Re: wilderness solutions electro anti-bear container

  • intrek40
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jhkays2000" <jkays@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone tried this one yet even though it is NOT APPROVED by the Sierra bear group? I have thought about carrying one for the overflow that won't fit in our Bear Vault for this summer's JMT thru-hike.

      Not much for regulations but they do have there purpose as already stated. I actually prefer my BV even when not required, and even when I'm not in Bear country.
      I think the overflow problem affects most of us hikeing the last section going south on the JMT. My plan to deal with this is to max out my BV at the Muir Trail ranch, not counting that day munch fest. Then for the rest of the trip, increase my miles only if I'm not able to supplement a few meals with fish to afford an extra day. I kinda like winging it anyways. Another option would be to put your overflow in an approved bear sack.