RE: [John Muir Trail] Questions on Bear containers

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      Talon,

      I've not read all the other responses, but I think you'll find that strapping your canister ANYWHERE on the outside of your pack is a mistake. Top, bottom, doesn't matter��although I would certainly recommend putting it up top, of that's your one of two choices. Your canister is going to be your heaviest item and it's either going to be (potentially) whacking you in the head all day, or banging into your ass.

      if you're one of those backpackers that always has junk hanging, dangling from his/her pack, like extra pots, cups, canteens, fifty feet of clothes line, then maybe this won't be an issue for you, but . . . they sell those nifty bear can stow bags with straps and all, but those are just a joke. You rarely see anyone hauling a canister on the outside. it's a waste of energy as it flops around, pulling you off balance to a degree.
      Think of your canister as the new guardian of the gate. You know you have to get it into the backpack, so plan accordingly to make room. It might make you see that you are carrying one too many of a certain thing. You might also find that you're pack is too small and this can be costly. Make sure the canister can, Ideally lay on its side, otherwise you end up having to center it and place gear around it, more than if you lay it down.
      I've always had just a GARCIA. I used to carry TWO of them, both in the pack. Now I just use one and keep whatever extra food I have in a bag, that I choose not to hang, but rather to just bury under rocks (and toss all those extra, dangling pots and you carry, on top!) . . . you'll find on the JMT, or it has been my experience, and we've covered this a lot, but the bears are going to get your food, if the come for it. you can spend time hanging it, or you can just bury it, or find a crevice, or . . . but the bear will get it.
      As for the extra food in the bag. obviously you eat that up as soon as possible, or rather you eat the food you like in the canister and change it out with the stuff in the bag. I always find that there's something that I've grown tired of, that I can live without, that I just can't stomach anymore, that if I lost it to a bear, oh well . . . SO don't put the things you really like into the bag.
      Lastly, since you're worried about the size of your canister, THINK about the type of foods you are bringing. I used to eat nothing but TOP RAMEN NOODLES for dinner. two packs a night. But you can't stick a bunch of ramen in a canister. you need flat packaging to get as much in there as possible and it's a good idea to repack all your food. You shouldn't have to have more than a day or two in the bag, once you leave MTR.
      the other bob

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: h_talon@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 06:50:50 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Questions on Bear containers

      who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the

      choice to use it.

      also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their

      container on their pack, to save space in the pack.

      Talon

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
        I am one of the lucky ones, I was able to buy both a Bearikade Weekender and
        a Bearikade Expedition used, each.

        If I can get resupplied at Charlotte Lake, I take the Weekender; else the
        Expedition. I use a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack, love it, and am able to
        fit the Weekender sideways, while the Expedition has to go vertically.

        I will be doing the entire JMT this summer starting July 19 and am budgeting
        11 days from MTR to WP although we'll probably do it in 10 days. (We're
        going to meet someone at Charlotte Lake and am building in a slack day, if
        we get there on time, we will be doing it in 10 days from MTR to WP).

        On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Talon <h_talon@...> wrote:

        > who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the
        > choice to use it.
        >
        > also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their
        > container on their pack, to save space in the pack.
        >
        > Talon

      • jason
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
          I've been using the BearVault 450 for the last three or four years and I really like it. Before that I borrowed the Garcia, which is heavier and a little larger.
          I like being able to see though it, the fact that I can leave it out in the rain and that it is lighter than the Garcia and substantially less expensive than the Bearikade (the Bearikade weighs 2oz. more, but is larger.
          So far, the 450 has allowed me 4 days worth of food, so I'm good for a five day trip. I have not attempted to use it for longer trips.
          I carry it inside my packs, near the bottom.
          In the Yosemite backcountry, in the summer and fall, I carry it in a 44 liter pack with everything else. Winter backpacking in the snow, I use a 70 liter pack. But, my packs may be a little larger than yours, as I do not use products that use down.
          I hope that helps.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Talon" <h_talon@...> wrote:

          > who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the
          > choice to use it.
          >
          > also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their
          > container on their pack, to save space in the pack.
          >
          > Talon

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
            Hi Matt - It's sadly July 19 because of my teenage daughter who has to be
            back for high school registration on Aug 17. Combined with my appallingly
            low anticipated daily mileage, and zero day in Independence when we collect
            my husband plus resupply, that leads to an earlier start than I would really
            like. We usually hike in August. Tho I have been in the LYV Half Dome
            area in mid June and had no problems. I've heard cutting candy out of the
            diet, and eating lots of vit B or yeast beforehand might help - or maybe
            that just makes you walk faster.

            _____

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
              Roleigh--

              I will look for you. We leave HI 7/22 and exit WP around 8/8

              I am one of the lucky ones, I was able to buy both a Bearikade Weekender and
              a Bearikade Expedition used, each.

              If I can get resupplied at Charlotte Lake, I take the Weekender; else the
              Expedition. I use a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack, love it, and am able to
              fit the Weekender sideways, while the Expedition has to go vertically.

              I will be doing the entire JMT this summer starting July 19 and am budgeting
              11 days from MTR to WP although we'll probably do it in 10 days. (We're
              going to meet someone at Charlotte Lake and am building in a slack day, if
              we get there on time, we will be doing it in 10 days from MTR to WP).

              On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Talon <h_talon@...> wrote:

              > who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the
              > choice to use it.
              >
              > also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their
              > container on their pack, to save space in the pack.
              >
              > Talon

              http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web
            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                Ok for me too! We're leaving Tuolumne 7/19 but you'll probably overtake us
                - in fact you'll have to cos we're not exiting til 8/15! Barbara (with
                husband who looks like Larry David and a 15 year old daughter) .

                _____