RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Any thoughts on ultralight packs vs. regular packs

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
      Have you ever had "saloon pilot" crackers by Diamond Bakery? sometimes you can find them at an Asian market or at Long's Drugstore. They are really thick and won't break easily.
      Claire

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 10, 2009
        We called this stuff Hard Tack up in Canada when I used to go out hunting with my uncles. Saw a picture on some website where they had a display that had and example of hard tack from 1852 still intact. Remember having to smash it with a rock and dip in my powered milk to soften it enough to eat. Pop Tarts are infinitely better!!
        Derek

        ________________________________
        Robert.....Sorry you missed the squeeze cheese..!!! Glad someone remembers pilot biscuits. . . . Well can' say if the cart is ready as it's probably well snowed in but.. Just finished inventory/work lists...so yes...I'm ready....
        to the ? of a solo woman hiker,,,I spent a lot of weeks solo trail working over the years.... the 1st night or 2 you might be apprehensive but then...go for it....You'll be glad you did..as expressed by the guys in the previous posts......

        Patt

        Yup, I remember pilot biscuits from my first whitney summit at nine, but sadly,
        I did not get the squeeze cheese. Is your cart charged up and ready for the
        summer?
        Bob

        sparklefart.blogspot.com

        > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        > From: sntrekker@...
        > Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:22:18 -0700
        > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Any thoughts on ultralight packs vs.
        regular packs

        > Robert. . .Thanks for brightening the day.....! ! !
        > now...what ever happened to : pilot biscuits and squeez cheese?????
        revealing my age,.Patt

        regular
        > packs

        > When I first took Pop Tarts it was intended to be a couple of
        times
        > treat on the trip. Over the years it changed. Now we stagger from our
        beds
        > stir up the fire put the frying pan on the fire add a bit of margarine and
        toss
        > in the Pop Tarts. After we eat them I light up my pipe and we figure out
        what
        > we're having for breakfast.
        >

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Rogers
        <john_rogers68@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >> Robert that was a good one. For me Pop Tarts are too heavy to carry on
        the
        > JMT. I like to put my dirty underwear in a pot of boiling water, stir for
        a few
        > minutes, and waa la; soup is on!
        >
        >> John.

        . .