RE: [John Muir Trail] Getting back to Yosemite Village from Muir Trail Ranch?

  • MATT SHEEHAN
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
      Thanks for the great info!
      Matt

      --- On Thu, 4/9/09, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

      From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>
      Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Getting back to Yosemite Village from Muir Trail Ranch?
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 10:59 PM

      Matt, this is a hot topic tonight. Again, getting out of the sierra via the west side is a drag, BIG DRAG. You'd be better off heading further south (once you've soaked it up in the Blaney Hot springs) another two hours or so, hitting the Piute Junction and going over and out on the east side . . . I don't have all the particulars, but you'll end up down on 395 around BISHOP . . . and here's a nifty site:
      http://kevinaston.com/toNorthlake.html

      You can go into Bishop for food, hotels . . . whatever, but I would suggest, depending on the time of day once you come out, to thumb it up to Mammoth. You might be able to thumb further and that's fine末you might get a ride all the way into yosemite but . . . (you might not) the safe bet is to thumb to mammoth, get a hotel for the night and catch the 7 a.m. shuttle out in front of the McDonalds. You'll be back in Yosemite valley by about noon末head over to the trailhead parking just next the start of the JMT at happy isles and bingo末bob's your uncle . . . drive home or to wherever.
      If you hit the Muir Trail Ranch, it ought to take you two to three days to get over and out, via Piute.
      If you spend the day getting down to the trailhead and you're lucky enough to catch a ride to BISHOP, you might just stay there and save Mammoth, or EVEN getting all the way into Yosemite for the next day.

      bob

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: sheehan1962@...
      Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 05:35:58 +0000

            I'm hiking from Yosemite village to Muir Trail Ranch, and I'm rying to figure out how to get back to Yosemite Village. I picked Muir Trail Ranch as an end point based on distance, not convenience in getting back to the village. I'm thinking about heading over to Mono Hotsprings instead of Muir Trail Ranch, and one of the guys at the Hotsprings suggested catching a ride with someone from the hotsprings to Fresno, renting a car there, driving back to my car in the village, driving the rental back to, say, Sacramento and dropping it off there, and heading home from there.(Oregon). That sounds like a big addition. I suppose I could arrange a 2 car trip and do a shuttle, but I'm open to more brilliant ideas...Got any?

      Thanks,

      Matt Sheehan,

      Ashland Oregon

    • MATT SHEEHAN
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2009
          Hi Matt,

          The east side of sierra has better transportation availability than the west side.  I excited at Whitney Portal last year and had no trouble hitching a ride all the way to Hwy 120 and Hwy 395.  From there, I held my Yosemite Pass up high with my left hand and stick my thumb out with my right hand.  In less than 20 mins, I was picked up by someone who was interested to drive through the park to Fresno.  He dropped me off at Yosemite Valley.  Both of us was happy with the mutual benefit. i,e. he got a free entry into the park and I get a free ride.  From Lone Pine to Hwy 120, I purchased a tank of gas for the gentleman that gave me a ride.

          MTR is no where near any trail exit.  You can exit Piute Pass or hike over Muir Pass and exit at Bishop Pass.  Both of these two passes will take you to the east side.

          Allow yourself 1.5 to 2 days hike to get out to the east side.

          Good Luck.

          Sim