Quarter Domes & Clouds Rest side trip

  • shawnmnold
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9
      Considering taking the side trip to both Quarted Domes & Clouds rest. Curious on people's thoughts to just continue thru to Sunrise as apposed to reversing back to JMT.Also for those who've been, is this a worthwhile additional 5.5 miles to my trip?
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9
        Yes, it is worth it, if you aren't doing Half-Dome. Great views at Clouds Rest, probably equal to or better than Half-Domes, in my opinion. If you are doing Half-Dome, it really depends on how much time and energy you want to expend on side trips. As far as backtracking goes, I would go on to Sunrise, as you are getting a much better view of the Merced Drainage and south towards, Red Peak, Isberg Pass area, the Lyell Fork of the Merced and beyond from Clouds-Rest than anywhere along the lower routed JMT.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 9
          I took in Clouds Rest as a pack-free daytrip on my 2013 NoBo trip and loved it. Half Dome is very special, but it is a crowd scene. Clouds Rest you might have to yourself and it is higher and has a better view (if less dramatic)

          On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM, <shawnmnold@...> wrote:

          Considering taking the side trip to both Quarted Domes Clouds rest. Curious on people's thoughts to just continue thru to Sunrise as apposed to reversing back to JMT.Also for those who've been, is this a worthwhile additional 5.5 miles to my trip?

        • straw_marmot
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 9

            Shawn, there's a spectacular camping spot at the foot of Quarter Domes.   I'll just repost what I mentioned in a thread last year:

            The trail to Half Dome starts North-West. After 0.8 mile, just before the trail bends West and South-West to HD, head off the trail to the right in a North/NE direction through the forest. The trees thin out as you approach the cliff, and soon (0.25 mile) you come to a promontory that would be an ok place to camp itself, but don't stop... keep bushwhacking up the steepish hill NE along the clifftop another 0.25 mile, and there's another promontory just at the foot of the first of the "Quarter Domes".

            Possibly the most spectacular spot I've ever pitched a tent. Unobstructed view of the whole mass of HD and all the way down Yosemite Valley beyond. You'll even find a bunch of rocks that I assembled in the obvious flat spot all ready to anchor you... but do wait to make sure that thunderstorms aren't brewing. Not huge lightning exposure, but you would not want to be there in heavy winds.

            These are views from the camp

            https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ay8a5fz7lwzf38q/W4rj8difLf

          • jerome provensal
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 9
              Waoo, Ralph.
              That's some view there!
               Not for someone who suffers from sleepwalking tho. Just thinking about it makes my stomach churns a bit.

              Jérôme  Blog / FB / LinkedIn / IG / Tumblr /

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 10
                Wow, nice looking shelter! Oh, the views aren't bad either;) ! Is that a Hexamid Twin?

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 10

                  Yes, Hexamid Twin.

                • brucelem12
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 10
                    That looks like a fabulous spot!
                  • supercrunch13
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 10

                      Any way you can point out that spot on a map? I am making my first trip this August and am trying to make every campsite as scenic and memorable as possible.

                    • cehauser1
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 11

                        shawnmnold:

                        I did the Cloud's Rest to Sunrise Lakes detour on my 2013 JMT NOBO hike.  It was well worth it.  From campsite in LYV, I got up to Clouds Rest in the morning and had the whole place to myself.  The view was incredible, looking 1000 feet down to Half Dome and beyond.

                        Rather than reversing back to the JMT, you can continue north from Cloud's Rest to Sunrise Lakes, then hook east and rejoin the JMT at the Sunrise High Sierra Camp.  This gives you a nicer walk, in my opinion, as you go past the nice Sunrise Lakes, and it only adds 3.3 miles to the trip.

                        Chris.

                      • shawnmnold
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 12
                          Thanks Chris,
                          This is what I;m considering.  We do have half dome permits but I may just spend and extra day in this area as to not overdo it on the start of our adventure.