Permit options for short first day

  • mitchhike
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 17, 2013
      I will flying from NY to LA and meeting my hiking partner who will be picking me up at airport. If we arrive at Yosemite at 2:30 does it make sense to start hiking so we can start to adjust to altitude.

      I was thinking of these options.

      1) Hike HI to LYV. Its only 4 miles.
      2) Hike HI to Illilouette
      3) Hike HI  to LYV pass thru and stop first legal stop after LYV
      4) Hike GP to Illilouette, Not sure how to get to GP or even makes any sense.
    • mitchhike
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 17, 2013
        I will be starting beginning of July 2014
      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 17, 2013
          "Hike HI to LYV. Its only 4 miles."

          Sure it is, only straight up.

          I'd stay in the backpackers camp in the valley that night.

          Ken.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <mitch@...> wrote:

          > I will flying from NY to LA and meeting my hiking partner who will be picking me up at airport. If we arrive at Yosemite at 2:30 does it make sense to start hiking so we can start to adjust to altitude.
          >
          > I was thinking of these options.
          >
          > 1) Hike HI to LYV. Its only 4 miles.
          > 2) Hike HI to Illilouette
          > 3) Hike HI to LYV pass thru and stop first legal stop after LYV
          > 4) Hike GP to Illilouette, Not sure how to get to GP or even makes any sense.

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 17, 2013
            By the time you get into the valley you'll  already be adjusting to the altitude. And the heat. It'll no doubt be in the 80's or more and while jumping on the trail around four still gives you about four good hours to get up to LYV, I'd just stay in the valley.

            There's also the fact that you just flew cross-country which ought to put a lag in your step,so again, I'd just enjoy a night in the valley.

            Drain your retirement account with a few $10 beers over in Curry Village.

            Or am I missing something here...

            DO YOU PLAN on getting a "walk up" permit??? I'd so, at about 3 pm your options might be very limited or none at all other than getting in line early next morning.

            If you get in and do an afternoon pass thru on LYV, you're looking at getting up just past the half dome junction and at least a 5-6 hour uphill grind, with no doubt the last hour or more in the dark.

            I did GP for the first time last year and it was great. I'd certainly recommend it but the best way to get there is to spend $25 for the bus that takes an hour. Do your research, but I caught the 10 a.m. and was on the trail by 11---lots of very casual downhill with lovely classic views and very little uphill, versus starting at HI.

            Also, from the GP trailhead I probably encountered four people before I got to the falls and the junction and hit all the HD traffic.

            I think there was an 8 a.m., 10 a.m. , 1pm and....maybe a 3 pm, but again, do your research.

            by spending the night in the valley, you'll be able, if required of you, to get to sunrise, but it'll no doubt be a hot one and as others have said "it's all uphill" and take advantage of every water source you find after the HD junction as this is one of those dry stretches where you see water in the map, but the reality by season to season is a little different. That said, all the usual sources have been in place, minus one, since I started doing it in 96.

            Ha, I just re-read your post and realized you're coming from L.A.  ........ I wouldn't be making any strict time frames.

             Bob Shattuck

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Dec 17, 2013, at 4:43 PM, "kennethjessett@..." <kenjessett@...> wrote:

            "Hike HI to LYV. Its only 4 miles."

            Sure it is, only straight up.

            I'd stay in the backpackers camp in the valley that night.

            Ken.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <mitch@...> wrote:

            > I will flying from NY to LA and meeting my hiking partner who will be picking me up at airport. If we arrive at Yosemite at 2:30 does it make sense to start hiking so we can start to adjust to altitude.
            >
            > I was thinking of these options.
            >
            > 1) Hike HI to LYV. Its only 4 miles.
            > 2) Hike HI to Illilouette
            > 3) Hike HI to LYV pass thru and stop first legal stop after LYV
            > 4) Hike GP to Illilouette, Not sure how to get to GP or even makes any sense.

          • berdomb
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 17, 2013

              You will either need to pick up your permit the day before you leave,

              OR have them hold it for late pickup if you arrive after 10am the day your trip starts.

              2:30 is getting late

              In the unfortunate circumstance you are delayed beyond business hours (5pm), your permit would be cancelled.

              You are allowing yourself 2.5 hrs leeway to pick up your permit.

              How lucky do you feel?

            • ravi_jmt2013
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 18, 2013

                My suggestion is to spend at least one night in Yosemite Valley and then start the next morning.  It is good to get an early start at Happy Isles if you want to avoid the crowds, especially if you take the Mist trail rather than the JMT to Nevada Falls.

                This year I spent two nights in Yosemite Valley prior to the start of my trip.  I hiked the Mist trail to Nevada Falls very early on the morning after my first night and there were very few people on the trail.  The next morning, I started at Happy Isles at around 10am since I had to visit the post office before leaving and the trail was extremely crowded until reaching the Mist Trail/JMT intersection.

                I'm not sure how much staying in the valley for two nights helped in terms of adjusting to the altitude but I enjoyed the day hiking and pizza at Curry Village despite the crowds.  It was a good way to start the trip.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 18, 2013

                  Thanks for the reply.  I am trying to give myself more permit options and more hiking days since I have a hard deadline to get back to work. I am planning on averaging 15 miles a day, so if the only permit I receive is to LYV or Illilouette on day one I will need to make up the mileage.    Can I call the permit office and tell then I am  picking up my permit late?

                • ravi_jmt2013
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 18, 2013

                    According to the Yosemite website, you can call the permit office to let them know if you will be picking up the permit after 10am (otherwise they will release the permit to walk-ins).  The website indicates that the permits must nevertheless be picked up during business hours so I don't think there are provisions to leave the permit in a drop box.

                    http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm

                    "Even with a reservation, you, or another member of your hiking group, must pick up the wilderness permit at any permit station during business hours the day of, or the day before, your hike. Reserved permits are held until 10 am on the day of your trip. If you will arrive later than 10 am on the day of your trip, please call us to hold your permit for a late arrival: 209/372-0308 (this number is for cancellations and late arrivals only). Otherwise, your permit reservation will be canceled. Permits held for late arrival still must be picked up at a permit station during business hours."

                  • herbstroh
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 18, 2013
                      Mitch--

                      I have to disagree with the notion that staying in the valley at the backpacker camp in July is preferable to a night on the trail. Yosemite Valley ("YV") in July is VERY crowded (think Disneyland at elevation), and the backpacker camp is no exception. Granted, a close-in site will probably not offer great solitude, but I find it more appealing than hanging in the Valley.

                      Regarding your stated options, all are certainly do-able with a mid-afternoon arrival time. With the exception of a GP start, all will require some climbing. But that time of year gives you plenty of evening light to work with, and is a delightful time to be on the trail. A GP start in late afternoon to Illiouette is very lovely, but without transportation I think it adds too much to your already tight time table.

                      The logistics of picking up your permit are a concern, particularly if you are delayed. Rather than risk loss of the permit, my suggestion is to reserve a permit for the day after your arrival. When you pick up your permit, inquire about options to start that day. Getting something out of HI is not guaranteed, but is certainly possible. We have used this strategy three times, and have always been able to get out somewhere that day on a walk-up. If you are up to it, you might try to go out of GP by hitchhiking to the trail head, but figure a couple hours to connect rides getting there. While it is also possible to hike to GP from the Valley, it would be very physically demanding for a first day after flying in.

                      If you are on-time and get a walk-up, hit the trail. If late, or nothing is available, you can fall back on the backpacker camp.

                      Herb
                    • robert shattuck
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 18, 2013
                        Mitch, just a note, but yeah, making that 15 a day can be a chore for the first few days. If for whatever reason you need to make up a day, I would suggest, once you get to thousand islands, that you cut down and take the River Trail and (horrors!!!!) catch the free shuttle bus at Agnew meadows which will get you to Reds in about 20 minutes and knock off probably an entire days worth of miles.

                        Bob Shattuck

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 18, 2013
                          There's nothing wrong with taking a bus if it's there. This year exiting the trail at Tuolumne onto the road - having missed the trail signs to the backpackers camp - and starting the walk along the road, the bus came up, I hopped on, and didn't feel at all guilty about that. It saved me maybe 2 miles hike, but by that time in the late afternoon, it was very welcome.

                          Ken.

                          > Mitch, just a note, but yeah, making that 15 a day can be a chore for the first few days. If for whatever reason you need to make up a day, I would suggest, once you get to thousand islands, that you cut down and take the River Trail and (horrors!!!!) catch the free shuttle bus at Agnew meadows which will get you to Reds in about 20 minutes and knock off probably an entire days worth of miles.
                          >
                          > Bob Shattuck

                        • Larry Beck
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 18, 2013
                            You miss some very incredible sections of the JMT by taking that bus though.

                            Ruby Lake
                            Garnet Lake
                            Shadow Lake
                            Rosalie Lake
                            Johnston Meadows
                            Devil's Post Pile

                            to name a few...

                            Larry
                            There's nothing wrong with taking a bus if it's there. This year exiting the trail at Tuolumne onto the road - having missed the trail signs to the backpackers camp - and starting the walk along the road, the bus came up, I hopped on, and didn't feel at all guilty about that. It saved me maybe 2 miles hike, but by that time in the late afternoon, it was very welcome.

                            Ken.

                            > Mitch, just a note, but yeah, making that 15 a day can be a chore for the first few days. If for whatever reason you need to make up a day, I would suggest, once you get to thousand islands, that you cut down and take the River Trail and (horrors!!!!) catch the free shuttle bus at Agnew meadows which will get you to Reds in about 20 minutes and knock off probably an entire days worth of miles.
                            >
                            > Bob Shattuck

                          • mitchhike
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 19, 2013
                              Thanks all for your comments.  The best option looks like for me to take late flight from NY to LA the day before start date. My friend can and I can leave early in morning and drive to Yosemite. This will allow me to arrive in Yosemite earlier in the day, see the village,  and still have a short first day.
                            • Robert
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 21, 2013
                                Mitch, making it to LYV on your first night shouldn't really be too big of a deal, IMO. I don't enough about your 'normal' hiking pace to know for sure, but even if you got started in the early afternoon, I would think you would be fine. Personally, I avoid the backpackers campground AND LYV and try to get to Clouds Rest Jct on a late start at HI after taking YARTS in from Mammoth. The one time I had a LYV stay, I intententionally started at 4:00PM so I wouldn't have to hang out there too long. There are some nice sections to swim or bath in the Merced along there though, which makes it a bit nicer to pass the time. Obviously, you will have to take your past history of your hiking tempo into consideration, but even at a measly 1 MPH pace, you could leave as late as 2-3 in the afternoon, and still soak up Vernal and Nevada Falls.