RE: [John Muir Trail] Questions on Bear containers

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
      Talon,

      I've not read all the other responses, but I think you'll find that strapping your canister ANYWHERE on the outside of your pack is a mistake. Top, bottom, doesn't matter��although I would certainly recommend putting it up top, of that's your one of two choices. Your canister is going to be your heaviest item and it's either going to be (potentially) whacking you in the head all day, or banging into your ass.

      if you're one of those backpackers that always has junk hanging, dangling from his/her pack, like extra pots, cups, canteens, fifty feet of clothes line, then maybe this won't be an issue for you, but . . . they sell those nifty bear can stow bags with straps and all, but those are just a joke. You rarely see anyone hauling a canister on the outside. it's a waste of energy as it flops around, pulling you off balance to a degree.
      Think of your canister as the new guardian of the gate. You know you have to get it into the backpack, so plan accordingly to make room. It might make you see that you are carrying one too many of a certain thing. You might also find that you're pack is too small and this can be costly. Make sure the canister can, Ideally lay on its side, otherwise you end up having to center it and place gear around it, more than if you lay it down.
      I've always had just a GARCIA. I used to carry TWO of them, both in the pack. Now I just use one and keep whatever extra food I have in a bag, that I choose not to hang, but rather to just bury under rocks (and toss all those extra, dangling pots and you carry, on top!) . . . you'll find on the JMT, or it has been my experience, and we've covered this a lot, but the bears are going to get your food, if the come for it. you can spend time hanging it, or you can just bury it, or find a crevice, or . . . but the bear will get it.
      As for the extra food in the bag. obviously you eat that up as soon as possible, or rather you eat the food you like in the canister and change it out with the stuff in the bag. I always find that there's something that I've grown tired of, that I can live without, that I just can't stomach anymore, that if I lost it to a bear, oh well . . . SO don't put the things you really like into the bag.
      Lastly, since you're worried about the size of your canister, THINK about the type of foods you are bringing. I used to eat nothing but TOP RAMEN NOODLES for dinner. two packs a night. But you can't stick a bunch of ramen in a canister. you need flat packaging to get as much in there as possible and it's a good idea to repack all your food. You shouldn't have to have more than a day or two in the bag, once you leave MTR.
      the other bob

      sparklefart.blogspot.com

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: h_talon@...
      Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 06:50:50 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Questions on Bear containers

      who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the

      choice to use it.

      also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their

      container on their pack, to save space in the pack.

      Talon

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
        I've used a Bear Vault - both the smaller and larger versions. You can see
        what's inside them but they can be a pain to open sometimes. Now I sue the
        Wild Ideas Bearikade. These open using a quarter, but as long as you don't
        lose your quarter, they are great. The lid is attached by a piece of cable,
        so you don't misplace it. The two sizes - Weekender and expedition, each
        hold more and are lighter weight than the equivalent Bear Vault. And you
        can rent them rather than buy. And there is a special $50 flat rental rate
        for thru hikers, including the JMT.

        The Expedition (holds food and fragrant toiletries for one for 9 days) fits
        upright into my ULA Catalyst pack or into my husband's GoLite Quest pack.
        Some people also strap their canisters horizontally across the top of their
        packs.

        Also, remember that you don't nee to ut the first day's snacks and dinners
        into the canister, but will need to put sunscreen, deet, chapstick etc into
        it at night.

        Hope this helps - Barbara

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
          I was once walking along and found a quarter with a hole drilled in it. picked it up and took it home. used an old shoestring to run through it and that has helped me find it and keep it in my trail shorts for a few years. I also don't carry a knife (think we covered this) but just a small retractable exacto knife in a little case no bigger than a quarter. Ran some more of the shoestring through that and . . . I never lose 'em.

          sparklefart.blogspot.com

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
            Barbara,

            You are a wealth of information and a great help with trip planning. I am slightly confused though by your trip dates. I seems with this years snow pack thus far you are hitting the peak for mossies. I am sure there is a good reason, but why July?
            Matt

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
              I am one of the lucky ones, I was able to buy both a Bearikade Weekender and
              a Bearikade Expedition used, each.

              If I can get resupplied at Charlotte Lake, I take the Weekender; else the
              Expedition. I use a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack, love it, and am able to
              fit the Weekender sideways, while the Expedition has to go vertically.

              I will be doing the entire JMT this summer starting July 19 and am budgeting
              11 days from MTR to WP although we'll probably do it in 10 days. (We're
              going to meet someone at Charlotte Lake and am building in a slack day, if
              we get there on time, we will be doing it in 10 days from MTR to WP).

              On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Talon <h_talon@...> wrote:

              > who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the
              > choice to use it.
              >
              > also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their
              > container on their pack, to save space in the pack.
              >
              > Talon

            • jason
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                I've been using the BearVault 450 for the last three or four years and I really like it. Before that I borrowed the Garcia, which is heavier and a little larger.
                I like being able to see though it, the fact that I can leave it out in the rain and that it is lighter than the Garcia and substantially less expensive than the Bearikade (the Bearikade weighs 2oz. more, but is larger.
                So far, the 450 has allowed me 4 days worth of food, so I'm good for a five day trip. I have not attempted to use it for longer trips.
                I carry it inside my packs, near the bottom.
                In the Yosemite backcountry, in the summer and fall, I carry it in a 44 liter pack with everything else. Winter backpacking in the snow, I use a 70 liter pack. But, my packs may be a little larger than yours, as I do not use products that use down.
                I hope that helps.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Talon" <h_talon@...> wrote:

                > who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the
                > choice to use it.
                >
                > also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their
                > container on their pack, to save space in the pack.
                >
                > Talon

              • Barbara Karagosian
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Hi Matt - It's sadly July 19 because of my teenage daughter who has to be
                  back for high school registration on Aug 17. Combined with my appallingly
                  low anticipated daily mileage, and zero day in Independence when we collect
                  my husband plus resupply, that leads to an earlier start than I would really
                  like. We usually hike in August. Tho I have been in the LYV Half Dome
                  area in mid June and had no problems. I've heard cutting candy out of the
                  diet, and eating lots of vit B or yeast beforehand might help - or maybe
                  that just makes you walk faster.

                  _____

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>

                • herbstroh@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                    Roleigh--

                    I will look for you. We leave HI 7/22 and exit WP around 8/8

                    I am one of the lucky ones, I was able to buy both a Bearikade Weekender and
                    a Bearikade Expedition used, each.

                    If I can get resupplied at Charlotte Lake, I take the Weekender; else the
                    Expedition. I use a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack, love it, and am able to
                    fit the Weekender sideways, while the Expedition has to go vertically.

                    I will be doing the entire JMT this summer starting July 19 and am budgeting
                    11 days from MTR to WP although we'll probably do it in 10 days. (We're
                    going to meet someone at Charlotte Lake and am building in a slack day, if
                    we get there on time, we will be doing it in 10 days from MTR to WP).

                    On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Talon <h_talon@...> wrote:

                    > who uses what? and if I may ask why you made the
                    > choice to use it.
                    >
                    > also does anyone use a carry bag to strap their
                    > container on their pack, to save space in the pack.
                    >
                    > Talon

                    http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web
                  • Barbara Karagosian
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2009
                      Ok for me too! We're leaving Tuolumne 7/19 but you'll probably overtake us
                      - in fact you'll have to cos we're not exiting til 8/15! Barbara (with
                      husband who looks like Larry David and a 15 year old daughter) .

                      _____