Re: Tarps vs. tents...and sleeping bags

  • s_auchterlonie
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
      I'm going to suggest the tent...and here's why. Tarps serve good purpose to those who want light weight options. In addition, they provide a sense of openness not found with tents. However, tarps do not weigh much less than tents do. Sure, tents are heavier but wise shopping will provide you with a light weight tent. Also, tarps produce annoying flapping noise during windy nights. Sometimes they can be more of a hassle to set up than a tent. You could always sleep outside on clear nights and not set the tent up all together to get the "openness" feeling of a tarp. Nevertheless, choosing between a tent and tarp is a personal preference. I hope this helps.

      Also, I have a REI Polar Pod +20 which keeps me toasty in 20-30 weather. Anything below this, I wear warm fleece which keeps me even warmer. My coldest night dropped to single digits and I was fine.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962" <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I'm hiking the northern half of the trail in late Aug. and early Sept., for the first time, and I'm wondering if anyone has any input on tarps vs. tents. I have never used tarps and don't know much about using them, so I'm wondering about them vs. a tent.
      > Also sleeping bags - what's the temp. drop to usually this time of year? Depends on the altitude I know....and does anybody have any thoughts on zip together bags?! I'm thinkin about a 20 degree down bag...

    • Robert W. Freed
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
        Temperatures are usually mild to hot this time of year. (Aug-Sep) That is what makes the Sierras so great. Tarp vs. tent is a personal choice. Mainly how to deal with the thunderstorms. Ultra lite etc.. I use a tarp and a couple a yards of noseeum for the bugs.

        Robert

      • richfax
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
          We hiked the JMT during the last week of Aug/first week of Sep in 2008. Weather was mild at night but dropped below freezing one night. We used Marmot Atom 40 degree bags with a silk liner and had no issues. I just wore all my clothes to bed the night it got below freezing. I was in a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL double wall tent.
        • david
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962" <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I'm hiking the northern half of the trail in late Aug. and early Sept., for the first time, and I'm wondering if anyone has any input on tarps vs. tents. I have never used tarps and don't know much about using them, so I'm wondering about them vs. a tent.
            > Also sleeping bags - what's the temp. drop to usually this time of year? Depends on the altitude I know....and does anybody have any thoughts on zip together bags?! I'm thinkin about a 20 degree down bag...

            I spent 13 nights on the JM trail last August, and slept on passes a few nights. Anyhow, I employed the Shire's tent only one night because it was sprinkling as I got to camp. I tried using tarp the last few outings- after channeling Ray Jardine. Here are my thoughts on tarps:
            1. it takes some practice (and time) to set them properly -more than tents
            2. there is less site flexibility, if you plan use a tree (or?) for one of your anchor points
            3. when the wind direction changes at 2 am, sometimes the tarps need to be adjusted
            4. there is nothing easier than a freestanding tent
            5. they are lightweight
          • Rich Ehli
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
              You'll save about 2 pounds and about one-third the space compared to a
              good, light one-person tent. I am unfamiliar with how a tarp would
              perform in the Sierras but I suspect it does substantially better as a
              shelter compared with lower, wetter climes on the East Coast where there
              are more creepy crawlies and bugs to deal with. Waking up in the middle
              of the night to a mouse prancing across your lips is an experience that
              is harmless on one level but also one you don't soon forget. Ask me how
              I know that. I found a shaped tarp design with relatively steep sides
              was much superior to a rectangular design since it is easier to set up
              in windy conditions, especially if using hiking sticks as your 'tent'
              poles. A rectangular tarp set up with a low arch is apt to have
              condensation problems since moisture expelled by respiration and
              perspiration will migrate to the waterproof tarp material and hang
              suspended on the underside until shaken loose. In a downpour, the
              pounding rain shakes loose the droplets on the occupant beneath, almost
              like being out in the rain. With steeper sides, gravity eventually wins
              out and the droplets slide down the material and fall off around the
              perimeter. I had a good experience with the Integral Designs Sil Shelter
              hiking the AT a while back and may decide to use it on JMT this year.

              Rich