Re: Getting to Shepherd Pass

  • julesnmaya
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2009
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "vicarious_hiker"
      I remember an ex-boyfriend who knew the Sierra very well encouraging me to do Shepherd Pass rather than Onion Valley to get to the JMT many years ago; he was mad and wanted me punished. If you are wanting to give yourself time, and enjoy your walk, I would say that Onion Valley is definitely your better option. Try to spend one night at Onion Valley as you are planning (high enough to begin to acclimate)--easy camping there with water, leave early in the morning and you can spend a lovely first night at Charlotte Lake with just a little backtracking to the JMT. Kearsarge Pass is a beautiful and relatively easy (you'll still feel the climb) east side entrance to the JMT and I highly recommend it.