Re: JMT August 2001

  • pondzilla
    Message 1 of 473 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hi Mel,<br>Your Website is one of the ones that I
      have visited. Great Site... and a "Dream" Job you have
      there, packing folks and supplies in with your Lamas. I
      love the way you celebrate!!! <br>I tried to turn my
      backpacking hobby into a business and nearly starved to death
      :)<br>I opened a backpacking shop in my home town of
      Porterville in the early 80's . It was a lot of fun working
      with all the Backpackers from the
      area...Bear,Snake,fish stories are always fun. But after four years in
      business I could just barely pay myself minimum wage... So
      I packed it in. I did some trail maintenance in the
      Golden Trout Wilderness....back when they contracted it
      out....that was a great summer job! We worked 22 days in the
      Kern Canyon from Jerky Meadows to the Kern Ranger
      Station. <br>Most of my backpacking has been done in
      Mineral King and the G.T.W. and one trip from Onion
      Valley to Cedar Grove. But mostly the same 3-4 day trips
      to our favorite unpopulated areas.<br>Sorry to
      rattle on ...I love to talk about this stuff.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002