Merced Lodging

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2014
      It looks like I can save some money and arrive at Yosemite earlier in the day if I take an evening Amtrak to Merced following my flight arrival at SFO in the early afternoon rather than spending the night in San Francisco and taking the morning train.  Does anyone have recommendations on reasonably priced and decent quality lodging in Merced that is within walking distance of the train station and safe to walk to after dark?  I walked around the Merced train station briefly while waiting for the bus last year and there doesn't seem to be very much around it. Google maps shows most of the motels along Highway 99 which is about a mile from the station.  Thanks.
    • casey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2014
        Ravi

        Here is an alternative to spending a night in Merced. I just spoke to "49er" Cab Company out of Sonora Ca. By arrangement for a fare of approx. $250 he will transport four people in a Crown Victoria from the Amtrak Station in Modesto to Yosemite Valley. For under $400 he will pick up at San Francisco or Sacramento Airport and deliver you straight to Yosemite Valley. He also has a Suburban that can accommodate larger groups for a higher fare. The phone number is 209-532-8294.

        Might be cost effective to just be picked up at the airport. Using Sacramento as an arrival airport is much more pleasant than the much larger airports in Oakland or San Francisco.

        On the side, not sure anywhere in Merced is good to walk around in after dark, especially looking like a tourist.

        Casey

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2014
          Thanks for the information on the shuttle.  I actually wouldn't necessarily want to get to Yosemite Valley that evening because it would be two days prior to my permit date and I wouldn't be able to legally camp at the backpacker's camp (and probably would stumble around trying to find it in the dark) so I would end up at Curry Village instead.  I have nothing against Curry Village, but I did find the $130 I paid last year for a tent cabin very high!

          It is good to know that Merced isn't a great place to walk around at night.  It is hard to tell from a visitor's perspective.

          Looks like staying in SF and taking the Amtrak/YARTS the next day might be the simplest solution.  Already have a flight booked into SFO on Southwest.

          Thanks again.
        • amargosaconservancy
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2014
            Hi - there are no motels within about 2-3 miles of the station, but there is (or was) reliable and reasonable taxi service to and from the station - JP
          • berdomb
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2014

              just take a taxi in merced, no big deal.  It doesnt cost much to go 2 miles.

              You can make a campground reservation at Yosemite for like $20 and stay there. Be prepared to make it the moment the reservation system opens..  If stay in North Pine, you would only move a short ways to the backpackers campground the next day, which is just behind it.

            • berdomb
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2014
                Ill add you can probably find someone to share with either here or on facebook or on the train for the days you are going as well to reduce cost.  I have enough points I stay for free at some hotels, so I dont worry about it.