Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply drop over Kearsarge Pass

  • John Hagelman
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 9, 2009
      Two years ago was a very dry year. My friend and others did just that, dropping the pack and heading up to Half Dome. I went on up the trail a bit further to set up camp. It so happened that year there was a juvenile aged bear in the area. It being a dry year, there were few berries and this bear was raiding backpacks. He completely ransacked my friends pack, damaging the pack and scattering his belongings. He did the same to the other hikers packs. One of the other hikers was assessed a fine as not all of their food/smelly items were contained in a bear canister. My friend was not fined, and the ranger helped him gorilla tape his pack back together.

      Moral: be careful putting your pack out there - the bears are onto it!

      ________________________________
      From: herbstroh@... <herbstroh@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 11:14 PM

      Little Yosemite Valley is about 6 miles from Happy Isles and is a spot

      along the JMT. People that are doing Half Dome as an overnight, camp there

      and day hike the 3.2 miles or so up to the Dome. If your permit is for LYV

      you are supposed to camp there the first night. But obviously, you can then

      continue on with your JMT hike thereafter.

      Glacier Point joins the JMT just before Nevada Falls. I think the mileage

      is about the same as starting from Happy Isles.

      You should probably check the rules on group size. You are not allowed to

      link up two groups that exceed the max number of people per party because

      of the impact on camp sites, etc.

      See you on the trail.

      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 9, 2009