Re: [John Muir Trail] which cell phone carrier works best at Quail Meadows (to call Vermillion resort from the JMT/'Quail Meadows junction)

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
      There is no cell service by any carrier at Onion Valley. When we drove up to OV campground last summer, we had only intermittent service from AT&T once we left Independence and lost it completely about 4 miles out of Independence.

      The Onion Valley Pack Station is not always manned, and they would need a satellite phone for communication.

    • Derek Peters
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
        I have AT&T as well and have only had cell reception in the eastern sierra when I can see Independence or Lone Pine from the various peaks.
        Derek

        ________________________________
        There is no cell service by any carrier at Onion Valley. When we drove up to OV campground last summer, we had only intermittent service from AT&T once we left Independence and lost it completely about 4 miles out of Independence.

        The Onion Valley Pack Station is not always manned, and they would need a satellite phone for communication.

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
          the answer might be . . . just use the land lines along the way. there's a couple phones at t'me and a couple more at Red's . . . but otherwise, the answer might be, good luck. get a SAT phone. it really doesn't matter if you miss your pick-up dates at either, T'me, Red's, Vermilion, or MTR . . . most likely, the only place that will start the clock (and give you a week before they toss your supps into the community grab pile) is MTR. Does the "Bucket Babe" have anything to add?
          As for your hook up with the packers��here's yet another reason to PACK IT ALL yourself. you can do it. the packers aren't going to sit there ( and neither is the WAD of green you paid them) and wait for you. Best to give them a date you know you can do and then if you must, sit around a day or so��it's not a bad place to be.

          sparklefart.blogspot.com

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: roleigh@...
          Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:31:49 -0600

          Which cell phone carrier works best at Quail Meadows (to call Vermillion

          resort from the JMT/'Quail Meadows junction)?

          which cell phone carrier works best at Toulumne Meadows (or between Toulumne

          Meadows and Reds Meadow) (to call Reds Meadow resort from the there in case

          one is slow approaching the resort and is going to miss the original date)?

          which cell phone carrier works best at Charlotte Lake or Bullfrog Lake to

          call the packer station at OnionValley Trailhead?

          I know the answer might be nothing for all three.

          Thanks!

          Roleigh

        • jason
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
            I can only offer that I use Verizon Wireless in the Tuolumne Meadows.
            But I haven't tried it while backpacking, only while working or driving.

          • song95139@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2009
              I had AT&T cell phone carrier and was able to use my cell phone at several locations.  It works well at YV, TM, RM and VVR (only at the Edison Dam at the Bear Ridge Trailhead).  It does not work at all the high passes south of VVR.  I hope this helps.

              Sim

              --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@... > wrote:

              > Which cell phone carrier works best at Quail Meadows (to call Vermillion

              > resort from the JMT/'Quail Meadows junction)?

              > which cell phone carrier works best at Toulumne Meadows (or between

              Toulumne

              > Meadows and Reds Meadow) (to call Reds Meadow resort from the there

              in case

              > one is slow approaching the resort and is going to miss the original

              date)?

              > which cell phone carrier works best at Charlotte Lake or Bullfrog

              Lake to

              > call the packer station at OnionValley Trailhead?

              > I know the answer might be nothing for all three.

              > Thanks!

              > Roleigh

            • Kevin Aston
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
                I have AT&T and had reception on the hill 100yards past the bridge at Vermillion. They have an AT&T tower by the dam.

                Life is what you make it.
                Planning ahead is half the fun.
                 Kevin Aston
                www.kevinaston.com