Transportation from Yosemite to Tahoe

  • herbstroh
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
      Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but this group has wide experience on transportation to and from trail heads.

      I am planning to hike the Tahoe to Yosemite trail, southbound Meeks Bay to TM. My current plan is to leave my car at TM, hitch to Lee Vining, take the Eastern Sierra Transit Bus along 395 to either Carson or to the Reno airport (assuming the latter has better transportation options to Tahoe even though it is farther away), and then a shuttle into South Lake Tahoe. From there, hitch or use a local shuttle service to Meeks Bay.

      First question is does anyone have a better idea? I considered hopping off the ESTA at Gardnerville and trying to hitch directly to S Lake Tahoe, but thought that might be slow and unreliable. Second, I have some concern about timing. The Lee Vining pickup is at 8:30 am, so even if I start thumbing early I could miss the connection. To avoid that problem I will probably have to place my car the day before, hitch to Lee Vining and stay overnight, adding a travel day.

      Any thoughts are appreciated.

      Herb
    • LEBRUN
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
        Herb,

        I am hiking from Squaw Valley to Whitney Portal and my travel plans are:

        1. ESTA from Lone Pine to Reno airport (car is parked in Lone Pine).
        2. NLTE from Reno Airport to Squaw Valley
        3. Cable Car to High Camp -- hike over Emigrant Pass to PCT.

        step 2. you could take a taxi to Meeks Bay about $80.

        Bruce

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                    I was able to hitch into Kennedy meadows!!

                  • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                      Herb, when are you looking at starting your hike? If I'm off, and in town, I may be able to give you a lift from Reno to Tahoe. I live in Sparks, NV and go up to Tahoe pretty frequently. I have much of July off already for a few trips, but maybe I can help?
                    • LEBRUN
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014

                      Roleigh and Herb,

                      Hike begins at High Camp (Squaw Valley Ski Area). Head west over Emigrant Pass and pick up the PCT at mile 1142 (Halfmile's map). We then head south on the PCT to Sonora Pass. Hitch or hike into Kennedy Meadows Resort and Pack Station (Zero day). From Kennedy Meadows we head into the Emigrant Wilderness and pick up the PCT near Bond Pass (Jack Main Canyon) in Yosemite. From there we are on the PCT until Reds Meadow where we detour to Rainbow Falls and Iva Bell Hot Springs. We will hike into VVR (Zero Day) via Goodale Pass and out via the Bear Ridge Trail to PCT/JMT (The Lake will be dry). Then its the PCT/JMT to Whitney Portal (hope to camp on top of Whitney).

                      Hope this helps

                      Bruce

                    • casey.cox@att.net
                      Message 11 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                        Bruce

                        I did from Echo Pass to Whitney Portal last year.  I understand how much easier it is to hike out of Kennedy Mdws. through the Emigrant rather than hitchhike back up to the pass.  The portion of the P.C.T. south of Sonora Pass through the Hoover Wilderness is one of my favorite sections, really prefer it to hiking out of Kennedy Mdws.  Depending on when you plan to do this I might be able to help with a resupply/ride at Sonora Pass.

                        Casey

                      • ravi_jmt2013
                        Message 12 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                          I've looked into public transit options to get from Reno to various locations around Tahoe but I have yet to do this.  There are a number of shuttles serving the Reno Airport so if you use ESTA to get to Reno Airport, you could use one of them.  One option would be to take the North Lake Tahoe Express to Tahoe City with one departure leaving Reno Airport at 4pm:
                          http://www.northlaketahoeexpress.com/airport-transportation
                          Then to get to Meeks Bay, you can take TART's Mainline to get from Tahoe City to Tahoma which is a short distance from Meeks Bay.
                          http://www.placer.ca.gov/departments/works/transit/tart/schedules
                        • LEBRUN
                          Message 13 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                            Casey,
                             We did the Squaw valley to Yosemite in july/august of 2011(big snow year).

                            The climb out of Kennedy Meadows to Emigrant Meadows Lake is a big deal at +4300 feet.  I'll take a look at doing the PCT from Sonora Pass south. I an planning a Zero day and food drop at Kennedy Meadows. Can you handle three backpackers?

                            Bruce

                            Message 14 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                              Kim--
                              I liked the idea of the cross-country sections, although was a bit put off by the 10 mile road walk. Any recommendation on sticking with the original Tahoe Yosemite trail versus the PCT alternative at Sonora Pass?

                              My original plan was to go late August, but am considering a late June departure. Any feedback on stream crossings or possible difficult snow sections with an early season trip?

                              Thanks for your suggestions.

                              Herb
                            • herbstroh
                              Message 15 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                Thanks for your offer!

                                Originally I planned late August but am thinking about late June. I will touch bases with you offline when the dates are getting set to see if we can work something out. I would be happy to pass gas and buy you lunch.

                                Herb
                              • nedtibbits
                                Message 16 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                  Just wondering...

                                  Why do people start at Squaw instead of Donner Pass (Donner is the PCT section divider between K & L, easy to get to, and has good parking)? Is it the climb up from Donner SoBo? Isn’t starting high for those used to sea level a little rough?

                                  ...not a bad idea, though, ride the tram to the top and wander out done with your climb for the day!

                                  Ned Tibbits, Director
                                  Mountain Education
                                  www.mountaineducation.org

                                  Message 17 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                    Roleigh--
                                    The TRT and Tahoe Yosemite trails overlap for about 27 miles. They diverge at the Southernmost corner of the TRT near Meiss Meadow. Per online sources there "is a trail "T" junction out of the Northeast intersecting with the North-South line of the PCT and TYT. The Tahoe Rim Trail heads Northeast towards Big Meadow from here along with the trail down to our South Upper Truckee trailhead."
                                  • Kim Fishburn
                                    Message 18 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                      The PCT south of Sonora Pass is one of my all time favorite trails. After you climb from the highway to the crest you stay near the crest for about 6 miles. Some really good views.  I like the Emigrant wilderness, but I'd like it a lot more without all the horse packers.

                                      I had my cousin bring food up to Lake Alpine. Last time I checked the resort there accepted packages but I'd check with them to see if they still do. The trail from the Mokulmne River to the top has no shade, and no water till you get near the top so make sure you carry plenty. With no shade you may end up up with plenty of bugs flying around you. I'm not sure how good that trail is. Last I heard it was in good shape, but before that I had heard it was initially hard to follow once you first started the climb from the river. My impression was that the Forest Service wasn't too concerned with maintaining it.

                                      After you enter Yosemite keep an eye out for the biggest patch of wild onions I've ever seen. Its on the west side of the trail.

                                      Kim

                                      Message 19 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                        Keep in touch as your plans firm up. I'm looking at doing a JMT trip staring June 20th, but that is depending on how much more snow we get. Right now we are sitting at less than last year, which was bleak, so I'll probably stick with it.I put in for a Whitney overnight permit in mid- June as well, so if our group gets drawn, you could get a lift from Whitney Portal to Reno if you wanted. Keep in touch.
                                      • LEBRUN
                                        Message 20 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                          Ned

                                          I use Squaw Valley because of the Cable Car ride to High Camp. From High Camp I go over Emigrant Pass and pickup the PCT on the West side at about PCTmile 1142 -- great way to start a hike.

                                          Bruce

                                          Message 21 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                            Bruce
                                             Can carry 3 backpackers comfortably.  I have a Chevy Silverado extended cab.  I'll be doing the J.M.T. starting from Reds Mdw. between July 15 and August 5.  Those are the only dates I'm committed to so far this season.

                                            Casey
                                          • LEBRUN
                                            Message 22 of 23 , Feb 14, 2014
                                              Casey,

                                              Current schedule as me heading out of Kennedy Meadows on Friday July 18th.

                                              Bruce

                                              On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM, <casey.cox@...> wrote:

                                              Bruce

                                               Can carry 3 backpackers comfortably.  I have a Chevy Silverado extended cab.  I'll be doing the J.M.T. starting from Reds Mdw. between July 15 and August 5.  Those are the only dates I'm committed to so far this season.

                                              Casey

                                            • djayers
                                              Message 23 of 23 , Apr 3, 2014
                                                Herb, You could take the YARTS bus from the TM Store to Lee Vining instead of hitching that leg.  The bus runs 3x per day and is only $3 one-way.  Info is at http://www.yarts.com/ .