RE: [John Muir Trail] John Muir Trail Atlas (Coming Summer '09!)- Cross posted from PCT-L

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2009
      Just taking a shot here, but if you get injured on the JMT, (or anywhere) regardless of where you are and even if you have the luxury of a SAT PHONE, are you really going to bother to call any number but 911? . . . . they'll figure out who's coming to get you.
      Isn't this why 911 was devised? mauled by a bear? HEy no problem, just stay conscious, don't let that limb fall off or that blood rush out too fast . . . and oh, look up the right agency . . . and then again, knowing our bureaucracy, they'll no doubt put you on hold anyway . . . but I'd just dial 911, if I could at all.

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: roleigh@...
      Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:19:10 -0500
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] John Muir Trail Atlas (Coming Summer '09!)- Cross posted from PCT-L

      Erik,

      Can you put together a political (county border dashed lines) map of the

      JMT? My understanding is that if you need to call for search and rescue

      (say, if you had a Sat phone), you need to call the Sherif's office if you

      are inside a national forest or national wilderness area, but if you are

      inside a national park, you call the ranger's office. Knowing at what point

      on the trail you call whom (ph. nbr.) would be a very useful piece to add

      sales power to those who know the trail, because most who know the trail do

      not know the answers to this question.

      Thanks!

      Roleigh Martin