Resupply in Independence

  • lylebialk@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 23, 2014
      Hey all,

      Planning a Thru Hike in Aug/Sept this year. Couple of older hikers, 61 and 71. Experienced with long distance hiking, but like to take it easy now, especially in such a beautiful area.

      Our plan is to camp at Bullfrog Lake, then hike out over Kearsarge Pass to Onion Valley for a shuttle pick-up at around 1 PM. Question is, how tough is the trail out, and how much time should be allotted for a couple of slow to medium hikers, who will be in decent shape by then. We generally like to keep daily mileage down around 11 or 12 miles.

      Are there decent camping options along the trail to Kearsarge Pass? Wouldn't mind shortening the 8 miles out.
    • brucelem12
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 23, 2014

        My recollection is that camping is not allowed at Bullfrog Lake at this time, but Kearsarge Lakes about 1 mile E and maybe a quarter / eighth mile side trip is a beautiful camping spot. About 1 mile short of the pass. Slightly less than 5 miles from the top of Kearsarge Pass to OV trailhead. A series of lakes and some nice, but less dramatic, camping spots along that stretch too. Fairly easy trail up and out, (relative to higher passes)...but if you're like me, how easy or hard something seems is entirely dictated by my expectations. Come to think of it...that applies to movies as well.

        Bruce

      • John
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 23, 2014
          Lyle,

          Like Bruce stated, Bullfrog Lake is closed to camping at last check, but Kearsarge Lakes is a better choice in my opinion too.

          A suitable overnight midpoint between OV and K-Pass is Flower Lake (approx. 9,600 ft. ??). We stayed the night there once along the north shore near the outlet. We did have noteworthy mosquito activity, but otherwise it was nice site. We utilized this midpoint stop because we had driven up from So Cal (approx 1600 ft elev) the same day we hit the trail at OV and we were concerned about some within our group needing the acclimation "pit stop" before heading over the pass the following morning to Charlotte Lake.

          However, you might find it best to hike non-stop from Kearsarge Lakes to OV/Independence for re-supply, then start back up the trail about 2.5 miles to Flower Lake all in the same day. IMO, taking the rest stop at Flower Lake going uphill seems more advantageous than stopping there on the downhill leg.

          John M.

          On Mar 23, 2014, at 1:34 PM, brucelem12 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          My recollection is that camping is not allowed at Bullfrog Lake at this time, but Kearsarge Lakes about 1 mile E and maybe a quarter / eighth mile side trip is a beautiful camping spot. About 1 mile short of the pass. Slightly less than 5 miles from the top of Kearsarge Pass to OV trailhead. A series of lakes and some nice, but less dramatic, camping spots along that stretch too. Fairly easy trail up and out, (relative to higher passes)...but if you're like me, how easy or hard something seems is entirely dictated by my expectations. Come to think of it...that applies to movies as well.

          Bruce

        • Lyle Bialk
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 23, 2014
            Thanks for the info. Sounds like there are plenty of options available.

            REALLY looking forward to this trip.
          • Byron Nevins
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 24, 2014
              Note that Bullfrog Lake  is closed to camping.  But the inlet and outlet are not closed.

              A Ranger o the trail pointed this out to me about Timberline Lake.  You can camp very close to the lake along the inlet -- legally.
            • cehauser1
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 25, 2014
                FYI:  Bullfrog Lake has been closed to camping for at least 30 years.  When I was 10 (30 years ago) I purchased a nice 3-map set of the John Muir Wilderness, and it was shown as being closed then... prohibited within 300 feet of the shoreline, at that time.  Bullfrog Lake is surrounded by a botanically unique fen wetland ecology... something I didn't see on any of the other lakes along the entire JMT.  The plants and organic soils are very delicate and susceptible to trampling by people and horses, so I don't imagine they will open that area to camping any time soon, especially with the large number of people who access the High Sierra over Kearsarge Pass.

                I don't know if anyone answered your question about the trail over Kearsarge Pass:  That is a relatively easy trail... the easiest east-side access points on the entire Eastern Sierra, I've been told.  After hiking the 150 miles to reach that area, your hike over Kearsarge will be a breeze.  Well built, well maintained, and not too steep.  I'd say most people could easily base camp on (or near) the JMT/PCT, and take the 14-mile day trip to pick up your resupply package at Onion Valley.  As John Ladd points out, that extra 14 miles will pay off in spades, due to greatly reduced pack weight going over Muir Pass, Mather Pass, Pinchot Pass, Glen Pass.  It is worth every extra mile.

                In addition to the camping options near Bullfrog and Kearsarge Lakes, there are 5 or 6 nice lakes (with nice campsites) on the east side of Kearsarge Pass.

                Chris.

              • Lyle Bialk
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 26, 2014
                  Thanks Chris. We have no desire or intention to camp illegally. I was going by Eric the Black's JMT Atlas, which has a Bullfrog Lake campsite indicated. Knowing now that their are numerous other camping options along the Kearsarge Trail solves our problems.

                  We will actually be spending the night in a motel in Independence, taking a rest day there, so we won't need to do a round trip in the same day. We are taking our time, want to thoroughly enjoy the hike.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 26, 2014
                    Hi Lyle:

                    I think spending one night at a motel in Independence is a great way to go.  Get a nice shower (or two), get your resupply organized, get a high calorie meal (or two), and get a wonderful night's sleep in a real bed  Really, this is a great way to freshen up and hit the trail again the next day.

                    I wasn't worried that anyone would illegally camp at Bullfrog Lake.  I was noticing that people were saying that it was "currently" closed to camping, and wanted to point out for the record that it was probably a very permanent closure, based on the lake's history, location, and ecology.

                    Cheers,

                    Chris.

                  • justindav193
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 8 12:18 AM

                      Hey guys,

                      Planning on starting the solo JMT early august.

                      I want to eat alot of food on the trip as I'm a 20 year old who turns into a calorie eating machine when I hike. I think the best way to do this is to send resupply packages to Tolumne, Reds Meadows, Vermillion, Muir Trail Ranch, and lastly getting off the trail in independence.

                      1. Is it best to mail a package to the independence PO box? I dont want to fish around for food when I get to town. Also, is it possible to do that in a day? I wont have cash for a hotel. Hike to the trailhead, hitchike down to the PO box, hitchike back and start hiking.

                      2. How much trip planning do I need to do? Seems like some people have it planned out even to where they want to camp each night. I have no clue about any of that. I have a map app on my iphone that does GPS and has the whole JMT on it. Can I just follow this and bring a guidebook to glance over before starting? I've been focusing on physical fitness for this trip mostly.

                    • Edwardo Rodriguez

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 8 7:06 AM
                          The only grocery store in Independence was very minimal -- really more of a small 7-11 -- when I was last there in 2008. I couldn't even buy olive oil there and was reduced to buying corn oil. Ugh!

                          And I think the store has since closed.

                          We had good luck hitching to and from the trailhead. We were there in late June.

                          Have you considered Mt Williamson Motel? They are in Independence and are great hiking supporters. The owner, Strider, is a PCT thru-hiker

                          On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM, justindav193@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                        • Carolsteveyoung
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 8 7:20 AM
                            If you are new to trail I'd carry the guidebook. Tear out extraneous matter to save weight.

                            My experience is that when things get dicey in the wilderness it's when several things go wrong at once. A bear took your food AND you twisted ankle AND it's starting to snow. And your phone battery died.

                            If you've been on the trail before then reading carefully and taking notes might be enough. Take a good map that shows the side trails that can get you out if need be. And consider what you'd do if you dropped your phone on a rock.

                            And have a great hike. Didn't mean to sound negative with the above. You're going to love the trail and the people that you meet.

                            Steve Young
                            Geneva IL

[...]

                          • Paul Fretheim

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 8 9:00 PM
                                    Justin:

                                    A couple of thoughts:

                                    First of all:  Having multiple resupply locations is good, since it keeps your food weight low, but depending on your schedule and budget, you probably have too many.... they take time and they are not cheap.  Tuolumne Meadows and Red's Meadow are close, and VVR and MTR are close.  It is fine if you are out for a long time and don't have a budget, but resupplies can get expensive, so I'd chose from 1 of each of those 2 pairs.  Tuolumne Meadows PO is popular, so people can slack-pack up from Yosemite Valley with a very light pack, then get much of their supplies at the TM PO.  Both TM and Red's Meadow have decent food stores and restaurants, depending on what you tend to eat, so you can just buy hot meals and some meals and snacks without picking up a mailed resupply box.  VVR and MTR are very different in multiple ways... so it is more a matter of your schedule and budget... VVR is a great place to socialize with other hikers, but it is adds at least a day to your schedule and you will probably rack up a $100+ tab.  MTR is just off the trail, so it makes sense on a tight schedule, and the $50+ resupply cost is not cheap, but probably cheaper than a night at VVR.

                                    Your question 1:  Mt Williamson Motel has a great package with trailhead pickup, resupply, laundry, lodging, breakfast, and trailhead dropoff the next morning.  However if you are on a budget, and if you are on a tight timeline, then you should mail your resupply box to Berner's Pine Valley Pack Station, and ask them to put the box into the bear boxes at the Onion Valley trailhead near their Onion Valley pack station.  Make sure they know when you will be picking up the box (advance it by a couple of days in case you are early), and make sure to put your name and pickup date on the top and side of the box so the NF rangers know not to throw the box away.  (Sorry, I can't find the Berner's website on the web right now.)

                                    Your question 2:  "Plans are worthless, planning is essential".  Assuming you have to be back at home or at work at the end of the trip:  my suggestion is that you make a plan for where you will camp every night... based on your schedule and fitness level, plan out a series of nice campsites that are X miles apart, and give yourself an extra day of wiggle room in case you need to take a zero day.  Then, when you are out on the trail, don't hold yourself to that campsite schedule, other than to know if you are on schedule or behind schedule.  In 2013, my campsite plan had an extra day in my schedule, and then on the trail my body needed to take an unscheduled zero day at MTR... it was the best thing I could have done.

                                    Chris.

                                    ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <foxfish50@...> wrote :

[...]

                                  • madisonatterbury
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 11 1:11 PM
                                      I am wondering about the Berner Valley Pack Station and sending a resupply box to them! I contacted the Mt. Williamson Motel and it sounds great, but I am looking for a cheaper option at this resupply point! Thank you!

                                      Madison
                                    • Joe MacLeish
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 11 1:36 PM

                                        So that would be Pinecreekps@... "Pine Creek Pack Station" or

                                        Pine Creek Pack Station                                     Sequoia Kings Pack Trains

                                        PO Box 968                                                          PO Box 209

                                        Bishop, CA  93515                                               Independence, CA  93526

                                        Tel: 760-387-2797                                                Tel: 800-962-0775

                                        Email: pinecreekps@...                          Email: bernerspack@...

                                        There is no Berner Valley Pack Station.  Look in the files for this site for the various resuppliers.  They can be cheaper if you go in with somebody else on your resupply.

                                        Joe

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 11 3:26 PM
                                          The pack station will not be less expensive, but the Forest Service has banned anyone but Sequoia/Kings Pack Station from doing any kind of resupply via Onion Valley. I think that would include Berner Valley Pack Station. You can find contact data for Sequoia Kings at the Packers' web site at:

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 11 3:55 PM
                                            Both pack stations are owned by the same packer.  The Pine Creek is their permanent base of operations.  The other place is utilized when they have jobs there.

                                            You can arrange with them for your group to ship your stuff to them and to just pick it up at the Trailhead (they have a pack station at the Onionvalley TH), and to use their shower there too.  It is a flat rate.  A couple of years ago it was $125 and that's for the group.  Don't know what it is currently, but if it is a group of 3 or more, it's cheaper than the per-person cost at Muir Trail Ranch.

                                            The distance from the JMT to Onionvalley TH is not that bad, it's the closest Trailhead to the JMT of them all in the southern half of the JMT.  Something like 5.5 to 6 miles.  The pass is relatively easy as the southern half passes go.  I can't think of an easier, nicer pass. I've done the pass twice now, but only coming in from the East.  Twice I did a detoured JMT having to assist a bailing-out hiker to a more Northern TH and I resumed the JMT coming in at Onionvalley TH, in both cases substituting 2 passes and was able to maintain the official JMT pass count and mileage (just a slight detour).

                                            ps, a reminder; arranging the deal with Danica is the hard part.  I have had to do repeated call or email sometimes over a couple of days before getting ahold of her.  I don't know why such happens but once a deal is done (I prepay), they've always come through 100% without fail for us.

                                            Roleigh

                                            _

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 11 4:48 PM

                                              Like Roleigh says.  me too.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 11 7:14 PM
                                                Its a matter of style-would drive me crazy to plan every camp, sounds like a train trip--but I have a general idea.  If you;re young and strong I'd say just carry a good map, more food than you think you'll need, a warmish jacket, make a food run at Kearsarge if need be, and you'll be fine.
                                                Henry
                                              • whcobbs
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 12 7:02 AM

                                                  The Post Office at Independence is on the corner of the main drag and the road to Onion Valley Trailhead,  The office is small, but the personnel were friendly and gave good advice about the time to get a ride to the TH, about 1/2 hour.  I did not resupply there.  Bishop is probably a better resupply town for SOBOs, but it is  a major detour off trail.  If you are running behind on your schedule to meet a flight in Reno after Whitney, from Bishop  you have an option to hitch south to Independence and reenter the JMT via Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass.  This maneuver will probably gain only 1 to 2 days. Because of the extensive hikes via Bishop Pass and Kearsarge Pass, the distance is not shortened all that much,

                                                  Walt

                                                • allipilgrim
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 12 1:07 PM
                                                    Roleigh, the current price is around $525...
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 12 1:15 PM
                                                      Alimore, that price is for what?  Is it packer dropoff over Kearsarge Pass, Wood's Creek, where?  Did you check for the price to just have them hold your stuff at their pack station at the Onionvalley TH?

                                                      _

                                                      On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM, alimoir@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                      Roleigh, the current price is around $525...

                                                    • Arla Hile

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jun 12 7:17 PM
                                                            Roleigh,
                                                            Dang...that's some story. Honestly, it's shocking to me that even treating someone to dinner would be suspect, but I will keep that in mind. In the end, nobody wants anything other than an excuse to take a trip and feel like they're part of our adventure. Certainly I'm grateful, as much for the company as for the resupply, even if it means we have to camp at Vidette with the bears!

                                                            Of course we all know they need wilderness permits like everyone else, and I'm hoping that from Onion Valley that would be relatively easy. I've only packed out of Onion Valley in the winter so I don't know about that.

                                                            Arla