Re: [John Muir Trail] Getting back to Yosemite Village from Muir Trail Ranch?

  • MATT SHEEHAN
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
      Thanks!

      --- On Thu, 4/9/09, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote:

      From: Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Getting back to Yosemite Village from Muir Trail Ranch?
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:49 PM

      Instead of hiking to Muir Trail Ranch, you could go out at Piute Pass to North Lake, and hitch down to Bishop. Catch a bus from Bishop to Mammoth, then Mammoth to Yosemite. There are extensive threads in this group regarding the transportation options on the Eastern Sierra.

      Claire

    • song95139@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
        Hi Matt,

        The east side of sierra has better transportation availability than the west side.  I excited at Whitney Portal last year and had no trouble hitching a ride all the way to Hwy 120 and Hwy 395.  From there, I held my Yosemite Pass up high with my left hand and stick my thumb out with my right hand.  In less than 20 mins, I was picked up by someone who was interested to drive through the park to Fresno.  He dropped me off at Yosemite Valley.  Both of us was happy with the mutual benefit. i,e. he got a free entry into the park and I get a free ride.  From Lone Pine to Hwy 120, I purchased a tank of gas for the gentleman that gave me a ride.

        MTR is no where near any trail exit.  You can exit Piute Pass or hike over Muir Pass and exit at Bishop Pass.  Both of these two passes will take you to the east side.

        Allow yourself 1.5 to 2 days hike to get out to the east side.

        Good Luck.

        Sim