Calorie planning and cricket flour protein bars

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2014

      So here is a special protein bar.  It's made from cricket flour.  Very environmentally friendly.  Crickets are very high protein and the things are said to taste good.  note that crickets produce 80% less methane than cows.  Presumably per weight of something yielded?  Here is the link.  If anybody tries them please let me know how they are.

      http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/eat-protein-bar-made-crickets-202137612.html?vp=1

      Joe

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2014
        You first Joe ;) !

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

        > So here is a special protein bar. It's made from cricket flour. Very environmentally friendly. Crickets are very high protein and the things are said to taste good. note that crickets produce 80% less methane than cows. Presumably per weight of something yielded? Here is the link. If anybody tries them please let me know how they are.
        >

        > http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/eat-protein-bar-made-crickets-202137612.html?vp=1
        >

        > Joe

      • kellymelissaray
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2014
          You might be surprised!  Crickets are a traditional food in parts of Mexico, and I've had them in a couple of different forms.  Most interesting was as taco filling.  The crickets were incredibly tiny and plentiful...they'd sell them by the scoop.  When heated and mixed with spices, they came off tasting more or less like a finely ground beef.

          In the case of those protein bars, I'd assume they'll take on the flavor of whatever they've added to them.  (Kinda like how "protein isolates" in existing bars probably taste pretty grody until you've added in the flavorings of your choice.)
        • jerome provensal
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2014
            They look like "land shrimps". I would definitely have a taste of the bars if I had a chance.
            But then again, I'm French and we eat escargots and frogs, so what do I know?

            Jérôme  Blog / FB / LinkedIn / IG / Tumblr /