry very quickly, resist odor, and most importantly for me...eliminate chaffing in undesirable places;  ) !
      • john_friend
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 30 9:50 PM
          I expect this is a personal preference/experience kind of question, but there are a couple things to consider (answer geared for men - though may be appropriate for women too):

          1.  You absolutely want non-cotton.  It will dry quicker and absorb less stuff from your body (oil, sweat, odor, etc..).

          2.  Some people have issues with chaffing on the inside of their legs.  To protect against that, I've used snug fitting boxer briefs like these http://www.rei.com/product/859916/exofficio-give-n-go-sport-boxer-brief-mens-6-inseam and had good luck.

          Note: these can be washed, wrung out and will dry in under an hour in the sun or even less time than that on a warm rock or I've even swam in them, wrung them out and then immediately hiked in them and they dry quickly as you hike.  I used these instead of bringing a swimsuit too (heck whenever you're going swimming they need to be washed anyway).

          I'm sure there are many other opinions on this topic...
        • longritchie
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 30 11:18 PM
            I wear the same cotton underwear that I do at home. Cotton t-shirt too. They breathe.

            Some people prefer synthetic material because it absorbs less and dries faster. Either way a spare pair can be nice. You can use it as a hat while turning the pair you've been wearing inside out.

            Females... I'm not an expert at that. I just hike the JMT over and over and over again.
          • ravi_jmt2013
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 31 4:32 AM
              The men's ExOfficio briefs and boxer briefs work well to avoid chafing, are odor resistant, and dry quickly after a wash.  Smart Wool briefs may be better but seem to be twice the cost. Beware of running shorts with integrated briefs. For me at least any hike or run in that type of shorts longer than 10 miles or so results in chafing. But those shorts are great for camp or swimming or a few miles of walking while the ExOfficios dry out.
            • LEBRUN
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 31 6:00 AM
                None!!

                On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM, <mb_000007@...> wrote:

                What kind of underwear would one wear one a long trip such as the JMT? Any suggestions. For a female and male.

              • debrabrownbear
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 31 7:04 AM
                  Smart wool makes a women's lightweight base layer that is comfortable and doubles as camp/sleep wear. There's a great discussion on women's underwear (sports bras, etc.) brands and types and weights going on over on the Ladies of the JMT Facebook site. Debra
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 31 7:06 AM
                    On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:32 AM, <ravi@...> wrote:
                    The men's ExOfficio briefs and boxer briefs work well to avoid chafing, are odor resistant, and dry quickly after a wash.

                    I'll add another vote for these.

                  • Stirling Price
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 31 1:17 PM
                      Anyone with experience to compare the Ex-Officios with the REI brand?  I have some of those and they work pretty well. I wouldn't mind upgrading if it is worth it.

                      Stirling

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 31 1:29 PM
                        I favor merino wool as it won't pick up body odor until after 4-6 days, and merino wool keeps one warm when cold and cool when  hot, it's a miracle fiber; but it is not strong enough for pants and some sock brands. I prefer Ibex or Icebreaker myself.  Join up on their mailing lists, they're always running sales.

                        _

                        On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM, <mb_000007@...> wrote:

                        What kind of underwear would one wear one a long trip such as the JMT? Any suggestions. For a female and male.

                      • Kim Fishburn

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 31 1:34 PM
                            I wore the REI brand on a 4 day trip a couple years ago and switched to the ExOfficios for my JMT trip last summer and liked the ExOfficios better, but this is a highly personal choice that has as much to do with fit and preferences as anything else.  You will literally have to check them out in the store and if you think you like them, wear them on some practice hikes to see how they work for you.
                          • robert shattuck
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 31 3:15 PM
                              "Anyone with experience to compare the Ex-Officios with the REI brand?"

                              Yes, finally––something I can actually comment on :)  . . . For ten years or so I've been stylin' both a pair of REI and the EX Officio . . . they both go skiing and backpacking with me and both are in fine shape, except I have just noticed that the elastic on the EO's is starting to go, but I attribute this to overuse––I get on the JMT, slip on the EO's  and forget about all the frilly things, like smelling like I'm on a date and so on and of course, who needs to change underwear unless you decide to maybe swim in them and a dry pair is kinda nice afterwards . . . mostly, at the end of the JMT when I am dumping my pack contents on the floor of the Dow Villa, I realize, 'oh, I had another pair of underwear.'

                              Go with the EO's if you're looking for a purchase that'll last and holds up to its hype ( that lack of smell thing) . . . but otherwise, REI are a lot less expensive and will no doubt work just as fine.

                              Bob Shattuck

                              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 31 4:50 PM
                                While I don't have experience with the ExO's, I have used the REI brand boxer briefs.

                                I'm not sure if the newer REI production lots are improved, but I'm not satisfied with my two pairs. My REI synthetics are prone to "piling", where little fuzz balls form and can be quite irritating over many miles. Even when alternating and washing them daily, the problem persists. YMMV...

                                I'll be replacing them with something else before my next trip.

                                John M.

                                On Mar 31, 2014, at 1:17 PM, Stirling Price <stirlprice1@...> wrote:

                                Anyone with experience to compare the Ex-Officios with the REI brand?  I have some of those and they work pretty well. I wouldn't mind upgrading if it is worth it.

                                Stirling

                                On Mar 31, 2014, at 9:06 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

                                On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 4:32 AM, <ravi@...> wrote:
                                The men's ExOfficio briefs and boxer briefs work well to avoid chafing, are odor resistant, and dry quickly after a wash.

                                I'll add another vote for these.

                              • trailnameskyking
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 31 5:29 PM
                                  Regarding merino wool, another option is a company called "Minus 33".  Their stuff is quite high quality, but sometimes on the thick side-- Ibex shirts,for instance, are thin enough to be good for all seasons, but the M33 t-shirts are too thick for summer.  I use M33 underwear, but am gradually switching away because it tends to wear out and is very expensive.  Ibex would wear out just as fast and is twice the price!
                                • Deborah Rhoton
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 31 7:58 PM
                                    My boyfriend bought a pair of ExOfficio's and a pair of REI at the same time. He now owns 5 pair of ExOfficio's and just the one REI.

                                    Deb

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 1, 2014
                                        I will be hiking with my 15 year old son who is 5'7" and weighs 105 lbs.  Any suggestions for underwear for a skinny kid?
                                      • berdomb
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 2, 2014
                                          My son and I  have worn $10 starter brand compression shorts from Walmart for up to  2 weeks straight  without washing or any issues.  Pretty much all we ever wear.
                                        • cindy liebeck
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 2, 2014
                                            Hi - for the women - I've found that nothing tight around the upper-thigh works best for me.  I have "snipped" leg elastics on underwear which has worked fine.

                                            I also like a 'different fit' when I need it.  I bring a mid-thigh solution when I need to give the normal pressure points a rest - for me it is a shorty leotard.  C.
                                            On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:49 PM, "berdomb@..." <berdomb@...> wrote:

                                            My son and I  have worn $10 starter brand compression shorts from Walmart for up to  2 weeks straight  without washing or any issues.  Pretty much all we ever wear.

                                          • Jim Hill

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 3, 2014
                                                From March 30th, 2014:"Can't speak for the females, but is like some kind of light compression underwear, such as UnderArmor to avoid any chaffing. They dry very quickly, resist odor, and most importantly for me...eliminate chaffing in undesirable places; ) !"UA works great!