Re: [John Muir Trail] Female solo hiker

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 9, 2009
      That is not the type of pipe weed I was referring to.

      > If you're a competent backpacker and you've done solo trips before, there's no reason to fear the JMT. It's not like the bad elements are hiking in to cause trouble and harass single women . . . it's not like being (not that I have, but only anecdotal ) on the Appalachian trail (cue the banjo) and having to walk through or in close proximity to small towns and small minds. Not that there aren't anything but good folk along the A.T. but given that people that might be a problem . . . I'm simply saying, THERE AIN'T NOBODY ON THE JMT THAT DON'T BELONG. there's the occasional canteen totin' eccentric, but I've never heard of anyone, male or female being bothered out in the middle of nowhere.
      > Depending on how you are getting to wherever, when you finish the trail, hitch-hiking is always something to be cautious of, even for guys, but I have maybe mentioned before, that I've been picked up on 395 by families and the literal, "little old ladies," so with prudence and so on, even thumbing can be a safe bet. But again, fear marmots not people when on the JMT . . . unless they're pot smoking math teachers who spell their name, "SKOT" (one of, THE PIPE STORIES)
      > the-other-bob
      > sparklefart.blogspot.com
      >

      > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      > From: lizpaquette@...
      > Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 02:49:03 +0000
      > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Female solo hiker

      > I am looking for advice as a female solo hiker. I plan to hike the JMT
      >
      > this summer with friends; however, there is a chance I may be hiking
      >
      > some or all of the trail alone. I am an experienced lightweight
      >
      > backpacker, so the concerns I have are not preparedness - I anticipate
      >
      > being well-prepared both with gear and fitness. I am looking for
      >
      > advice/comments on whether the trail is safe for a woman to travel
      >
      > alone. Thank you!

    • Talon
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
        remember bear spray and pepper spray have a lot in common ...

        just my thought ..

        Talon

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cynhiker" <lizpaquette@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for advice as a female solo hiker. I plan to hike the JMT
        > this summer with friends; however, there is a chance I may be hiking
        > some or all of the trail alone. I am an experienced lightweight
        > backpacker, so the concerns I have are not preparedness - I anticipate
        > being well-prepared both with gear and fitness. I am looking for
        > advice/comments on whether the trail is safe for a woman to travel
        > alone. Thank you!

      • t_b_sharp
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
          You'll never be "Truly" alone unless you want to be. Besides, Raider Nation doesn't go above 9'000 feet. It's a law....LOL

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cynhiker" <lizpaquette@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for advice as a female solo hiker. I plan to hike the JMT
          > this summer with friends; however, there is a chance I may be hiking
          > some or all of the trail alone. I am an experienced lightweight
          > backpacker, so the concerns I have are not preparedness - I anticipate
          > being well-prepared both with gear and fitness. I am looking for
          > advice/comments on whether the trail is safe for a woman to travel
          > alone. Thank you!

        • Jim Martin
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
            Carry Bear Spray just in case.  Having said that I saw at least 3 solo women when I did my JMT trip, one of them was from Switzerland.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
              I am a woman and I have done several Sierra solo outings, including the JMT,
              and I've met a few other solo women along the way. I pretty much agree with
              the other posters--the JMT is a very popular trail in the summer time
              (considerably less so after mid-September, which is when I did it last year
              and even still it was fine) and never once in all my years of backpacking
              there solo or otherwise did I feel remotely threatened--in fact most people
              you meet there are pretty friendly and helpful. I would not recommend
              camping at trailheads if you can avoid it, which you probably already know.
              As for hitching, last year I got a ride out from the Portal to Lone Pine
              from some friendly climbers, and took public buses the rest of the way home
              which worked out beautifully--I loved not having to worry about leaving my
              car at a trailhead for 3 weeks.

              As for bears (the other most popular "aren't-you-terrified-of" question I
              got when I told people about my trips) definitely follow all the bear
              precautions. They only seem to be a problem in the more heavily travelled
              sections like Yosemite or Vidette Meadow, and even then they are easy to
              scare off, but better if you don't have to deal with them at all. That
              being said, if you feel better carrying bear or pepper spray, by all means
              carry it-- if you feel safer you'll have a better trip.

              Hope this helps and feel free to ask me other questions if you like. You're
              in for an amazing journey, you'll see!

              Laura

              On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM, cynhiker <lizpaquette@...> wrote:

              > I am looking for advice as a female solo hiker. I plan to hike the JMT
              > this summer with friends; however, there is a chance I may be hiking
              > some or all of the trail alone. I am an experienced lightweight
              > backpacker, so the concerns I have are not preparedness - I anticipate
              > being well-prepared both with gear and fitness. I am looking for
              > advice/comments on whether the trail is safe for a woman to travel
              > alone. Thank you!

            • Robert W. Freed
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
                  I have hiked the JMT several times in the last five years. I have paired up with single females more than once. Not constant hiking companions, but trail buddies who often hike or camp together. The JMT is a busy trail during the summer. You will be able to make friends fast. Running into the same people day after day, you quickly become friends. Also bad people are just plain lazy. Once you get more than half a day out you leave the evil ones behind.
                  On the PCT (Mexico to Canada) many females do the trail every year solo. In the last decade I have never hear of one being hurt from other people. A few stories of, "boy that guy was creepy." But that is it.

                My advice is, don't let your fear of others keep you from the trail.

                Robert, happily married solo hiker.