RE: [John Muir Trail] Transport from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2009
      You can pay a ton of cash to have someone come and get you and drive you down to Lone Pine, but I can tell you from experience that getting a ride out of the portal is a safe and easy thing to do, OR SPEND THE BUCKS. I'm sure someone here has researched it and knows exactly which crusty old guy will drive up from LP, and charge you XX dollars to get a ride down in his beater truck (I've seen this one)
      I'll just assume that maybe you're a female and that might influence your desire to thumb from the portal, but no doubt you will be coming down with lots of other hikers��lots of them women, with families or . . . I am 50, six feet and usually pretty ripe by the time I get to the portal and I have gotten rides from all types of people, including a few little old ladies, that just came up for the day.
      when you get off the trail and set your pack down there at the portal store��first bask in teh glory of your accomplishment and then, look around��most likely you'll see a number of other backpackers, loading into a car. just ask.
      You'll no doubt also not be alone in your quest, so team up. It has also been my experience that the fat guy driving the BIG truck will not pick you (me) up . . . it's the little old lady with the dirty Toyota, or some such tiny car and big heart.
      There's also guilt��Twice I've just walked up to the couple with the GIANT EMPTY SUV and said, as they plopped their cooler in that empty back of the truck, "any room in there." I got the ride.
      Lastly, the portal is like being out in the middle of the sierra��there aren't any trouble makers or bad types, just hikers, families, tourists that only want to drive up and stand at the base of the great whitney��they come for the burger or the pancakes, without all the dirt and hassle of actually hiking. THey're all good folk.
      There's really only one road that goes from the portal to Lone Pine. it has a few turn-offs, but in general, you have a good idea that you are going in a straight, safe, line.
      bob

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: b_danisch@...
      Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 02:12:54 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Transport from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine

      What are the options for transportation from Whitney Portal down to Lone Pine? I'm willing to hitch if that's the only option, but I'd prefer not to.