Pre-JMT Camping IN Yosemite

  • katyjepsen1
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014
      Where does everyone stay BEFORE they start the JMT? I'm a first time Yosemite visitor, and I am planning to go 2-3 days early to go on day hikes around Yosemite and acclimate a little bit. I have a Lyll canyon permit but I'm waiting to hear back from the last few nights of faxes for a better option (hopefully out Glacier pt or HI/LYV). Is it impossible to get a Camp 4 spot? Are we leaving too much at risk for a walk up campsite? (there seem to be quit a few).

      Half Dome...skip or mandatory on a yosemite visit? Since we'll be around a few days early we can lottery for day hike permits.

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014
        I usually stay in Curry Village, but it is not a place to go for solitude! It is a bit spendy, and they fill up fast for summer dates, but it's a bed and they have common shower facilities. There are also campgrounds, if you don't mind tent camping before you REALLY start yor tent camping experience!

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <katyjepsen1@...> wrote:

        > Where does everyone stay BEFORE they start the JMT? I'm a first time Yosemite visitor, and I am planning to go 2-3 days early to go on day hikes around Yosemite and acclimate a little bit. I have a Lyll canyon permit but I'm waiting to hear back from the last few nights of faxes for a better option (hopefully out Glacier pt or HI/LYV). Is it impossible to get a Camp 4 spot? Are we leaving too much at risk for a walk up campsite? (there seem to be quit a few).
        >

        > Half Dome...skip or mandatory on a yosemite visit? Since we'll be around a few days early we can lottery for day hike permits.

      • Edwardo Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014
          If you have a permit you can go to the backpacker campground in the valley, Camp 6 is a walk up last time I was there they where 6 people to each camp site not sure if that still hold true.

          On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:51 PM, "katyjepsen1@..." <katyjepsen1@...> wrote:

          Where does everyone stay BEFORE they start the JMT? I'm a first time Yosemite visitor, and I am planning to go 2-3 days early to go on day hikes around Yosemite and acclimate a little bit. I have a Lyll canyon permit but I'm waiting to hear back from the last few nights of faxes for a better option (hopefully out Glacier pt or HI/LYV). Is it impossible to get a Camp 4 spot? Are we leaving too much at risk for a walk up campsite? (there seem to be quit a few).

          Half Dome...skip or mandatory on a yosemite visit? Since we'll be around a few days early we can lottery for day hike permits.

        • ravi_jmt2013
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014

            If your timeframe is still outside the reservation window for car camping, I would suggest reserving a car campground spot as soon as they are reservable. Last year, I spent two nights in Yosemite Valley prior to my hike. The first night was at Curry Village ($130 tent cabin) and the second night was at Upper Pines ($20 site). I consider the campground to be a much better value.

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014
              Camp 4 is very tough to get into and there are no other walkins in Yosemite Valley, apart from the backpackers area, where you need a permit, I believe.  There are some walkin campgrounds along the Tioga Rd (120) that Lyell canyon leaves from.  Tuolumne has a number of spots open for walkin but you need to be in line a the TM ranger station (not the wilderness permit office, which is about 1 mile away from the TM campgrounds, store and grill) very very early to get one of those (4am, +5am).

              Or you could camp just outside the park on the Tioga Pass Rd, there are a couple of places at least, just east of the park entrance.  Or get a motel in Lee Vining and do some day hikes.  Or get a motel in El Portal, which is outside the park but an easy drive into the valley.  Or there are condos to rent at Yosemite West, which is an area just off the road to Glacier Point, but strictly speaking “outside” the park, with some holidays condos and chalets to let.  if you google Yosemite West, you’ll find lots of info.

              It’s also posible to snag a tent cabin in Curry Village in the Valley at the last minute - I’ve been able to do that a couple of times, but it’s hit and miss.

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014
                If you come into the park via YARTS, you're allowed to use the backpacker's camp ground, otherwise, you're only able to use the backpacker's camp ground the night before your permit-indicated hike where you got the permit the day beforehand.  This rule nuance (about Yarts) is in the full park compendium rulebook but not widely understood in the signs or handouts.  We have a link to the full Yosemite park compendium in our group library of links.

                _

                On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM, <katyjepsen1@...> wrote:

                Where does everyone stay BEFORE they start the JMT? I'm a first time Yosemite visitor, and I am planning to go 2-3 days early to go on day hikes around Yosemite and acclimate a little bit. I have a Lyll canyon permit but I'm waiting to hear back from the last few nights of faxes for a better option (hopefully out Glacier pt or HI/LYV). Is it impossible to get a Camp 4 spot? Are we leaving too much at risk for a walk up campsite? (there seem to be quit a few).

                Half Dome...skip or mandatory on a yosemite visit? Since we'll be around a few days early we can lottery for day hike permits.

              • Mike Bake well

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014

                    Camp Curry or Yosemite Lodge.  Camp Curry this year.

                    Joe

                    Where does everyone stay BEFORE they start the JMT? I'm a first time Yosemite visitor, and I am planning to go 2-3 days early to go on day hikes around Yosemite and acclimate a little bit. I have a Lyll canyon permit but I'm waiting to hear back from the last few nights of faxes for a better option (hopefully out Glacier pt or HI/LYV). Is it impossible to get a Camp 4 spot? Are we leaving too much at risk for a walk up campsite? (there seem to be quit a few).

                    Half Dome...skip or mandatory on a yosemite visit? Since we'll be around a few days early we can lottery for day hike permits.

                  • robert shattuck

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014

                        I found it -- I see that there is a limit to only one night, so you can have a night via Yarts and a night via your permit.

                        Backpacker camps are intended for use by visitors in possession of an overnight
                        Wilderness Permit or for visitors arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus. Wilderness
                        permit holders may stay in a backpacker camp the night prior to departure and the night
                        after returning from each overnight Wilderness trip.
                        • Users arriving in the park by foot, bicycle, or bus may stay in each backpacker camp for a
                        limit of one night.

                        Page 19, 2013 Compendium.

                        _

                        On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • straw_marmot
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014

                          Katy, did you know that any overnight permit automatically allows you to stay in the backpacker campground (YV or Tuolumne) the night before your hike starts?

                          Hotel accommodation in Yosemite Valley is ridiculously overpriced, and camping in YV is (a) horribly overcrowded, noisy and unpleasant, and (b) always fully booked months ahead.   For that reason, if you're arriving a few days early for acclimatization, rather than doing 2-3 dayhikes, I'd consider just getting a walk-up overnight permit and just do a little 2-3 day loop.  That automatically gives you the first night in the backpackers campground in the valley, then a couple of nights in much more pleasant surroundings.

                          If your 2-3 days acclimatization is based around Tuolumne, I think similar reasoning applies.  Campgrounds always full, other options limited.  My choice would be to just get a walkup permit and head into the backcountry for a couple of days.   Again, if you return to Tuolumne the day before your Lyell JMT starts, you automoatically have that night in the TM backpacker's campground based on your Lyell permit.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014

                              get a different walk up permit each day, and stay legally in the backpackers campground each night.

                              No one says you have to actually use them. You can turn them in and cancel  in the morning if its not something you really want.

                            • blisterinthesun9999
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014
                                Katy,

                                this response is a little off topic but wanted to present another scenario. If in fact you do have to start your JMT hike at Lyell you should try and use those extra days making sure you are acclimated as much as possible to start your JMT hike.

                                spend one day visiting Valley floor (since you have never seen it). seeing, El Capitan, Half dome, waterfalls (which probably will not have much water flowing). do an easy day hike up to Nevada falls or something then I would get the Heck out and make my way up to tuolumne.

                                remember, JMT -Lyell cyn trail head is in Tuolumne meadows which is 8700ft elevation and then climbs to Donahue pass 11,000Ft if i remember. the Valley floor is only like 4000ft. I would spend a few nights at Tuolumne Campgrounds. Do an easy day hike first day there and see how you feel. If you acclimate quickly and are pretty fit there are a few fun peaks to hike up to anywhere from 10,500 to 13,000 FT Mt Dana. Acclimate = Climb high sleep low. Personally, I would climb Dana if I had time. 2nd highest peak in Yosemite and one hell of an awesome view. I like it better then Halfdome. Trialhead is right at the eastern Park entrance off 120 Tioga pass not too far for Tuolumne.

                                another scenario, if you and your party acclimate pretty fast. Get a reservation in advance for Tuolumne to Valley. then you just complete the 1st leg of JMT in reverse. Take valley shuttle back up to Tuolumne and start your SOBO JMT at Lyell.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 11, 2014
                                  +1 on Mt. Dana as a fantastic side trip. It is a fairly rigorous hike, and you are pretty much scrambling the last 3/4 mile or so, but the views are great and it gets your lungs going pretty good!

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 12, 2014
                                    Thanks for all the input. I still haven't heard back about the sunday AND monday nights of fax in requests. Not hearing is good I think? I will check out the Mt. Dana trip for sure!
                                    Yes, I did know I could stay at the backpacker for one night...but if we get up there Friday and our permit doesn't start until Monday or Tuesday then we have those few days to look around, hike, acclimate. I have had trouble in the past getting used to elevation (even had to turn around a few times), so I need to plan this out carefully. I've learned about after the 3rd night at at least 7-8k feet I can start to go up more and more. It's not a fitness level things (I'm very fit), I just get nauseous and a massive migraine at high altitudes if I go up too fast. I have summited Whitney, but it was not easy and took a few days of acclimating at portal (8,500 ft or so), then one night at trail camp (the lower camp, 10k feet?), then summit and out.  I just planned out an itinerary for the trail sleeping at the lowest places we could almost the whole way through. I'll post it later to get some comments/feedback.
                                    Thanks for all the help!
                                    -Katy
                                  • allipilgrim
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 13, 2014
                                      I thought about reserving a car campground site at TM for the night before our JMT start (friend dropping us of wants to spend the night) but the campground doesn't open until July 10th (or 11th?)  But the Backpacker Campground is still open, correct??
                                    • Edwardo Rodriguez
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 13, 2014
                                        Yes they are, make sure you know how to reach it from the store