Which sleeping bag????

  • jim.ennis
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2009
      My wife and I are planning a 19-day thru-hike of the JMT beginning on 8/17/09 and will finish on or about 9/4/09. I have read a lot of different posts regarding which temperature rating your bag should be for this trip, but I have found no true consensus. I understand that everyone sleeps differently, as far as warm or cold sleepers, but I wanted to get an idea from this group as to what would be more appropriate. Currently, my wife and I have 2 bags each. Our winter bags are: Montbell Alpine #1 Down bag (mine - 15 deg) and Marmot Helium (hers - 15 deg). Our 3-season bags are: Marmot Atom (mine - 40 deg) and Mountain Hardwear Lumina 45 (hers - 45 deg). We initially planned to take the 3-season bags, but how smart will this turn out to be. We will each have a Montbell UL down jacket that could be worn while sleeping if we decided to take the 3-season bags.
      Let me know what you think,
      Jim
    • Ima Person
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 15, 2009
        3 season bag, Jim,  you can always put on spare clothes if needed.   Even if you camp up high the trend is in your favor for good weather.  With the UL jacket and possibly a rain jacket windbreaker, you would probably be quite toasty.
        Al

        ________________________________
[...]

      • Randy Forsland
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 15, 2009
          A lot also depends your "entire" sleep system which includes pad and tent. If you are sleeping under a tarp, a 40 degree bag might get chilly, but in a double wall tent, it will be fine. I used a 40 degree bag on all of my previous JMT thruhikes which occurred anywhere from the beginning of July to mid September and I was quite comfortable. I tried thruhiking Oregon last September with the same bag but used a single walled tarptent instead. I got little cold during the trip and found that I had to wear some extra clothes to bed. I always slept in just shorts and teeshirt on my JMT hikes in the same bag.

          Redwood

          ____________ _________ _________ __
[...]

        • Tim Cahalan
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
            I took my Atom on our JMT hike last year (approx same dates), with a silk liner, and it was fine.  There were certainly a few chilly nights, but nothing too bad, and I'm NOT a cold weather guy.  I say it's a no-brainer to take it.

            Tim

            ________________________________

          • bcooper67@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
              I agree with Tim.  Take the Atom.  My buddy and I did a quick 10 day JMT thru-hike last year during the last week of Sept and burned up.  We had originally planned on taking Marmot Atoms, but then changed to Marmot Heliums after quite a few people suggested that we would freeze.  Our second night on the trail, just below Donahue Pass, it got down to 25 degrees with the wind whipping through the pass.  We were using pancho/tarps so there was very little block from the wind.  We both stayed comfy, but burned up evry night after.  I wish we'd have stuck with our original plans.

              Turbodog

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
                Hi Group,
                I'm having a hard time determining what temp bag to bring too - I have my eye on this great ultralight Montbell called the UL Spiral Down Hugger #3, rated at 30F. What I like about is it has stretch and I'm claustrophobic, so I think I will have some freedom of movement in it. What I would like to ask is if I will be ok with the 30F weight is 1lb 3 oz, or get the 15 F which weighs 2.0 lbs. I'll be in the Whitney Zone the last weekend of July. I'm also going to do a short hike to Cloud's rest in Yosemite mid-June.
                I'm a warm sleeper, but never slept at these altitudes before. I plan on bringing a two-layer tent to block out some of the elements.
                Thank you for your advice!
                VC.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
                  VC,  just speaking for myself, I don't buy a bag for just one trip.  I would suggest you evaluate where else you will use the bag and then buy appropriately.  With the colder rated bag weighing nearly 1 pound more, the weight is significant from my perspective.  When I hiked last year, I had my bag, a silk liner, and then compensated with clothing depending on where I camped.  It worked very well and kept my bag weight under 2 lbs.   My last resort solution is to put on the rain jacket, which I never had to do.   You mention that you are a "warm sleeper" so for this trip the 30f bag probably would suffice with a double-wall tent.

                  Al

                  ________________________________

[...]

                • David Carbiener

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
                      Temp ratings are funny. I'm a warm sleeper, but a 25 deg Western
                      Mountaineering down
                      bag (well-reviewed generally) did not keep me warm at 26 outside, and I was
                      inside
                      a reasonable tent. I wore everything I had.

                      Yes, normally you'd be in good shape at the end of July with a 30 deg bag.
                      But you'd
                      better have some warm layers as backup until you really know how warm a bag
                      is.

                    • alisaortega
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
                        Hi all. I have to chime in on this one. I did JMT last summer for the first time and am returning this summer. I too was researching everything. I good friend of mine introduced me to the "sleeping quilt". You can buy one but I made mine. Took me about one evening and cost about $80.00. I slept in light fleece and socks. Awoke to frost and frozen water a few times and I was never cold. You always meet people on the trail and swap stories. Many were amazed at how light/small my pack was and even more so when the saw the size of the quilt. It packs down to the size of about a cantalope. You can get the pattern, fabric and all you need, or already made through Ray Jardene's website (sorry, the spelling may not be correct). Happy hiking. See you on the trail starting Aug. 23.

                        Alisa

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ***** <sf_lawofattraction@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Group,
                        > I'm having a hard time determining what temp bag to bring too - I have my eye on this great ultralight Montbell called the UL Spiral Down Hugger #3, rated at 30F. What I like about is it has stretch and I'm claustrophobic, so I think I will have some freedom of movement in it. What I would like to ask is if I will be ok with the 30F weight is 1lb 3 oz, or get the 15 F which weighs 2.0 lbs. I'll be in the Whitney Zone the last weekend of July. I'm also going to do a short hike to Cloud's rest in Yosemite mid-June.
                        > I'm a warm sleeper, but never slept at these altitudes before. I plan on bringing a two-layer tent to block out some of the elements.
                        > Thank you for your advice!
                        > VC.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 16, 2009
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "alisaortega" <alisaortega@...> wrote:

                          I second Miss Ortega's recomendation! I too made a homemade quilt from a kit from Ray Jardine's website. It is perfect for the JMT. For my second year hiking the JMT I went even lighter (1 pound even) and much more expensive Nunatak 32 degree down quilt. I love them both and never ever feel restricted. They are by far the most comfortable way for me to sleep outdoors!

                          Here are the links:

                          http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

                          http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_specialist.htm

                        • Patronio@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 17, 2009
                            Western Mountaineering Highlite 40ºF is unbelievable warm if and very little
                            layers are needed. Try it out.
                            J.