Re: [John Muir Trail] Got my Permits for August!!

  • jim.ennis
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
      Bob:
      Unfortunately, our permit requires us to stay at LYV the first night,
      then proceed on from there the next day.
      But, I am planning to leave both bear canisters at TM and start at HI
      with enough food for the first 2 1/2 days and taking advantage of the
      bear boxes at LYV and Sunrise Camp. We will stay the third night at TM
      and pick up both bear cans there, with food for the next six days. I
      can probably get all of the food for this leg into my canister and
      just use hers for trash, like you say. We will be stopping at Red's
      Meadow for dinner one night, so that will be one less dinner carried
      in the can. And after 10 days on the trail, she should be in "Trail
      Gorilla" shape and be able to carry some of the food in her canister.
      I really appreciate your input as you have come up with some great ideas.
      Thanks again,
      Jim
    • reperes_pleinair
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jim.ennis" <ulhiker1@...> wrote:

        > I received confirmation of my permits yesterday and will start at
        > Happy Isles on 8/17. I got my second choice of Happy Isles to Little
        > Yosemite Valley, which wasn't what I really wanted, but I will make
        > the most of it. I had originally planned on a 14-day thru-hike, but my
        > wife really wants to go, so I have slowed things down a bit and we are
        > planning a 19-day trip. Initially, I had planned to carry all of our
        > food in my pack so as to keep her pack at a consistent 8-10 lbs, but
        > now that we're looking at having 9 days of travel after leaving Muir
        > Trail Ranch, I'm concerned with not being able to fit everything into
        > one BV500. Probably not!! One option is to ship a second bearvault
        > along with our re-supply to MTR and let my wife carry it on the second
        > leg of our trip. This is probably what we will do, but I would like to
        > hear from others as to any other options. I don't want to leave the
        > trail for another re-supply south of MTR, so my options may be limited.
        > BTW, my wife is carrying a ULA Conduit and I will carry a ULA
        > Catalyst, if this helps in your responses.
        > Thanks,
        > Jim

        HI

        I also received confirmation for Happy Isles on 8/17 yesterday. We are going to rent a Bearikade Expedition shipped to Tuolomne (or Yosemite, not sure yet) and a second one shipped to MTR. My wife and myself will carry SMD packs. We are also planning for a 9-10 days after MTR and I don't want to take a chance with our BV500. It would too small I think.

        Au plaisir :-)

        Michael Auger
        Montreal, Canada
      • jim.ennis
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2009
          Michael:
          I've decided to leave two BV500s at Tuolumne Meadows, along with our first re-supply of food, and will pick these up on our way through. This way we will be carrying just a couple of days of food with us when we start at HI. Since we have to camp at LYV the first night and we plan to camp at Sunrise camp the second night, we can take advantage of the bear boxes for food storage. When we pick up the bear cans at TM, I can fit all of the food into my canister and leave my wife's canister empty. As we proceed toward MTR and our next resupply, we can use her canister as a trash recepticle. We should be able to get all of our food into both canisters when we arrive at MTR, since we do only freezerbag cooking and package everything as small as possible.
          Most of these ideas came from Bob on this group and again, I appreciate his info.
          Hope to see you on the trail,
          Jim