Any thoughts on ultralight packs vs. regular packs

  • sheehan1962
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
      It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?
    • jim.ennis
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
        It won't help a great deal to buy an ultralight pack if what you put in that pack weighs a lot. A UL pack should be the last of the big three that you purchase. Start with lightening the weight of your sleeping bag and shelter first. Once that is accomplished, then you can buy a UL pack that those new items will fit into. Then take a look at what else goes into that pack - do you really need all those changes of clothes or that camp chair? Just take a critical look at every item before you commit to carrying it for 14 days.
        Jim

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962" <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

        > It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?

      • Ima Person
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
          if you provide a complete gear list, i'm sure everyone can chime in as to whether a particular piece of gear is "really" needed or not, vital or comfort.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
            Post your complete gear list and describe your general hiking style
            here and/or on the Backpacking Light dot com forums and you will
            certainly get a lot of suggestions. I also suggest giving your budget
            for new gear. The cheapest, lightest gear is that which you don't
            bring along.

            My pack base weight used to average about 35 pounds before food. For
            the JMT last year it was 18. The only thing I wished for was a better
            shelter- but I didn't need it. Now with a new sleeping bag, pad, and
            tent my gear weight is down in the 15 range and I don't think I'm
            skimping anywhere.

            The biggest single weight saving was buying a 2 pound pack to replace
            my old 7 pound model. Such a light pack wouldn't have worked with 30
            pounds of gear plus food in it though.

            Jim
            JMT 2008
            Yosemite-Tahoe 2009?
          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
              Sheehan1962,
              can you cut your weight from 60 pounds to 30. Yes, just spend the money. "realistic for this trail" . . . sure. Just spend the money. Again. take a look at your gear��first your pack, sleeping bag and tent.
              I went from a 7.5 pound pack to one just about 2 pounds. I went from a 5.5 pound winter bag (that I used year round and roasted) to one that's just under 2 pounds. I went from a 4.5 pound tent to . . . well, I tried one of those almost BIVY size tents and decided that carrying a good size tent is a luxury I can deal with, so bought another 4 pound tent and I love it . . . and all you have to do is SPEND THE CASH.
              Look at your clothes next. Bet you've got two of everything. You don't need two of everything. I'd say the only thing you really need two pairs of is socks. Everything else can get wet or dirty and you can still hike in it. Look at your jacket. is it down or fleece? I carried too many bulky down jackets over the years and I finally figured it out��spend the money and buy a super light-weight down jacket that will do you fine for the JMT.
              I bought a MONTBELL U.L. Hoody . . . http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montbell/u.l.-down-inner-parka/ . . . . Amazing down jacket and super light, for about $150. My other down weighs about three or four times as much as also takes up valuable BEAR CANISTER space.
              I went from sixty-plus to between 35-40 . . . and all I did was spend the money.
              the other bob

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: sheehan1962@...
              Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:13:21 +0000

              It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?

            • richfax
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
                Sheehan1962,

                In my opinion 15 to 30 pounds of food & gear, or less, is all most folks need to safely hike the JMT.   The book "Lightweight Backpacking & Camping" is one of the best guides for learning how to reduce pack weight and will provide you with some simple, practical, and inexpensive ideas to make it happen.  Good luck!
                http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00070.html

                ________________________________

                From: sheehan1962@...
                Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:13:21 +0000

                            It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?

              • Rich Ehli
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Light weight and comfort and not necessarily the same thing. Keep in
                  mind that your ultimate goal is to enjoy your hike (or why do it?).
                  There are trade offs to consider. None of us are built the same way.
                  Depending on your body size, strength, speed and tolerance for carrying
                  weight, you will have to decide whether a 2-3 pound weight penalty
                  justifies the better load carrying characteristics of some heavier
                  packs. I am faced with the same question: I already have enough packs to
                  outfit a small scout troop so I am not planning to buy the latest and
                  greatest for my JMT hike. My choice will be between a heavier 8-YO Dana
                  internal pack and the significantly lighter Gregory Z Pack. Both will
                  carry all I need but which one will my shoulders be happier with doing
                  an average of 10-14 miles a day. That's a question only I can answer. I
                  know the Dana can carry the starting weight of nine days of food better
                  than the Z Pack but after a few days, the Z Pack would start to catch
                  up to the Dana in terms of comfort and then overtake it.

                  Rich
                • Steve Schauer
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
                    We were really happy with our packs, which are not ultralight, nor heavy. We splurged (didn't Bob say, spend the money?) and got Osprey Aether 70 (his) and Ariel 65(mine). We both agreed this is the most comfortable pack we could imagine. Suspension and a good fit are everything, so definitely get fitted right, and load the pack with your gear so you can tell if it is comfortable for YOU. We also got lightweight down bags, highly compressible. Our packs were about 35lbs after a resupply. Everyone has a "can't do without" item. Ours was a 35mm camera, and tripod-ouch!
                    Claire

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4, 2009
                      I have gotten my base gear (which is the pack and everything inside it,
                      EXCEPT for food and water, but it INCLUDES the bear cannister) down to under
                      17 pounds. I have gotten my daily consumables down to 1 pound a day (covers
                      food and toiletries). I did the last 165 miles of the JMT last year and
                      will do the entire JMT this summer. The most I'll be carrying is about 28
                      pounds plus water leaving Muir Trail Ranch if I am not able to get
                      resupplied at Lake Charlotte. I am looking into that option though.

                      I'll be using for my 3rd year out in the High Sierra the pack I like the
                      most, which is the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone which is a 3 pound pack but it
                      is so comfortable. I did modify the pack by substituting a large belt from
                      Granite Gear from their next-up-the line packs, shown here:
                      http://www.granitegear.com/products/overview/backpacks/light.html -- it has
                      a rigid plastic spine behind the foam and causes the pack to distribute the
                      weight of the pack more around the circumference of my waist rather than all
                      at the back. So everything about my gear is very light except the pack
                      which is so-so light.

                      I tried the Exos 58 pack out but it just was not as comfortable and decided
                      to put up with the extra 9 ounces of weight.

                      My gear list is shown here:
                      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/profile.html?u=marti124

                      Roleigh

                    • Adam Bickett
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 8, 2009
                        Yes! If you at all can, go light! I did the JMT last summer with a 21 pound
                        pack starting weight. I used the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, and it worked
                        very well for me. I felt bad for the many people I saw carrying ridiculous
                        packs weight over double what they need to... it makes the experience so
                        much more enjoyable when unencumbered by needless weight.

                        On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM, sheehan1962 <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

                        > It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir
                        > Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying
                        > weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic
                        > for this trail. Any thoughts?

                      • romanryder
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                          I haven't picked up a bear vault yet, but my pack has been under 8lbs on my recent trips. I started out with junk gear from Wal-Mart and Academy last year and worked my way down to 15lbs (with the help of "Lighten Up!: A Complete Handbook for Light and Ultralight Backpacking"). Then I got on backpackinglight.com and cut that weight nearly in half.

                          Here's a link to my normal gear list...
                          http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/7920f9c1a74502d0247666405fe1a62e.pdf

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                            It's a Slow monday, forgive me. . .
                            "8lbs" . . . so you're hiking naked, in thongs, sleeping in a space blanket, with a plastic shopping bag to hold the pop tarts???? . . . WOW . . . I must go to backpackinglight and check it out. Then I'm going to cut the tongues out of my shoes and trim the bristles on my toothbrush.
                            Oddly, it almost seems like a sin of sorts not to head out into the backcountry with a bit of a burden and bragging rights . . . I carried XX pounds XXX miles and . . . but just ponder the thought for a moment of walking, say, the entire JMT or any other trail with nothing on your back. People out there might look at you as if you were crazy.
                            I was coming down Mather one day, just finishing switch-backs and hitting the straight-away and I see this guy coming towards me and I'm thinking, Ah, a fellow JMTer in need a greeting. He's a long way off, but eventually I figure out that he's in blue jeans, pants and jacket. he's got on a pair of brown timberland boots and a baseball cap. Slung over each shoulder and tucked under his arms are two of those large cowboy canteens��the kind with red plaid on the outside (to go with the plaid lining in his denim jacket) and he's got no backpack of any kind.
                            I get within twenty yards of him and you'd think I had a bible in my hand, and the word of jesus coming out of my mouth (like when I see the mormon boys coming my way, "hello sir, have you . . . ) as the guy makes a wide arc, looks straight ahead and just keeps on going . . . ultra-light . . . even words, a nod, a smile were too heavy for him. (later, a ranger said he was a certified nut, BUT HE HAD A PERMIT)
                            More power to anyone that gets that close to sustaining themselves on almost nothing . . . eight pounds, right on.
                            okay, back to the drudge
                            the-other-bob

                            sparklefart.blogspot.com

                            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                            From: romanryder@...
                            Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 08:30:03 +0000

                            I haven't picked up a bear vault yet, but my pack has been under 8lbs on my recent trips. I started out with junk gear from Wal-Mart and Academy last year and worked my way down to 15lbs (with the help of "Lighten Up!: A Complete Handbook for Light and Ultralight Backpacking"). Then I got on backpackinglight.com and cut that weight nearly in half.

                            Here's a link to my normal gear list...

                            http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/7920f9c1a74502d0247666405fe1a62e.pdf

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962" <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

                            > It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?

                          • John Rogers
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                              Robert that was a good one. For me Pop Tarts are too heavy to carry on the JMT. I like to put my dirty underwear in a pot of boiling water, stir for a few minutes, and waa la; soup is on!
                              John.

                              ________________________________

                              From: romanryder@...
                              Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 08:30:03 +0000

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                Pop Tarts used to be a trail staple for me, as a teen hiker. Suddenly, as I sit here about to relate yet another story, I am hit with the notion of aliens or devil's triangle or . . . After you pop over Pinchot (just over the hill from mr.Jeans and canteens) and amble down the hill, and then see twin lakes off to your left and down a ways, the trail heads through a bunch of pine trees of some sort, with scattered camp spots, obvious by their (illegal? over 10k?) make-shift fire rings, scattered around . . . I once ambled into this camp, after dark, to find an old gent, priming a stove for hot chocolate. He had an ancient external frame pack with a green canvas sack on it and he was eating pop tarts. He offered me one and it was great, but there was also this moment when I saw a burst of light and for a very real moment, I thought, aliens? MAybe they ate the old guy and inhabited his body? the guy not only had pop tarts, but TANG, and hot chocolate. THIS IS WHAT HE WAS DOING FOR FOOD ON THE TRAIL. he said he was fine. strange things happen around there. beware and by the way, as for the crazy man with the two canteens, the rangers also told me that he had in the two canteens, one of water and the other filled with flour. Hardcore, biscuit-baking, plaid wearing, UL kinda guy.

                                sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                From: john_rogers68@...
                                Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:04:50 -0700

                                From: romanryder@...

                                Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 08:30:03 +0000

                                I haven't picked up a bear vault yet, but my pack has been under 8lbs on my recent trips. I started out with junk gear from Wal-Mart and Academy last year and worked my way down to 15lbs (with the help of "Lighten Up!: A Complete Handbook for Light and Ultralight Backpacking"). Then I got on backpackinglight.com and cut that weight nearly in half.

                                Here's a link to my normal gear list...

                                http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/7920f9c1a74502d0247666405fe1a62e.pdf

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962" <sheehan1962@...> wrote:

                                > It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?

                              • hmdsierra
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                  When I first took Pop Tarts it was intended to be a couple of times treat on the trip. Over the years it changed. Now we stagger from our beds stir up the fire put the frying pan on the fire add a bit of margarine and toss in the Pop Tarts. After we eat them I light up my pipe and we figure out what we're having for breakfast.

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Rogers <john_rogers68@...> wrote:

                                  > Robert that was a good one. For me Pop Tarts are too heavy to carry on the JMT. I like to put my dirty underwear in a pot of boiling water, stir for a few minutes, and waa la; soup is on!
                                  > John.
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • robert shattuck
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                    "pipe" . . . don't get me started on JMT pipe stories. I better go do the errands.
                                    sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:32:33 +0000

                                    When I first took Pop Tarts it was intended to be a couple of times treat on the trip. Over the years it changed. Now we stagger from our beds stir up the fire put the frying pan on the fire add a bit of margarine and toss in the Pop Tarts. After we eat them I light up my pipe and we figure out what we're having for breakfast.

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Rogers <john_rogers68@...> wrote:

                                    > Robert that was a good one. For me Pop Tarts are too heavy to carry on the JMT. I like to put my dirty underwear in a pot of boiling water, stir for a few minutes, and waa la; soup is on!

                                    > John.

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • hmdsierra
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                      When I first took Pop Tarts it was intended to be a couple of times treat on the trip. Over the years it changed. Now we stagger from our beds stir up the fire put the frying pan on the fire add a bit of margarine and toss in the Pop Tarts. After we eat them I light up my pipe and we figure out what we're having for breakfast.

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Rogers <john_rogers68@...> wrote:

                                      > Robert that was a good one. For me Pop Tarts are too heavy to carry on the JMT. I like to put my dirty underwear in a pot of boiling water, stir for a few minutes, and waa la; soup is on!
                                      > John.
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Patt
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                        Robert. . .Thanks for� brightening the day.....! ! !�
                                        �� �now...what ever happened to : pilot biscuits and squeez cheese?????��� revealing my age,.Patt

                                        ��

                                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                                        Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:32:33 +0000
                                        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Any thoughts on ultralight packs vs. regular
                                        packs

                                        <sheehan1962@> wrote:

                                        >> It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy
                                        Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying to
                                        cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if that's
                                        at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?

                                        > � � �

                                        > � �

                                        > � �

                                        > � � �

                                        > � � �

                                        > � � �

                                        > � � �

                                        > � � �

                                        > � � �

                                        > � � �

                                        > Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for
                                        Hotmail���.

                                      • robert shattuck
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                          Hello Patt,
                                          Yup, I remember pilot biscuits from my first whitney summit at nine, but sadly, I did not get the squeeze cheese. Is your cart charged up and ready for the summer?
                                          Bob

                                          sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                        • Patt
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                            Robert.....Sorry you missed the squeeze cheese..!!!� Glad someone remembers pilot biscuits. . . . Well can' say if the cart is ready as it's probably well snowed in but..� Just finished inventory/work lists...so yes...I'm ready....
                                            ���� to the ? of a solo woman hiker,,,I spent� a lot of weeks solo trail working over the years.... the 1st night or 2 you might be apprehensive but then...go for it....You'll be glad you did..as�expressed by the guys in the previous posts......

                                            �������������������������������� Patt��

                                            Yup, I remember pilot biscuits from my first whitney summit at nine, but sadly,
                                            I did not get the squeeze cheese. Is your cart charged up and ready for the
                                            summer?
                                            Bob

                                            sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                            > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                            > From: sntrekker@...
                                            > Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:22:18 -0700
                                            > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Any thoughts on ultralight packs vs.
                                            regular packs

                                            > Robert. . .Thanks for brightening the day.....! ! !
                                            > now...what ever happened to : pilot biscuits and squeez cheese?????
                                            revealing my age,.Patt

                                            . .
> [...]
                                            >

                                            >> --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sheehan1962"
                                            > <sheehan1962@> wrote:
                                            >

                                            >>> It's my first time on the trail and I'm hiking from Happy
                                            > Isles to Muir Trail Ranch in August over 14 days or so, and I'm trying
                                            > cut my carrying weight from 60 lbs or so to under 30, not knowing if
                                            that's
                                            > at all realistic for this trail. Any thoughts?

                                            >> � � �
                                            >

                                            >> � �
                                            >
                                            >> � �
                                            >
                                            >> � � �
                                            >
                                            >> � � �
                                            >
                                            >> � � �
                                            >
                                            >> � � �
                                            >

                                            >> � � �
                                            >

                                            >> � � �
                                            >
                                            >> � � �

                                            >> Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for

                                          • Steve Schauer
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 9, 2009
                                              Have you ever had "saloon pilot" crackers by Diamond Bakery? sometimes you can find them at an Asian market or at Long's Drugstore. They are really thick and won't break easily.
                                              Claire

                                              > Yup, I remember pilot biscuits from my first whitney summit
                                              > at nine, but sadly, I did not get the squeeze cheese. Is
                                              > your cart charged up and ready for the summer?
                                              > Bob
                                              >

                                              > sparklefart.blogspot.com
                                              >

                                              > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                              > > From: sntrekker@...
                                              > > Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:22:18 -0700
                                              > > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Any thoughts on
                                              > ultralight packs vs. regular packs
                                              > >
                                              > > Robert. . .Thanks for brightening the day.....! ! !
                                              > > now...what ever happened to : pilot biscuits and
                                              > squeez cheese????? revealing my age,.Patt
                                              > >

                                              > > --- On Mon, 3/9/09, robert shattuck
                                              > <bobolonius@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > From: robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>
                                              > > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Any thoughts on
                                              > ultralight packs vs. regular packs
                                              > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                              > > Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 4:37 PM
                                              > >
                                              > > "pipe" . . . don't get me started on JMT
                                              > pipe stories. I better
                                              > > go do the errands.
                                              > > sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                              > > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                              > > From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
                                              > > Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:32:33 +0000
                                              > > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Any thoughts on
                                              > ultralight packs vs. regular
                                              > > packs

                                              > > When I first took Pop Tarts it was
                                              > intended to be a couple of times
                                              > > treat on the trip. Over the years it changed. Now we
                                              > stagger from our beds
                                              > > stir up the fire put the frying pan on the fire add a
                                              > bit of margarine and toss
                                              > > in the Pop Tarts. After we eat them I light up my
                                              > pipe and we figure out what
                                              > > we're having for breakfast.
                                              > >

                                              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Rogers
                                              > <john_rogers68@...>
                                              > > wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > >> Robert that was a good one. For me Pop Tarts are
                                              > too heavy to carry on the
                                              > > JMT. I like to put my dirty underwear in a pot of
                                              > boiling water, stir for a few
                                              > > minutes, and waa la; soup is on!
                                              > >
                                              > >> John.

                                            • Derek Peters
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 10, 2009
                                                We called this stuff Hard Tack up in Canada when I used to go out hunting with my uncles. Saw a picture on some website where they had a display that had and example of hard tack from 1852 still intact. Remember having to smash it with a rock and dip in my powered milk to soften it enough to eat. Pop Tarts are infinitely better!!
                                                Derek