Re: [John Muir Trail] Tarps vs. tents...and sleeping bags

  • Rich Ehli
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
      You'll save about 2 pounds and about one-third the space compared to a
      good, light one-person tent. I am unfamiliar with how a tarp would
      perform in the Sierras but I suspect it does substantially better as a
      shelter compared with lower, wetter climes on the East Coast where there
      are more creepy crawlies and bugs to deal with. Waking up in the middle
      of the night to a mouse prancing across your lips is an experience that
      is harmless on one level but also one you don't soon forget. Ask me how
      I know that. I found a shaped tarp design with relatively steep sides
      was much superior to a rectangular design since it is easier to set up
      in windy conditions, especially if using hiking sticks as your 'tent'
      poles. A rectangular tarp set up with a low arch is apt to have
      condensation problems since moisture expelled by respiration and
      perspiration will migrate to the waterproof tarp material and hang
      suspended on the underside until shaken loose. In a downpour, the
      pounding rain shakes loose the droplets on the occupant beneath, almost
      like being out in the rain. With steeper sides, gravity eventually wins
      out and the droplets slide down the material and fall off around the
      perimeter. I had a good experience with the Integral Designs Sil Shelter
      hiking the AT a while back and may decide to use it on JMT this year.

      Rich