Best place in Lone Pine to ship JMT Trail end stuff is where?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 6:47 PM
      From Yosemite Valley, for the 2 days prior to hitting the JMT, I wish to
      ship a few items (soft pack cover, clean clothes, cell phone) to a place in
      Lone Pine that is open till about 7-8 pm at night, so that when I get to
      Lone Pine, I can pick up the supplies and use them that night. I intend to
      stay in a hotel in Lone Pine and I have no problems paying $25 for a place
      to securely hold onto the items. I am most concerned about my cell phone
      which I don't want to hike with due to it being useless on the trail and
      unwanted weight. Several others in our group will be in the same situation.
      Some places I wonder about: Whitney Hostel, Whitney Portal Store, Elevation
      Backpacking Store, Dow Villa Motel. Who recommends what and why, and how to
      ship? Thanks! PS, This will be for mid-August, 2009.

    • Carol Moses
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 6:59 PM
        I am doing the same thing. I was just going to pick a hotel and send my things there and pick them up when I arrive. Experienced JMT hikers have told me this is unnecessary, but I thought it a good idea. This is my first JMT thru-hike, so what do I know? I am glad someone else is thinking along the same lines, sort of a reaffirmation!
        Carol Moses

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 12:00 PM
          There is a hikers hostel in town that is open late. Also I used a local guy that runs a shuttle service from the trailhead to town, and I wonder if he would hold it for you (provided you use him to get you from the trail to town).
          His name is Bob Ennis and he was a very nice guy who was prompt and well priced. I know he has been mentioned on the boards before, but I will find his contact info when I get home.

          Hope this helps a bit, and good luck!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Carol Moses <yosemite9@...> wrote:

          > I am doing the same thing. I was just going to pick a hotel and send my things there and pick them up when I arrive. Experienced JMT hikers have told me this is unnecessary, but I thought it a good idea. This is my first JMT thru-hike, so what do I know? I am glad someone else is thinking along the same lines, sort of a reaffirmation!
          > Carol Moses

        • Eric Sherman
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 12:02 PM
            That works or you can send stuff to the Whitney Portal and they will hold for you.  IN case you wanted stuff to shower with and change into before heading into Lone Pine.