RE: [John Muir Trail] headnets and sat phones

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
      Thanks so much Clair. Do you happen to know what batteries it used?

      Also, did you ever have to use headnets? Which ones did you like?

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
        Not sure about the batteries. They came with the phone, with a recharger.
        As far as mosquito nets, we have the same OR with the metal ring. We didn't have to use them in August. We did use them from Tuolomne to Mammoth one July-the swarms were so brutal that we quit our hike days early. I like the ring because it keeps them away from your ears, but I have to say, it's a bummer if there are so many you need a head net!
        Claire

        > Thanks so much Clair. Do you happen to know what batteries
        > it used?
        >

        > Also, did you ever have to use headnets? Which ones did
        > you like?
        >

        > _____

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
          Thanks Claire - we'll be starting 3rd week of July - hopefully not too bad
          mossie - they love my daughter way too much! Barbara

          _____

          Not sure about the batteries. They came with the phone, with a recharger.
          As far as mosquito nets, we have the same OR with the metal ring. We didn't
          have to use them in August. We did use them from Tuolomne to Mammoth one
          July-the swarms were so brutal that we quit our hike days early. I like the
          ring because it keeps them away from your ears, but I have to say, it's a
          bummer if there are so many you need a head net!
          Claire

          --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.
          <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com> wrote:

          > From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com>
          > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] headnets and sat phones
          > To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 7:04 PM
          > Thanks so much Clair. Do you happen to know what batteries
          > it used?
          >

          > Also, did you ever have to use headnets? Which ones did
          > you like?
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com

        • Rich Ehli
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
            It gets mixed reviews. Perhaps they didn't do enough testing before
            releasing it. In general, the reviews of owners who bought through REI
            and claimed to have carefully followed all directions were mostly favorable.
            http://tiny.cc/oNKAO

            but all three gear testers at BackpackGearTest.org panned it
            http://tiny.cc/dyPNf

            I am still thinking about getting one - around $200 including the
            one-year subscription - but I wouldn't expect too much.

            Rich

            Barbara Karagosian wrote:

            > Would people prefer the sat phone to a Spot, perhaps?

          • Lee
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Claire - we'll be starting 3rd week of July - hopefully not too bad
              > mossie - they love my daughter way too much! Barbara
              >

              > _____

              Barbara... be VERY cautious using the "SPOT" for any emergency situation on the trail. I tested one late last year on the P.C.T. and got very poor signal transmission (if any). It may work in the middle of an very open field/meadow and your standing still for fifteen minutes for the sat to pickup the signal, but it is not a device to count on for an emergency of any kind. I sent mine back for refund.... Lee