Re:for light backpackers:

  • Robert W. Freed
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
      Daily thunderstorms are common in the High Sierras. I have done the trail with just a 8x10 Silnet tarp and a umbrella. But heavy winds can make these a little inadequate. I have since switched to a tarp with breaks on each end and I also carry a Silnet poncho & chaps for windy rain.

      Robert

    • jim.ennis
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
        I use a custom-made 9x9 tarp most of the time. If I'm needing bug protection, I use a smaller 5x9 tarp with a bug bivy. Both tarps were made by the same guy out of AZ. The bug bivy was homemade, but based on one of Mountain Laurel Design's bivys. Because the bivy also has some WP/B material on top, it allows me to use a smaller tarp, even in inclimate weather.
        Jim

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ecomike77" <ecomike77@...> wrote:

        > do you use a tarp or just the sleeping bag? if you use one, which tarp do you have? I think I'll bring it with me, but i must choose the best one!

      • Adam Bickett
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
          I really enjoyed my Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs on my JMT hike last
          year. Held up great, even in an exposed hailstorm below Forester. Somewhere
          around 11 oz, and doubles as a poncho!

          -Adam

          On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Robert W. Freed <robert@...>wrote:

          > Daily thunderstorms are common in the High Sierras. I have done the
          > trail with just a 8x10 Silnet tarp and a umbrella. But heavy winds can make
          > these a little inadequate. I have since switched to a tarp with breaks on
          > each end and I also carry a Silnet poncho & chaps for windy rain.
          >
          > Robert

        • Matt Ruby
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2009
            I use a plastic sheet 9 x 9, that you can find in the painting section at home depot. and 16 ft of thin cord.  It makes a bomber A-frame.
            Matt

            On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Robert W. Freed <robert@engravingpro s.com>wrote:

            > Daily thunderstorms are common in the High Sierras. I have done the
            > trail with just a 8x10 Silnet tarp and a umbrella. But heavy winds can make
            > these a little inadequate. I have since switched to a tarp with breaks on
            > each end and I also carry a Silnet poncho & chaps for windy rain.
            >
            > Robert

          • mvkazit
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2009
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

              > I use a custom-made 9x9 tarp most of the time. If I'm needing bug protection, I use a smaller 5x9 tarp with a bug bivy. Both tarps were made by the same guy out of AZ. The bug bivy was homemade, but based on one of Mountain Laurel Design's bivys. Because the bivy also has some WP/B material on top, it allows me to use a smaller tarp, even in inclimate weather.
              > Jim
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ecomike77" <ecomike77@> wrote:
              > >
              > > do you use a tarp or just the sleeping bag? if you use one, which tarp do you have? I think I'll bring it with me, but i must choose the best one!

              for Solo trip Trap + bivy will be probably have the same weight as UL tent. For my solo trips I using "Black Diamond Oneshot" tent it's really light and compact.