Couple's camping and tent recommendations?

  • bperluss
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014
      Normally, I hike solo and am very happy with my Hexamid solo plus. This year, my husband would like to join me and so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a relatively light weight and comfortable two person tent. We do have an older REI half dome, but I don't think it will stand up well in stormy conditions. I was thinking of of the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or UL3, and noticed a lot of them for sale on Ebay, but am uncertain. Free standing would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. Any preferences and tips for couples camping?
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014
        I actually think your REI Half Dome would do better that the newer BA tents in a major storm. They were good, solid tents! You may have to re-seam-seal a couple of areas if it has sat too long, but should do well for two people. You can split up the weight of the poles and tent between you, making the weight issue a non factor. The older model BA Seedhouse was free standing, but I thought they changed their design to a semi-freestanding one?

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <mojavemoon@...> wrote:

        > Normally, I hike solo and am very happy with my Hexamid solo plus. This year, my husband would like to join me and so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a relatively light weight and comfortable two person tent. We do have an older REI half dome, but I don't think it will stand up well in stormy conditions. I was thinking of of the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or UL3, and noticed a lot of them for sale on Ebay, but am uncertain. Free standing would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. Any preferences and tips for couples camping?

      • Deborah Rhoton
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014
          We used the MSR Hubba Hubba and were very pleased. With stood a significant thunderstorm including hail in our 2012 JMT trip.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:27 PM, <mojavemoon@...> wrote:

          Normally, I hike solo and am very happy with my Hexamid solo plus. This year, my husband would like to join me and so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a relatively light weight and comfortable two person tent. We do have an older REI half dome, but I don't think it will stand up well in stormy conditions. I was thinking of of the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or UL3, and noticed a lot of them for sale on Ebay, but am uncertain. Free standing would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. Any preferences and tips for couples camping?

        • johndittli
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014

            The majority of my longer summer trips are spent with my wife. For years (25+; oh my goodness) we used the Northface Tadpole. I absolutely love that tent, still have it and it's still in good shape.

            This past summer we got a Fly Creek 2. The 2lb savings was quite dramatic. Both of those tents are small but work well for couples that cuddle. We use a quilt and NeoAirs so for two, our entire sleeping system is ~4.5 lbs.

            Though I don't think it's as storm resistant as the Tadpole, nor is it completely freestanding, the UL2 served us quite well last summer.

            JD

          • Timothy Caulfield
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014
              I have the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and have been very happy with it. It has done just fine in mid summer snow storms and high winds. However, the 2 person is really a 1 person; I would recommend the UL3 for two people. I also have friends with the 3 person tarp tent who are very happy with it.

              Tim

              Sent from my iPhone

              > On Feb 7, 2014, at 5:27 PM, <mojavemoon@...> wrote:
              >
              > Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or UL3,
            • debrabrownbear
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014
                My husband and I used a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 on the JMT last year. Easy and fast to set up. It's quite cozy, however, with almost no room for gear inside. In clear weather we left our packs outside, covered with black plastic garbage bags. We put our boots and camp shoes in the small vestibule. During the August rainstorms we piled our packs on top of our boots in the vestibule. Fortunately we didn't have to make any quick exits! Just today We looked at a UL3 at REI, but at $449 and 1.1 lbs heavier than our UL2, we're going to stick with the UL2. We met two guys on the JMT last year who had planned on sharing a UL2, but they didn't feel comfortable in there together, given the small size, and each clear night one of them slept outside. The only concern I had, was in an extended period of rain, our sleeping bags got a little wet from condensation from being pressed up against the tent walls. We'll be using it again this year from VVR to Onion Valley.
              • bperluss
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014

                  This is all very helpful information. Thank you so much for responding. I am going to check out and compare the UL2 and 3 as well as the MSR hubba hubba. Looking at photos on-line of the hubba, I think it may have been a tent I saw frequently on the trail last year. It's seems a bit heavy, but roomy. It's listed on Campmor for about $250.00 and at about 4 lbs.

                  John, or others, would love to hear more regarding your sleep system. I met a couple on Mather Pass last summer who mentioned using a quilt and two Neo Airs, but I didn't get any details. What type of quilt do you use and do they attach to the sleeping pads? Is this warm enough on cold nights?

                  betsy

                  P.S. Lots of rain here, near Grass Valley. Hurray!

                • pklein95014 .
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014
                    I bought a Fly Creek 2 and used it for a week in the Tableland of Sequoia.  Although it didn't
                    get an extreme weather test, I think it would do fine in most Sierra conditions.  It is "cozy"
                    and best for a single + if you're a 6-footer like me.  I had difficulty crawling into the tend
                    head first and then pivoting without kicking my wife in the head.  And I wouldn't use it
                    with one of my usual buddies.  Way too cozy!

                    So I bought a BA Copper Spur 2 when a true 2-man tent is desired.  Haven't used it
                    yet.  It weighs about the same as my Fly Creek 2, but has significantly more vertical
                    space due to the pole configuration.  And 2 doors!

                    Pete
                  • katyjepsen1
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 7, 2014

                      My husband and I have the UL 2 and its cozy, but we don't mind (he's 6'1 and I'm 5'3). It's not like you go into the back country for a luxury hotel experience! We are all about saving weight, so this tent works perfect for us.

                    • Chip
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014
                        My wife and I have a Seedhouse UL2, and also find condensation on our sleeping bags from pressing the walls of the bathtub. I would also recommend getting a 3 person version for the extra room. The Fly Creek line of tents didn't exist when we bought this tent so if I had to do it again I would get a Bigger Seedhouse which has shaved of a few ounces.

                        The weight savings originally came form trimming material from the tent. The best way was to shrink the size and taper the headroom over the foot area. This made the tents a little tighter inside and no room for extra clothes or gear.
                      • johndittli
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014

                          Hi Betsy

                          Still no rain here and only 2" of new snow at Mammoth Pass...

                          Regarding our sleeping system: sorry, I'm not much of a "techie", I find what works for me and tend to use it for longer than I probably should...hence the 25 year old tent!

                          The quilt I made. I purchased a Sierra Designs something or other sleeping bag on closeout (700 fill, covered in some kind of water resistant fabric). By the weight and loft I'm guessing it was rated to ~30°. I removed the hood, zipper and zipper draft tube and sewed a tapered sheet of 1 oz nylon the width of two pads and the length of the bag to the bottom; voila! For $125 I had a 2 lb sleeping bag for two (I just weighed it; 2lb 1 oz with compression stuff bag) I did sew two bias tape straps on the bottom to hold the bags together,

                          Also, while I had the seam open at the zipper I stuffed the extra down from the hood and the zipper tube in the torso area of the sleeping bag. The entire project was very easy.

                          We have used a quilt for many years as my wife sleeps cold and I sleep hot so she really benefits from us being in the same bag. The down side to my quilt is that I haven't gotten around to making a way to seal it around the shoulders, so it can be drafty. I only find this to be an issue in the fall or on a particularly cold summer night and then I wrap my puffy around my shoulders. Leslie has more of an issue with that and resolves it by usually wearing her hooded puffy (not overly sexy, but hey, we're closer to 60 then 50 ;-)

                          Back to the tent. As I said, the UL2 is cozy, but at 7' long, we have found that the foot has ample space for all our gear and helps to keep that end off the quilt (we use neolite short pads so our empty packs go under our feet). Boots, and kitchen go in the undersized but adequate vestibule. BTW, I'm 5' 10" and she is 5' 2"

                          It's like living on a sailboat or in a van, it's tight, but comfortable once you get your system down.

                          If I were to go with a heavier tent I would consider the Cooper Spur; at 3# it's hard to beat for the features.

                          John

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014
                            Here's a freestanding, 4-season capable, very wind stable, small footprint, nominal 2-person single wall tent from Black Diamond. I've used it with a kid and used it solo. It will be a tight fit for 2 adults unless at least one is small. No room for gear if you are both in it, though you could get the vestibule for your gear.

                            I really like the tent. Good rain and wind protection and seems to avoid most condensation problems that often plague other single-wall shelters. Because small footprint and free-standing it can be pitched most anywhere you can find a piece of flat ground (or granite slab) 4 ft wide by 7 long.

                            Because it has a front entry, it is possible to start the night with your heads outside the tent to enjoy the stars and then retreat fully into the tent if you need to.

                            On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM, <mojavemoon@...> wrote:

                            Normally, I hike solo and am very happy with my Hexamid solo plus. This year, my husband would like to join me and so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a relatively light weight and comfortable two person tent. We do have an older REI half dome, but I don't think it will stand up well in stormy conditions. I was thinking of of the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or UL3, and noticed a lot of them for sale on Ebay, but am uncertain. Free standing would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. Any preferences and tips for couples camping?

                          • tamirph
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014

                              We used the hubba hubba and it was great!  we would store our gear in the vestibule...hubby carried it so I can't comment on the weight.  We have had it for about 6-7 years and LOVE it!  We camped at Lake 12500 right before Forrester Pass and it was a really, really windy night--the tent held up great!  We got soaked at Upper Palisades lake and not one drop of rain in the tent.  It's very easy for one person to put up and take down also.

                            • bperluss
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014

                                Great info. Thanks, everyone.

                                Here is what I have gathered so far:

                                Black Diamond First Light: 27.3 square feet, 3 lbs, 5 oz (average pack weight), $359.95

                                (nice that it is four season capable as I would like to do some winter camping, if I can learn how).

                                MSR Hubba Hubba NX: 29 square feet, 3 lbs, 13 oz, $389.95

                                Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2: 29 square feet, 3 lbs, 2 oz, $399.95

                                Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3, 39 square feet, 3 lbs, 8 oz, $449.95

                                Of course, these prices are the standard market prices. I've seen the Fly Creek for sale on Craig's list and Ebay for much cheaper and have seen the older (thus, heavier) version of the MSR Hubba Hubba on Campmor.  If the REI 2 person quarter dome hasn't changed since I bought mine, it has 28.7 sq. ft. of space. And, I know that square feet is not everything - dimensions are important.

                                John Dittli, I love that you don't consider yourself a techie, and yet you seem quite creative! I also have an older Sierra Designs water resistant sleeping bag, which I'm quite attached to. Not the lightest, but warm. Last summer, I borrowed a Z-pack UL sleeping bag but I was too cold. When I got to Mammoth, I shipped it back home and had my husband fed ex my Sierra Designs. Not sure, if I would trust myself to cut it up and turn it into a quilt. Not yet, at least, but I admire your ingenuity.

                                betsy

                              • Deborah Rhoton

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014

                                    Betsy, where did you get 3# 2oz for Fly Creek 2? I'm pretty sure mine only weighs ~2 lbs.

                                    John

                                  • bperluss
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014

                                      Oh my gosh, I don't know where I got that number. I thought I got it from the REI website, but when I looked again it said 2 lbs, 5 oz packaged weight. So sorry for misleading, but thanks for pointing this out.

                                    • Robert
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 8, 2014
                                        tamirph,
                                        Do you remember the date when you got 'soaked' at Palisades Lake? I was curious
                                        to see if it was last July 21st? It was easily the worst downpour I have ever
                                        experienced in the Sierras in terms of magnitude and length of time it went on!
                                        I would be interested if you guys were in the same storm? This was the best test
                                        of my tarp and bivy set up to date, and it did well for me, but not for others
                                        who picked poor draining campsites! It was the same storm, I think, that did the
                                        damage to the Shepherds Pass/Symmes Creek trail.

                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <tamirph@...> wrote:

                                        > We used the hubba hubba and it was great! we would store our gear in the vestibule...hubby carried it so I can't comment on the weight. We have had it for about 6-7 years and LOVE it! We camped at Lake 12500 right before Forrester Pass and it was a really, really windy night--the tent held up great! We got soaked at Upper Palisades lake and not one drop of rain in the tent. It's very easy for one person to put up and take down also.

                                      • rstrimbeck
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 9, 2014

                                          We went for the the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Compared to the Fly Creek UL2, for +13 oz you get more floor area, double doors, double vestibules, more height and  more vertical walls (=sit up/head room). It's almost a clone of the Hubba Hubba in many respects, but the BA has a roof vent, very important for moisture management., is a wee bit longer and wider, and still weighs less. Our chosen compromise for weight and functional space. We got a 2013 model for about -25% at CampSaver.

                                        • kamekurisu
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 9, 2014

                                            Just to second John: I borrowed a Firstlight from a friend, and his account is accurate.  Too small for two adults, but great for 1+.  The owner is a mountaineer, and she won't take it up Aconcagua or Whitney, but loves it otherwise and uses it in 4 seasons.  In fact, she plans to bring it on the JMT next Summer.

                                            For myself, I go back and forth between tarps and my Tarptent Contrail (and I just got a Shangri La 5 to take the kids out and maybe even my wife or friends).  If I were looking for a tent for a couple, I would look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow.  I'll either bring my Contrail on the JMT or I'll pare down to a single tarp with a bug bivy.

                                            Chris

                                          • tamirph
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 9, 2014

                                              Robert, we were at Upper Palisades Lake on Thursday September 12th.  We had been having some bad weather for a few days...might not have been the worst rain we had during the trip but it was like the 4th day in a row and we got caught filtering water without our rain gear so everything got soaked!  The inside of the tent was bone dry though!

                                            • Robert
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 9, 2014
                                                Good times on the trail;) ! I was thinking it may be a small world if we had got
                                                caught in the same place and storm! I have run across fellow JMT Yahoo-ers and Trailjournal folks in the past, but didn't realize it until later. I ran into John D. And his wife a couple of years ago, in a pretty remote location in SEKI, but didn't realize it has him until later. And a group of us were doing a weekend Rae Lakes loop in 2011', when we camped by the group from The Muir Project. Most of them were 'holed up' in their tents as it was raining most of the day. One of my hiking buddies talked about high tech photography equipment with them, but I lost interest and went back to fish;) ! The rain made for fantastic fishing though, and the bearded guy, ( Jason, I think ), was out getting those fantastic sunset shots over Fin Dome that made it in the final DVD! I have some of the same shots, as it was one of those special Sierra moments when the rain lets up and gives you those cloudy, colorful sunset shots. We ended up catching at least 90-100 fish between us, and stopped counting after awhile!
                                                Thanks for responding!

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 15, 2014
                                                  For all the Non-UL backpackers looking for a good tent, REI has the Northface Mica FL 2 tent on sale for $99.95 (regularly $250+). 3.8 lbs and 29 sq ft space, 2 doors, 2 vestibules. Great reviews on the web too!

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  On Feb 9, 2014, at 11:11 AM, "Robert" <rnperky@...> wrote:

                                                  Good times on the trail;) ! I was thinking it may be a small world if we had got
                                                  caught in the same place and storm! I have run across fellow JMT Yahoo-ers and Trailjournal folks in the past, but didn't realize it until later. I ran into John D. And his wife a couple of years ago, in a pretty remote location in SEKI, but didn't realize it has him until later. And a group of us were doing a weekend Rae Lakes loop in 2011', when we camped by the group from The Muir Project. Most of them were 'holed up' in their tents as it was raining most of the day. One of my hiking buddies talked about high tech photography equipment with them, but I lost interest and went back to fish;) ! The rain made for fantastic fishing though, and the bearded guy, ( Jason, I think ), was out getting those fantastic sunset shots over Fin Dome that made it in the final DVD! I have some of the same shots, as it was one of those special Sierra moments when the rain lets up and gives you those cloudy, colorful sunset shots. We ended up catching at least 90-100 fish between us, and stopped counting after awhile!
                                                  Thanks for responding!

                                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <tamirph@...> wrote:

                                                  > Robert, we were at Upper Palisades Lake on Thursday September 12th. We had been having some bad weather for a few days...might not have been the worst rain we had during the trip but it was like the 4th day in a row and we got caught filtering water without our rain gear so everything got soaked! The inside of the tent was bone dry though!

                                                • Mike Mosack
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 15, 2014
                                                    Hi Deborah,
                                                    Do you happen to have a link for this tent?
                                                    I’m on the REI website but can’t locate the North Face Mica FL 2 at all and on the FL 1 there is no listed sale price. retailing at 319
                                                    Mike

                                                    Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:11 PM
                                                    Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Couple's camping and tent recommendations?

                                                      Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:11 PM