Hiking opportunities in mid-March

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2014
      Being unfamiliar with the weather in the area, would there be any opportunities during a "normal" year to hike a loop (~30-40 miles) durinhg mid-March with no snow?
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2014
        Shane,

        There wouldn't be a "normal year, " without snow in mid-march---but the way things are going, you might get your wish. I think, in spite of the low snow conditions there's still enough of it as well as it just being cold, that might hamper any kind of loop in the Sierra, but if you're good with frigid temps, it ought to be great.

        Bob Shattuck

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2014
          April 1st, on average, is the deepest snowpack in the Sierra Nevada. So a March hike is likely to require significant snow skills.

          Lost Coast trail is nice in March. The usual stretch (but actually only the northern half) runs along the Coast from from Mattole River to Shelter Cove, CA - about 3 days

          If you want, you can continue south of Shelter Cove into Sinkyone Wilderness and add about another 3 days on the southern half of the trail to Usal Beach

          On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Shane <sswells4@...> wrote:

          Being unfamiliar with the weather in the area, would there be any opportunities during a "normal" year to hike a loop (~30-40 miles) durinhg mid-March with no snow?

        • Kim Fishburn

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2014
              Hetch Hetchy is usually pretty good in spring. I generally go out there every year right after Easter, and spend a night or two at Rancheria Falls. Though some of the trails in the area are still closed due to fire damage, the Rancheria Falls trail is open quite a way at the moment.

              I missed going up there last Spring, only because the road was closed due to a slide.
            • ymagcat
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2014

                Hiked part of Sinkyone trail (Visitor center south to Wheeler where I bailed back to Bear Harbor as smelled a storm coming in...) near Thanksgiving..sad to see that the trail has erroded badly and very scary in 2 spots. Brambles "worst in 11 years.." overgrowing trail in stretches-very trippy with enough exposure to...

                would not want to be on parts of this trail in rain due to errosion.Elk in abundance!

                Bear Harbor is just lovely and a short nice hike from Visitor Center.