Re: wood stoves on the JMT ????

  • jason
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
      I think you make a valid point. However, if it is true that an
      estimated 600 permits were issued in 2004, and half of those parties
      used wood burning stoves, we would have a massively impacted trail. I
      spend a lot of time in the Yosemite backcountry and I simply try to
      minimize my impact. I don't make fires or use wood burning stoves
      primarily because of the impact. Both immediate and long term.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ima Person <imaperson91@...> wrote:

      > how about everyone take a step back before condemning this wood
      stove idea and  look at all the "environmental damage" that went into
      the discovery/extraction process for the metal and oil used in the
      production of your non-wood(gas) stove as well as the fuel that you
      are using.  How much of the ecosystem was damaged during the drilling,
      pumping, refining and shipping of the fuel you are burning?

      > Yes, there are issues with wood use in a heavy impact area but I
      suspect the overall "environmental impact" of a white gas or butane
      stove vs this type of wood stove is nil.  You just don't see the
      impact when you burn your gas because it was derived somewhere else in
      the world.

      in many areas of the trail, plus like what the last guy said, it's bad
      from an environmentalist stand point, and I am somewhat conservative
      in that area; I wouldn't even use wood stoves up there. Besides, by
      the time you gather wood needed and light the fire, you would already
      be relaxing from a full hot meal if you had a gas stove. Try looking
      into a whisper light by MSR. I have used that thing for about 10 years
      and it has never failed me. It's light and works very well.