RE: [John Muir Trail] headnets and sat phones

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
      Not sure about the batteries. They came with the phone, with a recharger.
      As far as mosquito nets, we have the same OR with the metal ring. We didn't have to use them in August. We did use them from Tuolomne to Mammoth one July-the swarms were so brutal that we quit our hike days early. I like the ring because it keeps them away from your ears, but I have to say, it's a bummer if there are so many you need a head net!
      Claire

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
        Thanks Claire - we'll be starting 3rd week of July - hopefully not too bad
        mossie - they love my daughter way too much! Barbara

        _____

        Not sure about the batteries. They came with the phone, with a recharger.
        As far as mosquito nets, we have the same OR with the metal ring. We didn't
        have to use them in August. We did use them from Tuolomne to Mammoth one
        July-the swarms were so brutal that we quit our hike days early. I like the
        ring because it keeps them away from your ears, but I have to say, it's a
        bummer if there are so many you need a head net!
        Claire

        --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.
        <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com> wrote:

        > From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com>
        > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] headnets and sat phones
        > To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 7:04 PM
        > Thanks so much Clair. Do you happen to know what batteries
        > it used?
        >

        > Also, did you ever have to use headnets? Which ones did
        > you like?
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com

      • Rich Ehli
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
          It gets mixed reviews. Perhaps they didn't do enough testing before
          releasing it. In general, the reviews of owners who bought through REI
          and claimed to have carefully followed all directions were mostly favorable.
          http://tiny.cc/oNKAO

          but all three gear testers at BackpackGearTest.org panned it
          http://tiny.cc/dyPNf

          I am still thinking about getting one - around $200 including the
          one-year subscription - but I wouldn't expect too much.

          Rich

          Barbara Karagosian wrote:

          > Would people prefer the sat phone to a Spot, perhaps?

        • Lee
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Claire - we'll be starting 3rd week of July - hopefully not too bad
            > mossie - they love my daughter way too much! Barbara
            >

            > _____

            Barbara... be VERY cautious using the "SPOT" for any emergency situation on the trail. I tested one late last year on the P.C.T. and got very poor signal transmission (if any). It may work in the middle of an very open field/meadow and your standing still for fifteen minutes for the sat to pickup the signal, but it is not a device to count on for an emergency of any kind. I sent mine back for refund.... Lee