Re: [John Muir Trail] which cell phone carrier works best at Quail Meadows (to call Vermillion resort from the JMT/'Quail Meadows junction)

  • Derek Peters
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
      I have AT&T as well and have only had cell reception in the eastern sierra when I can see Independence or Lone Pine from the various peaks.
      Derek

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
        the answer might be . . . just use the land lines along the way. there's a couple phones at t'me and a couple more at Red's . . . but otherwise, the answer might be, good luck. get a SAT phone. it really doesn't matter if you miss your pick-up dates at either, T'me, Red's, Vermilion, or MTR . . . most likely, the only place that will start the clock (and give you a week before they toss your supps into the community grab pile) is MTR. Does the "Bucket Babe" have anything to add?
        As for your hook up with the packers��here's yet another reason to PACK IT ALL yourself. you can do it. the packers aren't going to sit there ( and neither is the WAD of green you paid them) and wait for you. Best to give them a date you know you can do and then if you must, sit around a day or so��it's not a bad place to be.

        sparklefart.blogspot.com

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: roleigh@...
        Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:31:49 -0600

        Which cell phone carrier works best at Quail Meadows (to call Vermillion

        resort from the JMT/'Quail Meadows junction)?

        which cell phone carrier works best at Toulumne Meadows (or between Toulumne

        Meadows and Reds Meadow) (to call Reds Meadow resort from the there in case

        one is slow approaching the resort and is going to miss the original date)?

        which cell phone carrier works best at Charlotte Lake or Bullfrog Lake to

        call the packer station at OnionValley Trailhead?

        I know the answer might be nothing for all three.

        Thanks!

        Roleigh

      • jason
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
          I can only offer that I use Verizon Wireless in the Tuolumne Meadows.
          But I haven't tried it while backpacking, only while working or driving.

        • song95139@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
            I had AT&T cell phone carrier and was able to use my cell phone at several locations.  It works well at YV, TM, RM and VVR (only at the Edison Dam at the Bear Ridge Trailhead).  It does not work at all the high passes south of VVR.  I hope this helps.

            Sim

            --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@... > wrote:

            > Which cell phone carrier works best at Quail Meadows (to call Vermillion

            > resort from the JMT/'Quail Meadows junction)?

            > which cell phone carrier works best at Toulumne Meadows (or between

            Toulumne

            > Meadows and Reds Meadow) (to call Reds Meadow resort from the there

            in case

            > one is slow approaching the resort and is going to miss the original

            date)?

            > which cell phone carrier works best at Charlotte Lake or Bullfrog

            Lake to

            > call the packer station at OnionValley Trailhead?

            > I know the answer might be nothing for all three.

            > Thanks!

            > Roleigh

          • Kevin Aston
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
              I have AT&T and had reception on the hill 100yards past the bridge at Vermillion. They have an AT&T tower by the dam.

              Life is what you make it.
              Planning ahead is half the fun.
               Kevin Aston
              www.kevinaston.com