Re: [John Muir Trail] Re:for light backpackers:

  • Matt Ruby
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
      I use a plastic sheet 9 x 9, that you can find in the painting section at home depot. and 16 ft of thin cord.  It makes a bomber A-frame.
      Matt

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2009
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

        > I use a custom-made 9x9 tarp most of the time. If I'm needing bug protection, I use a smaller 5x9 tarp with a bug bivy. Both tarps were made by the same guy out of AZ. The bug bivy was homemade, but based on one of Mountain Laurel Design's bivys. Because the bivy also has some WP/B material on top, it allows me to use a smaller tarp, even in inclimate weather.
        > Jim
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ecomike77" <ecomike77@> wrote:
        > >
        > > do you use a tarp or just the sleeping bag? if you use one, which tarp do you have? I think I'll bring it with me, but i must choose the best one!

        for Solo trip Trap + bivy will be probably have the same weight as UL tent. For my solo trips I using "Black Diamond Oneshot" tent it's really light and compact.