Group permits vs. individual permits out of Yosemite

  • Shane Gammon
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
      When applying for permits out of Yosemite for a group, is it recommended that we apply for individual permits instead of a group permit? If you apply as a group, does the wilderness office give separate permits to each group member or just one to the group leader? The reason I ask is in the situation that that the group may get temporarily separated on the trail or if several people want to make a side trip while others stay at camp, if anyone runs into a ranger who is checking permits would it be acceptable to tell the ranger that the group leader is not currently with you? Or do the rangers expect each hiker to have an individual permit or always be with the group leader?

      Thanks!
    • cjoslyn99
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014

        If you are trying to get a reservation in advance, you're better off applying as a group b/c there is no guarantee everyone will get a permit reservation for the same date since all the applications are processed separately.

        When you go there to get your actual permit (assuming everyone is there) you can ask the permit office to issue individual permits, but otherwise they'll be issued to the trip leader.  If they are all issued to a trip leader, you do need to hike as a group.  Doesn't mean you all need to stay in lockstep but you need to be on the same itinerary.  You should be OK if you're on a down day and people want to do day hikes from base camp.  Generally, rangers aren't going to bother you when you're in the middle of nowhere but if you're around entry/exit points to the wilderness that's where you could run into issues if people are off doing their own thing w/ backpacking gear.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2014
          I organize a group each year to do the JMT, and typically the group numbers around 6.  When you get your permit, you can ask for three permits for groups of two people if you have a reservation for 6, you inform the ranger your group is made up of three hiking speeds (fast, medium, slow), and they've been very good at issuing 3 permits, each with a head count of 2.  Each of the indicated group leaders has to be in the permit office and their name goes on the permit for them, with a indicated head count of 2.  If your name is not on a permit, as long as you are near a hike who has a permit whose head count can accommodate you, then you're good.  Some rangers are less fussy about you having to be in eyesight of the group leader though.

          I find the above arrangement suitable.

          Roleigh

          _

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2014
            Thank you for the information. I didn't realize we could split a group when picking up the permits, but that would work out great!
          • casey.cox@att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2014
              I don't know about Yosemite Park.  I have had Forest Service Offices photocopy permits for each party member.  It's worth asking.
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2014
                I forgot to mention, in my situation, we told the Ranger that we were camping at the same camp site each night.  that the hiking speeds pertained to where we are at during the day.

                I do not know if reservations can be split into multiple groups (ie, a reservation for 6 is split into 3 groups of pairs), if each pair intends to camp at different sites and exit the trail earlier than the other pairs.

                Roleigh

                _

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 28, 2014
                  Another option is to use the cameras in the group to take a picture of the permit you're dependent on.  It's better than having nothing on you when a ranger stops you.

                  _