New BV500 is sister proof

  • allison1288
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2014
      I've been having fun with some of my new gear. My sister didn't know how a plastic bucket could be bear proof and she tried to open it. I though you'd all like a good laugh :)

      Link for the video:

      http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/2014/01/bv500-sister-proof.html
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2014

        "I've been having fun with some of my new gear."

        it's always fun when you're home and comfy, but you won't be laughing too much when it's 6 a.m. and you're trying to get your cold fingers to push and pull and get that thing open (or the tent set up, or stove started)  . . . practice, practice, practice, or let the cat do it.

        That's also why I still love my Garcia.

        BOB

      • allison1288
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2014
          I have been practicing plenty. That was just me getting a kick out of having my little sister give it a try. I think my cat might be better at it than her :)

        • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2014
            Huh? It takes me seconds to open my bear vault with the screw driver blade on my knife. No problem at all.

            Ken.

            > "I've been having fun with some of my new gear."
            > it's always fun when you're home and comfy, but you won't be laughing too much when it's 6 a.m. and you're trying to get your cold fingers to push and pull and get that thing open (or the tent set up, or stove started) . . . practice, practice, practice, or let the cat do it.
            > That's also why I still love my Garcia.
            > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

          • Bill Cathey

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2014
                Yes, as long as someone is aware of the tip to use a knife blade (or credit card, etc.) and has one available, it's much easier to open a bearvault on a cold day. But not everyone is aware of that tip. I don't believe it's included in the instructions.

                And, speaking from experience, bearvaults are definitely difficult to open with cold hands ;o)

                bill

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2014
                  haha I did see that after. I opened it up for her after real quick and then showed her how to do it. Like others have said, on a cold day a knife or small rock would do the trick. I'd rather have it be a little more difficult to open than all my food be gone. And I love how you can see through it!

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cathey <b.cathey@...> wrote:

                  > Funny video. For extra teasing pleasure, make sure you mention to her that there is a bear that can open the can. From the REI page: "There is a bear in the Marcy Dam area of the Adirondacks in upstate New York that has learned to open BearVault food containers. BearVaults are approved for use everywhere except the area encompassing the Lake Colden/Marcy Dam corridor and the Johns Brook valley in the Adirondacks."
                  >
                  > <http://www.rei.com/product/768902/bearvault-bv500-food-container>
                  >
                  > bill
                  >
                  > > On Jan 4, 2014, at 1:51 PM, "allison1288" <allison.nadler88@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've been having fun with some of my new gear. My sister didn't know how a plastic bucket could be bear proof and she tried to open it. I though you'd all like a good laugh :)
                  > >
                  > > Link for the video:
                  > >
                  > > http://4000-footers.blogspot.com/2014/01/bv500-sister-proof.html

                • mitchhike
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2014
                    How is how I learned to open my BV500. I use a credit card which I attached to bottom.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEbLfL_lSU
                  • allison1288
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2014
                      I did watch a couple videos before I got mine. Smart idea about attaching yours to the bottom. Mine is like second nature sans cold hands so I have a couple back up options to open it when that is the case :)