Permit Request Question

  • shawnmnold
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2014
      I'm planning a July start for my 2014 JMT Thru hike.  I want to also do half dome as my daughter has never done it.  I have my desired start date picked.  I'll be faxing in my request form 168 days in advance.

      My question:  When it asks for 3 choices, should I a) select three different dates or b) just different first night camp spots?
      I'm just curious as to how competitive the permits are.  Only 18 reservab;e available for LYV and 6 going past each day.  Then the cables.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2014
        On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM, <shawnmnold@...> wrote:
        When it asks for 3 choices, should I a) select three different dates or b) just different first night camp spots?

        Works best if you choose three different trailheads. Give a thought to the option start from Glacier Point and hiking downhill to Illouette. Nice way to start a JMT and you join it before it gets to Half Dome.

        For a map of trailheads, see

        For other ideas, see

      • caohuynh85
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2014
          Does anyone know how the permit approval/selection work ? Do I fax the form in right at 5pm PT a day prior to the date listed in the table (see below) to get priority ? Or they pile everything up and make a lottery out of it ?

          See below to know which is the first day to make reservation ?
        • berdomb
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2014
            The website describes it pretty well.

            You cant put down different dates. Put down different starting trailheads and permits.
          • shawnmnold
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2014

              You're the 2nd person to say only one date but the website says this:
              Step 1: Fill out the application form.
              Please complete the form on your computer and then print out to fax or mail it. If you must handwrite your responses, please write clearly. Fill out form completely. Provide a day time telephone number that we can reach you if we have any questions. In case your first choice is not available, list alternative dates and/or trailheads, in order of preference to which you can commit.

              ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <berdomb@...> wrote:

              The website describes it pretty well.

              You cant put down different dates. Put down different starting trailheads and permits.
            • Ray Rippel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2014
                Good evening, Shawn,

                Let me see if I can help:

                   - The first rule is that no reservation can be made more than 168 days in advance.

                   - That said, you can list multiple dates on the request, but none of the dates can be more than 168 days in the future.

                What that means, practically, if you are attempting to get a permit from one of the trailheads that always fill up on the first day, you can't successfully request more than one date at a time because the quotas 166 days out, or 155 days out, will already be gone.

                Hope that helps and doesn't confuse things further.

                Good hiking, Ray

              • shawnmnold
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2014
                  Yes, thanks.  I'll be requesting three different start options each with the date.  Then repeat day after day until i get my permits.  I may put down to except the permits without half dome permits if they are not available then try to get them once I'm there.  Allot of people say, "don't worry just get the walk up permits".  It may be easier but it's still a gamble especially when I'. planning a 3 week vacation.

                  Thanks for your response.  I'll try to post back at the end of the month with my success story in acquiring my permits.