headnets and sat phones

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2 4:02 PM
      Hi there,

      Any opinions on the best mossie head net to use? I have the OR spring ring
      one, and also a couple of other varieties that don't have the spring ring.
      I dislike them all. Does anyone have a preference based on experience of
      swarming mossie?

      Second question - has anyone used/rented an iridium sat phone? If so, what
      sort of batteries does it use and how long so they last, assuming that one
      does not have it turned on most of the time, nor use it unless for an
      emergency.

      Would people prefer the sat phone to a Spot, perhaps?

      Thanks o much - Barbara

    • Steve Schauer
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2 6:24 PM
        We used an Iridium phone that we rented online. We bought an hour of phone time with it. We decided to go with the Iridium because they said that Globalstar was "repositioning" their satellites, and didn't have as good coverage. You'll just have to investigate what is happening now. Be sure to charge the batteries before you leave. They might work when you get the phone, but not be fully charged. We had a battery pack sent to a resupply about half way. We turned the phone on every other evening for a short time in case a family member needed to contact us. You can also buy an answering service, but we didn't do that. I was looking back on my trail journal, and I see that we only used it twice on the trail, just to check in with the family. When we got to the top of Whitney, we called them to say, "We made it!!" just so we could use up the minutes. At Tuolomne, vermillion, and MtR we used the internet to send out an email, to save battery power.

        Steve was more in favor of carrying the sat phone (so he did). We didn't see that many people on the trail on any given day,so if you did get hurt or sick, it could really be helpful. I noticed you had to have a clear view of the southern sky to get good reception.

        As far as Spot or sat phone, for us, we were more concerned that we might be needed at home, so our families needed to be able to contact us.

        Hope this helps. We got our permit for this year, we'll be on the southern part of the trail on Aug 15-25.
        Claire

        > Any opinions on the best mossie head net to use? I have
        > the OR spring ring
        > one, and also a couple of other varieties that don't
        > have the spring ring.
        > I dislike them all. Does anyone have a preference based on
        > experience of
        > swarming mossie?
        >

        > Second question - has anyone used/rented an iridium sat
        > phone? If so, what
        > sort of batteries does it use and how long so they last,
        > assuming that one
        > does not have it turned on most of the time, nor use it
        > unless for an
        > emergency.
        >

        > Would people prefer the sat phone to a Spot, perhaps?
        >

        > Thanks o much - Barbara

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2 7:04 PM
          Thanks so much Clair. Do you happen to know what batteries it used?

          Also, did you ever have to use headnets? Which ones did you like?

          _____

          --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.
          <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com> wrote:

          > From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com>
          > Subject: [John Muir Trail] headnets and sat phones
          > To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 4:02 PM
          > Hi there,
          >
          > Any opinions on the best mossie head net to use? I have
          > the OR spring ring
          > one, and also a couple of other varieties that don't
          > have the spring ring.
          > I dislike them all. Does anyone have a preference based on
          > experience of
          > swarming mossie?
          >

          > Second question - has anyone used/rented an iridium sat
          > phone? If so, what
          > sort of batteries does it use and how long so they last,
          > assuming that one
          > does not have it turned on most of the time, nor use it
          > unless for an
          > emergency.
          >

          > Would people prefer the sat phone to a Spot, perhaps?
          >

          > Thanks o much - Barbara

        • Steve Schauer
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2 8:04 PM
            Not sure about the batteries. They came with the phone, with a recharger.
            As far as mosquito nets, we have the same OR with the metal ring. We didn't have to use them in August. We did use them from Tuolomne to Mammoth one July-the swarms were so brutal that we quit our hike days early. I like the ring because it keeps them away from your ears, but I have to say, it's a bummer if there are so many you need a head net!
            Claire

            > Thanks so much Clair. Do you happen to know what batteries
            > it used?
            >

            > Also, did you ever have to use headnets? Which ones did
            > you like?
            >

            > _____

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2 10:29 PM
              Thanks Claire - we'll be starting 3rd week of July - hopefully not too bad
              mossie - they love my daughter way too much! Barbara

              _____

              Not sure about the batteries. They came with the phone, with a recharger.
              As far as mosquito nets, we have the same OR with the metal ring. We didn't
              have to use them in August. We did use them from Tuolomne to Mammoth one
              July-the swarms were so brutal that we quit our hike days early. I like the
              ring because it keeps them away from your ears, but I have to say, it's a
              bummer if there are so many you need a head net!
              Claire

              --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.
              <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com> wrote:

              > From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. <mailto:barbara%40mkpe.com> com>
              > Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] headnets and sat phones
              > To: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 7:04 PM
              > Thanks so much Clair. Do you happen to know what batteries
              > it used?
              >

              > Also, did you ever have to use headnets? Which ones did
              > you like?
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com

            • Rich Ehli
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3 11:34 AM
                It gets mixed reviews. Perhaps they didn't do enough testing before
                releasing it. In general, the reviews of owners who bought through REI
                and claimed to have carefully followed all directions were mostly favorable.
                http://tiny.cc/oNKAO

                but all three gear testers at BackpackGearTest.org panned it
                http://tiny.cc/dyPNf

                I am still thinking about getting one - around $200 including the
                one-year subscription - but I wouldn't expect too much.

                Rich

                Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                > Would people prefer the sat phone to a Spot, perhaps?

              • Lee
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3 3:55 PM
                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Claire - we'll be starting 3rd week of July - hopefully not too bad
                  > mossie - they love my daughter way too much! Barbara
                  >

                  > _____

                  Barbara... be VERY cautious using the "SPOT" for any emergency situation on the trail. I tested one late last year on the P.C.T. and got very poor signal transmission (if any). It may work in the middle of an very open field/meadow and your standing still for fifteen minutes for the sat to pickup the signal, but it is not a device to count on for an emergency of any kind. I sent mine back for refund.... Lee