wilderness solutions electro anti-bear container

  • jhkays2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 19 9:30 PM
      Has anyone tried this one yet even though it is NOT APPROVED by the Sierra bear group? I have thought about carrying one for the overflow that won't fit in our Bear Vault for this summer's JMT thru-hike.
    • Rich Ehli
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 20 8:42 PM
        One idea I've come across was the suggestion to place your food sack
        inside a narrow rock crevice that is sufficiently deep to be out of
        reach of the paws and jaws of all large animals. It could still be
        retrieved using a stick or hiking pole by hooking the loop you had the
        foresight to tie in the drawstring of the sack. Unfortunately, that's no
        defense against mice and other rodents gnawing through the sack for a
        midnight snack but I see a way to solve that problem as well. Stow your
        food in the much lighter and more packable (vs. any bear cannister) 'Rat
        Sack' (http://tiny.cc/WtVB7). If it were legal, that would be my
        preference. "Rules are rules" so assuming it works, does anyone think I
        would escape being fined?
        Rich

        jhkays2000 wrote:

        > Has anyone tried this one yet even though it is NOT APPROVED by the
        > Sierra bear group? I have thought about carrying one for the overflow
        > that won't fit in our Bear Vault for this summer's JMT thru-hike.

      • Robert W. Freed
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21 5:59 AM
          > "Rules are rules" so assuming it works, does anyone think I would escape being fined?

          I have hiked the JMT several times in the last five years. I have yet to be asked for a permit or bear can. And I have seen plenty of rangers.

          The bear can is not to protect our food from bears. But to teach bears that they cannot harass people for food. It is to protect the bears from our food. If you carry the can you don't need to worry. When you hear other campers blowing whistles and yelling you can just put your ear plugs in and roll over and go back to sleep. You know what bears get when they prefect the food from humans routine? A bullet in the head.

          Save a bears life, USE THE BEAR CAN.

          Approved Food Storage Containers
          http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

        • jimqpublic@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 21 6:38 AM
            On Mar 19, 2009 9:30pm, jhkays2000 <jkays@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone tried this one yet even though it is NOT APPROVED by the
            > Sierra bear group? I have thought about carrying one for the overflow
            > that won't fit in our Bear Vault for this summer's JMT thru-hike.

            If you look at the map on
            http://sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/foodstoragemap.htm you will find that
            most of the JMT can be hiked without a bear canister being required. In
            Sequoia/Kings there are bear boxes at several locations and my permit last
            summer stated that through hikers (it didn't specify which trail) don't
            need bear canisters if they camp at a bear locker each night. Yosemite to
            Red's Meadow appears to require them- unless you can make the 35 miles from
            Tuolumne to Red's in one day.

            All that said, I don't know if the rangers would consider the electronic
            device an acceptable substitute to a proper counterbalanced bear hang.

            Jim
            2008 JMT
            2009 ???

          • jimqpublic@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 21 6:49 AM
              Clarification- While bear canisters aren't required for much of the central
              portion of the JMT, proper food storage is. Which gets back to the question
              of whether the rangers (and the bears!) would consider this device
              acceptable in lieu of the the hang method.

              On Mar 21, 2009 6:38am, JimQPublic@... wrote:
              > On Mar 19, 2009 9:30pm, jhkays2000 jkays@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Has anyone tried this one yet even though it is NOT APPROVED by the
              > Sierra bear group? I have thought about carrying one for the overflow
              > that won't fit in our Bear Vault for this summer's JMT thru-hike.
              > >

              > If you look at the map on
              > http://sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/foodstoragemap.htm you will find
              > that most of the JMT can be hiked without a bear canister being required.
              > In Sequoia/Kings there are bear boxes at several locations and my permit
              > last summer stated that through hikers (it didn't specify which trail)
              > don't need bear canisters if they camp at a bear locker each night.
              > Yosemite to Red's Meadow appears to require them- unless you can make the
              > 35 miles from Tuolumne to Red's in one day.

              > All that said, I don't know if the rangers would consider the electronic
              > device an acceptable substitute to a proper counterbalanced bear hang.

              > Jim
              > 2008 JMT
              > 2009 ???

            • rjames888
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 21 10:14 PM
                We are visiting the only, and rapidly diminishing home of these once widespread and wild creatures.

                Do yourself and all the bears and rodents a favor and get or rent an approved canister.

                As has been stated previously, a habituated and troublesome bear is killed. You merely lose a few days worth of food.

                I am of the opinion that if a very few humans were put down, this problem would be solved rather quickly.

                Who wants to be first?

                I thought so, so quit the engineering and denial and whinging over a couple pounds and get or rent a can and go enjoy the trail with no worries.
              • dc t
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 22 7:05 AM
                  I agree. The bear containers did add a few extra pounds, but hey, I had a fairly comfy seat rather than a rock to park my butt on while camped.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 22 12:58 PM
                    " Do yourself and all the bears and rodents a favor and get or rent an
                    approved canister."

                    Did you not read the original post?? What part of the original message gave
                    you any foundation to declare without support that I am hiking without an
                    approved container?
                  • song95139@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 22 2:08 PM
                      Hi All,

                      I agree with Robert that bear canister are to protect the bears from getting your food and at the same time protect your food from the bears.  In doing so, bears are not attracted to hikers as a food source.  It is the responsibility of all hikers to prevent bears from thinking, hikers equals to food availability.

                      With that said, this is what I have done last summer between YV to TM.  I hiked this section in one day without any canister.  The ranger informed me that as long as the food is in your backpack and your are on the move, not sleeping, your are in compliance with their rules.  Therefore, I decided to hike from YV to TM in one long day.  Although,it was a strenuous hike, I made it after about 16 hours of hiking with a day pack.  I do not admit being a strong or fast hiker.  Eventhough, I had plenty of day light hiking on the longest day of the year 6/21, I was walking in the night at the last stretch to TM.

                      TM has food lockers to store all you food.  Another friend who did not want to hike the first leg mentioned earlier, drove our backpacks with canister an all to TM for all of us.  From TM to WP, bear canister was with me all the way.  If one is really determined, he can hike out from TM and get out of Yosemite National Park through Donohue Pass in one day.

                      But then what is the purpose of backpacking in the wilderness.  We are there to enjoy the high sierra by taking the time and get away from the our daily life style.  If you like to hike fast without carrying a canister then you can join Michael Popov and Sue Johnston in their record breaking hike.  See link below.

                      http://home.comcast.net/~pbakwin/fkt/jmt.html

                      As long as you are on the move with your backpack, or awake watching your backpack, you do not need a bear canister.  At least that is how the ranger explained to me.

                      Now, do you plan to be awake for two weeks or more straight without sleep?  If you don't, please carry a bear canister for all the other hikes sake to prevent bears from being attracted to their camps.

                      I have to say that the bear canister is a heavy load to carry.  It is a necessity for hiking in the bears habitat.

                      Sim
                      2008 JMT'er

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 22 2:30 PM
                        My post was not specifically directed at you Mr. Kays.

                        It was more for the masses of people, on this and other boards, that complain about using a bear can and put animals at risk while visiting the only home the animals have.

                        So much effort is put forth and significance is placed on having the lightest pack, it seems to me that the idea of safely enjoying wilderness is forgotten and the point becomes a game of who is more clever and can suffer more by virtue of carrying the least.

                        Do what you will, but don't put the residents of the wilderness at risk so that you can shave a few ponds off your pack weight.

                        Reasonable options exist to allow one to protect ones food and the animals from becoming dependent on it.
                      • intrek40
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 3, 2009
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jhkays2000" <jkays@...> wrote:

                          > Has anyone tried this one yet even though it is NOT APPROVED by the Sierra bear group? I have thought about carrying one for the overflow that won't fit in our Bear Vault for this summer's JMT thru-hike.

                          Not much for regulations but they do have there purpose as already stated. I actually prefer my BV even when not required, and even when I'm not in Bear country.
                          I think the overflow problem affects most of us hikeing the last section going south on the JMT. My plan to deal with this is to max out my BV at the Muir Trail ranch, not counting that day munch fest. Then for the rest of the trip, increase my miles only if I'm not able to supplement a few meals with fish to afford an extra day. I kinda like winging it anyways. Another option would be to put your overflow in an approved bear sack.