Sierra Snowpack

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 2, 2014
      I was up above Lake Tahoe today doing some work around Heavenly Valley Ski
      Resort, and expecting to have to do a little snowshoeing to my job at around
      8200' of elevation, but what I encountered was a bit alarming. I was able to
      walk in my trail runners the mile or so with the deepest snow being in the shade
      of trees at about 2-4". I know, I will hear 'it's only January', and I'm not
      making ANY forecast here either, but it is bleak as of this moment. I DO hope we
      get some more storms in the next couple of months or it will be a very dry
      summer! I'm hoping for a good 'Pineapple Express' to roll through, but the
      short-term forecast isn't too promising.
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 17, 2014
        Last year, the letter of the rules if strictly adhered to outlawed alcohol stoves.  I remember discussion that some rangers allowed them.  I always hiked with an alcohol stove before last year but last year I abided by the tighter rules and used a Jetboil.  I was very impressed with how frugal the Jetboil is with fuel.  It added maybe 2 oz to my carrying weight in total.

        _

        On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Geoffrey Ransom <geoffreyransom7@...> wrote:

        I'm researching the alcohol stoves now.  Thru hikers I met on AT this summer when I was out for short hikes used them due to being lightweight and a small spill won't result in packing smelling like a gas station.  I've always used a MSR Whisperlight and I think it's great but I'm moving in direction of alcohol stove.  They make some great lightweight titanium ones that will hold up a little better than an aluminum can but having no experience with alcohol stoves I can't really say.  One of the alcohol stoves could be twisted at the bottom to open 2 ports and it would allow for simmering.  The Youtube comment on it, however, was that the base gets too hot to twist to change to simmer so I think people have fashioned ways to get it to twist at the base without touching.  Lots of stuff on Youtube and internet…kinda overwhelming.  I am going to go easy route and just buy small titanium one and not get bogged down with trying to make something.  They have been using the alcohol stoves in Europe for a very long time.  If you plan to do more than boil water you might not like the alcohol stove.  I am going to adjust my cooking for this trip to boiling water because I want to cut the weight wherever I can.  Geoff

        On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Stuart Dodson <stuartdodson@...> wrote:

        Yes they are good. I use a FeatherFire stove which allows simmering. Lots of instructions how to make one on the web and Youtube. Andrew Skurka used a Fancy Feast stove on his epic walks.Not sure about the regulations for use on the JMT. Someone will come along and tell us.

        On Sunday, 5 January 2014, 14:35, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:

        "As far as expending energy, I'm going back to making some homemade alcohol stoves!"

        I bought one of these from a fellow in Houston who has hiked all the trails there are, I've never used it though, does anyone actually use them? If so, I'd like to hear their experiences.

        Ken
        (Child of my father and all the fore-fathers there ever were):-)

        --
        Geoffrey J. Ransom
        The Law Office of Geoffrey J. Ransom, P.L.L.C

        Geoffrey J. Ransom, Esq., concentrates his practice in the areas of elder law, trust and estate planning, and trust and probate administration in New Hampshire.
        Circular 230 Disclosure:  Any tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used (i) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer, or (ii) to promote, market or recommend to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.
        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
        This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, contact the sender via reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.