Red's Meadow Resupply- Buy or Send

  • singlespeedco1
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2014
      I am planning or resupplying at Red's Meadow and I was curious what food is available to purchase.  I am trying to decide if it is worth sending a resupply box there, or if they have enough food variety to resupply for the 4 nights I plan to take to get to MTR.  I figure it will cost me about $50.0 to send a resupply box there ($15 mailing. $35 pick-up fee).  If it is going to cost me that much should I just buy food at Red's instead? I know I can get into Mammoth to buy supplies, but I do not want to take the extra time off the tail.  Thanks for the input.
    • Deborah Rhoton
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2014
        They offer enough goods to get you by for four days. They also have a hiker barrel that last August was overflowing with loads of good stuff!

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 11, 2014, at 9:38 PM, <singlespeedco@...> wrote:

        I am planning or resupplying at Red's Meadow and I was curious what food is available to purchase.  I am trying to decide if it is worth sending a resupply box there, or if they have enough food variety to resupply for the 4 nights I plan to take to get to MTR.  I figure it will cost me about $50.0 to send a resupply box there ($15 mailing. $35 pick-up fee).  If it is going to cost me that much should I just buy food at Red's instead? I know I can get into Mammoth to buy supplies, but I do not want to take the extra time off the tail.  Thanks for the input.

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2014
          My experience with Reds is they cater primarily to tourists and car campers, not so much backpackers. They do have a good selection of food most of the time, but I would, and always send the 'basic' food requirements I will need until MTR or VVR. I definitely supplement my supplies with some goodies at the store based on my appetite at the time, and definitely eat at the Mule House Cafe! The overflow barrel has been hit-or-miss over the years as well. I think a lot of that depends on when you go through in the season. If it's during peak PCT hiker season, I wouldn't count on much being there! If it's in August, you will have a much better selection, as JMT hikers usually send too much in their re-supplies and will tend to leave more behind.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <singlespeedco@...> wrote:

          > I am planning or resupplying at Red's Meadow and I was curious what food is available to purchase. I am trying to decide if it is worth sending a resupply box there, or if they have enough food variety to resupply for the 4 nights I plan to take to get to MTR. I figure it will cost me about $50.0 to send a resupply box there ($15 mailing. $35 pick-up fee). If it is going to cost me that much should I just buy food at Red's instead? I know I can get into Mammoth to buy supplies, but I do not want to take the extra time off the tail. Thanks for the input.

        • Jo T
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2014
            I remember thinking when I was at Red's, that if I wasn't so strict about my food, I could probably have resupplied. I remember salami, cheese, boxed crackers, chocolate, some poor looking expensive pieces of fruit. It was in September. Certainly four days worth of stuff, not cheap, but not totally prohibitive, so may be worth it.
            The hiker's barrel (singular) didn't have much. I scored a pack of (non-edible) baby wipes and a small bag of dehydrated spaghetti. There were more toiletries than food the particular day I went. The hiker's barrels, however, at MTR were gold!

            JoT.

            Subject: [John Muir Trail] Red's Meadow Resupply- Buy or Send
            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2014

              I resupplied from the store there last year and also at Tuolumne Meadows.  Both had a good enough selection to fit my needs.  Go to this link page for photos the Red's Meadow store interior.

              https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/314401_10151082495504490_76904948_n.jpg

            • Edwardo Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2014
                Think about going up to Mammoth Lakes PO, you can take the bus $ 7 round trip, across the street you can do laundry and there is places to eat up the street they sell killer piza

                On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:10 PM, "amrowinc@..." <amrowinc@...> wrote:

                I resupplied from the store there last year and also at Tuolumne Meadows.  Both had a good enough selection to fit my needs.  Go to this link page for photos the Red's Meadow store interior.

                https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/314401_10151082495504490_76904948_n.jpg

              • ravi_jmt2013
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2014
                  I sent a box to Red's Meadow last year but I could have resupplied from the store for the four day hike to MTR.  The hiker barrel at Red's had a limited selection so I would not count on it.  If you want to remove one possible uncertainty from the trip, then sending a box is probably worthwhile since you will have exactly what you planned on from a nutrition perspective.  That's ultimately why I decided to send the box since it was my first long distance hike and I did not want to take any chances.
                • debrabrownbear
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 12, 2014
                    When I passed through Reds last August, there was enough food in that hiker barrel for an entire JMT hike for four. And gear! I saw extra batteries, a closed cell foam pad, full fuel cannisters, first aid supplies, and even a few items of clothing. Debra
                  • Deborah Rhoton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 12, 2014
                      Debra... We must've been there at the same time! :-)

                      Deborah

                      Sent from my iPhone