Planning public transportation to YV from SFO

  • jimsantiagohill
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 11, 2014
      This year will be my first visit to Yosemite and the JMT. I have a permit reservation for GP->Illilouette for 7/24. I will be flying from North Carolina into San Francisco on the 22nd with a scheduled arrival time of 10:36 AM.  What would be a reasonable estimate for travel time from SFO to YV using public transportation?  Should I be able to make this transition before sundown?  I will be coming into the park via YARTS, would that qualify me to stay in the backpackers campground that first night of the 22nd?  I understand that picking up my permit the day before my hike begins qualifies me to stay there the night of the 23rd.

      Since there is a lot of chatter about the unpleasantness of the YV backpackers campground in the forum,  does anyone have a better arrival / entry strategy idea for a JMT newbie on a budget?  Planning the actual hike seems much easier for me at this point than planning how to get there, get on the trail,  and then home again.
      Jim
    • Edwardo Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
        Not sure what time you be getting into the valley, but yes you can stay at the backpacker campground.  It not all that bad there. If you get there after dark you just have to be worry about finding a camp site. The rangers would have all ready check people for there permits. What you want to do is get off at Curry Village then take the shuttle to North Pines campground walk to the back of the campground there you find the BP campground.

        On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:52 PM, "jimsantiagohill@..." <jimsantiagohill@...> wrote:

[...]

      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
          "I will be flying from North Carolina into San Francisco on the 22nd with a scheduled arrival time of 10:36 AM.  What would be a reasonable estimate for travel time from SFO to YV using public transportation?"

          I'm also on the east coast so I am looking at similar logistics.  I think that your flight arrives a bit too late to attempt to take the afternoon Amtrak/Yarts combination (leaving the Ferry Building at 12:45 pm and Emeryville at 1:25pm).  While possible if everything goes perfectly, this leaves little margin of error in my opinion.

          There are two other options that I can think of:  (1) The most common approach is to spend the night in San Francisco or Oakland (Jack London Square area) and then take the morning Amtrak/YARTS combination to Yosemite.  Given your arrival time, this would provide an opportunity to see San Francisco briefly if that's something you want to do.  The downside is that hotels are not cheap.  (2) There is a late afternoon Amtrak train that will get you into Merced shortly before 9pm.  You could look into spending the night in Merced and then taking YARTS to Yosemite the following morning.  Motels are cheaper in Merced.  This is an option I am considering but you will need to take a taxi to/from the Amtrak station in Merced to the motels and I'm not sure the cost savings is going to be that significant vs staying in SF or Jack London Square.
        • groundhogsteve
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
            Assuming your plane arrives on time, you will be able to make it to the backpacker's camp that evening, but you'll have to step lively as they say.

            Once you have your stuff, take the AirTrain shuttle within SFO to their BART station.  On BART, there's a couple of easy options for where you can connect to Amtrak:

            Option A: Take BART to downtown San Francisco, get off at the Embarcadero Station.  Up at the street level, walk east two blocks to the Ferry building, and then just to the south of the Ferry Building, there is a smaller building - that is where the Amtrak bus stops (IIRR, the Amtrak has a storefront on the back side of that building).  The current Amtrak schedule shows a bus would leave there at 12:45 pm and connect to the train at Emeryville, train departs 1:25 pm and arrives Merced at 4:13 pm.  Advantages:  Get to see a little bit of downtown SF from above ground, nice views of the city as the bus crosses the Bay Bridge.

            http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/683/59/San-Joaquin-Schedule-011314.pdf

            Option B: Take BART to Richmond.  You take a yellow line train toward Pittsburg/Bay Point, since that is the only one that departs SFO, and transfer at one of the downtown Oakland Stations (12th St., 19th St, or MacArthur) to a red line Richmond train or an orange line Richmond train.  The northbound Orange line train should be running literally in sync with the yellow line train through Oakland, it's best to do the actual transfer at 19th Street.  At Richmond, the walk is 50 yards from BART to the Amtrak stop, the Amtrak San Joaquin train departs at 1:34 pm, arrives Merced at 4:13 pm,

            Link to BART map and schedules:  http://www.bart.gov/schedules/byline

            [In case you're curious, if time is running short the Richmond alternative theoretically works up until the 12:09 departure from SFO arriving at Richmond at 1:30, the Embarcadero/Amtrak Bus option theoretically works up until until the 11:54 departure from SFO arriving Embarcadero at 12:26 pm. The 12:09 out of SFO doesn't get you to Embarcadero quick enough to walk to the Ferry building arriving at Embarcadero at 12:41, it probably takes five minutes to get out of the station and walk to the Amtrak bus stop if you by sheer luck come out of the western, closer end of the Embarcadero Station.]

            From Merced Amtrak, the YARTS bus to the Valley departs at 5:30 pm, arrives at the Visitor Center at 8:17 pm, and the from the Visitor Center, take the free Valley Shuttle from stop 10 on the other side of the street in front of the Visitor Center to stop 18 Stables/North Pines campground.  The backpacker's campground is towards the back part of North Pines.  The shuttle operates until 10pm

            I would suggest you pre-buy your Amtrak Ticket online in case time runs short.

            If you need help in figuring out your return, PM me and I'd be happy to help.  I'm sort of a transit geek who used to live in the Bay Area.

            Likewise , if anybody else needs help on figuring out transit options, PM me.  Glad to be of service.

          • casey.cox@att.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
              Jim

              There is another option.  49er Cab Company out of Sonora, Ca. told me last week he will pick someone up at the San Francisco Airport and take them directly to Yosemite Valley for under $400.  I believe it's about a 4 1/2 hour drive.  He can also pick someone up at the end of the Bart Line or at the Amtrak Station in Modesto.  He quoted a pick up in Modesto and delivery in about 2 hours to Yosemite Valley for $250.  He uses Ford Crown Victorias, not sure how many persons and backpacks he can carry.  He also has a Suburban for larger groups and more money.

              Their phone number is 209-532-8294.

              Casey

            • berdomb
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
                 It does seem a bit rushed to get luggage from claim,  Take BART to Amtrak station  for the San Joaquin, while purchasing tickets, etc when you dont know where you are going the first time.  Leaves little time to spare, or to get something to eat for your lunch.  Obviously can be done though.

                Fly in night before is a possibility, spend night near SFO.  Travellodge is only about $90 and has an airport shuttle.  Probably the cheapest you will find close by with transportation. Then take your time the next day.

                Since you dont need to get to Yosemite on 22nd evening, you might prefer to stay at the Yosemite Bug $30 for dorm (hostel), and can get to park about 9am on 23rd if like.  On the YARTS route near Mariposa.
              • berdomb
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
                  Not sure Id want to straggle into backpacker campground at 9pm to look for a spot btw.  From what Ive read, it fills up starting at noon. By late afternoon its pretty full, sometimes people have to share spots.  Car campers are known to overflow into it.  For a very late arrival on the 22nd Id spring for Curry village, make a regular campground reservation, or stay outside the park on the Yarts route in Mariposa to El Portal.  I dont think you can beat the Yosemite Bug though.
                • robert shattuck
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
                    "Car campers in the BC"

                    Nah, the BC in the valley is usually only ever maybe fifty to 75% full....and I've never seen the place poached by car campers---you want that action you have to get up to the TM BC, which is maybe what you heard about.

                    As for the valley BC, I have been there many an August day.... Not usually arriving (at stop #18) until 2 or 3 and my experience has always been to find the place maybe 25-30 percent of capacity.

                    This said, yeah, it's not a problem to get a spot in the afternoon, but it is annoying and to be expected to have people, legal and otherwise to arrive in the late night hours.

                    Legit backpackers show up late as well as "the locals" climbers, valley homeless, all who have figured out when the nightly ranger patrols have already passed through.

                    The valley BC is pretty tame, but I would encourage your first move in TM not to be for a beer and burger, but rather a spot in the BC---once you've got a spot, tent up, $5 few, paid---then go get drunk and done on the finest burgers on the eastern edge of Yosemite!!!

                    The BC in TM really does seem to get all types; bike tourists, stealthy dirt-bag climbers, car-campers, who park down in the long-term lot and walk in with a pack and tent and I think a lot of backpackers who just get in late, avoid the fee and get out at first light--I've had people muzzle up to my spot a few times and again, unlike the valley, TM really does get full, with lots of people sharing spaces---so if you're fast or slow and meet someone on the trail that you might like to share with, say so--as you might need a friendly face.

                    One might be a little pissed out in the wide-open backcountry to have a stranger ask (or not!!!) to share a spot, but in a place like the TM backpackers camp, my thinking is one shouldn't be so possessive and snarly when someone asks if they can share your ample spot. I shared with three people last August, but I've seen some crusty geezers get all pissed if you just look at them with the intent to ask. Funny.

                    Bob Shattuck

                    Sent from my all-knowing device

                  • berdomb
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 12, 2014
                      Thanks for that input,  I know I heard TM was really bad
                    • Jim Hill