Lightweight from Happy Isles to Muir Trail Ranch

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2009
      On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:13 AM, sheehan1962 <sheehan1962@...> wrote:
      > It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir
      > Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying
      > weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic
      > for this trail. Any thoughts?

      Second reply to the question- I'll address reducing weight for this
      segment. The easiest and cheapest way to cut weight for this area is
      to resupply often. For your 14 day itinerary you would never need to
      carry more than 3 nights' worth of food. If you're going with a group
      you should be able to get by with one bear can for every two people-
      another big weight savings.

      Happy Isles-Tuolumne. 3 days, 2 nights. Stay at Tuolumne backpacker
      camp on night 3.
      Tuolumne-Red's_Meadow. 4 days, 3 nights. Stay at Reds meadow on night 7.
      Red's-VVR. 4 days, 3 nights. Stay at VVR on night 11.
      VVR-MTR. 3 days, 2 nights. I presume you're hiking out to the
      roadend on day 14.

      Jim
      2008 JMT
      2009 Yosemite-Tahoe or ??