Visiting Mt. Whitney

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
      On my thru hike of the JMT this year, the summit of Mt. Whitney was quite cloudy and I didn't get the type of 360 degree views that I hoped for, although the views opened up quite a bit as I descended from the summit.  I'd like to visit Mt. Whitney again sometime in 2014 but I'm not thru hiking the JMT next year (I'll be thru hiking the Colorado Trail).

      I definitely don't want to hike Mt. Whitney as a day trip and I'd like to avoid Whitney Portal entirely if possible.  My initial thought was to plan on a trip from Horseshoe Meadow to Onion Valley with two nights at Crabtree Meadows and a day hike up to Mt. Whitney.  However, I've been reading more about the High Sierra Trail and thinking that it might be a more interesting choice covering more ground that I haven't seen before.  If I hike the HST, I would probably exit at Whitney Portal.  The mileage for both options seems roughly comparable.

      Any thoughts on whether the High Sierra Trail or Horseshoe Meadows to Onion Valley would make for a more interesting trip would be appreciated. Thanks!
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
        I recommend the HST -- a bunch of reasons:

        1.  you start the hike from Giant Forest, home of the biggest trees in the world
        2.  you cross the Great Western Divide as you do Kaweah Gap
        3.  you go through a cool, man made tunnel in the cliffs
        4.  you see the neatest mountain lake I've ever seen, Precipice Lake

        5.  you go by a free, natural hot springs in the Kern Canyon
        6.  you have two ways to go, take the one that has you go by Moraine Lake (instead of bypassing it) -- it is a great swimming lake
        7.  you hike in the 3rd deepest canyon in the USA -- Kern Canyon
        8.  there are bear boxes every 8 miles except at Guitar Lake -- for a group, you only need the smallest legal bear canister, just to handle that one night
        9.  you meet JMT hikers and can BS with them for the last 22 miles
        10. you enjoy Whitney on the hike

        A great hike.  I enjoyed the HST 7 years.  I've done the hike from Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney though.  Nice but nothing like the HST.

        _

      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
          Roleigh, Wonderful looking lake, thanks for posting.

          How far off the JMT would you have to go to see it?

          Ken.

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
            About 30-32 miles down the HST from Wallace Creek JMT  / HST junction.

            Sent from my iPhone
            See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
            http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013

              Thanks for the information.  The lake does look interesting. I've never seen the Giant Forest which would be an added bonus. I'll try to get a reserved permit for the HST.

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
                Ravi,

                There is a Yahoo Group devoted to the HST and other Sequoia trails, called sequoiakingscanyonhikers@yahoogroups.com  - I belong to the group, extremely low traffic until someone posts a question but lots of members who have done the HST.

                _

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
                  The day before you start your hike, walk through the 2-3 mile Giant Forest that has an asphalt, wheelchair-accessible trail -- that is where the absolute biggest trees are, including the General Sherman, the world's biggest tree.  When you actually start the hike, you're still in Giant Forest but not that part holding the absolute biggest trees.

                  If you can get to Lodgepole 2 days early, there is a cavern system in Sequoia National Park and it is the 2nd largest cavern system in the USA, 2nd only to Carlsbad.  That is definitely worth a tour too -- use the guided tour to do that.

                  The food at Lodgepole hotel/inn is fab.  Great place to eat.

                  Best to reserve a tent spot to tent at Lodgepole in the next 30-45 days.

                  They do have a shuttle bus to Lodgepole from Visallia, and from Lodgepole to Crescent Meadows (where the TH is for HST).

                  Roleigh

                  _

                  On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                  Ravi,

                  There is a Yahoo Group devoted to the HST and other Sequoia trails, called sequoiakingscanyonhikers@yahoogroups.com  - I belong to the group, extremely low traffic until someone posts a question but lots of members who have done the HST.

                  _

                  On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM, <ravi@...> wrote:

                  Thanks for the information.  The lake does look interesting. I've never seen the Giant Forest which would be an added bonus. I'll try to get a reserved permit for the HST.

                • Robert
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
                    I will second Roleigh's suggestion of the HST! Very nice hike. I haven't done it from the western trailhead, but picked it up near Bearpaw Meadow after coming in over Shepherd, Colby, and Elizabeth Passes a couple of summers ago. Hamilton Lake was a fantastic swimming lake as well. Precipice Lake is very nice, but it is was one of the coldest lakes I have ever swam in! Kaweah Gap and Nine Lakes Basin were also cool. I wasn't overly impressed by the Kern Hot Springs, but it was a nice break on that section of trail. I recommend timing the hot springs for morning or evening, as Kern Canyon gets warm. I would say the hardest part of the HST is vehicle and transportation logistics doing it as a one way. That is the reason we chose a semi-loop in 2012, and after seeing how spectacular Cloud, Colby, and Deadman Canyons were, It's not a decision I regretted!

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
                      A great loop of the HST is to do a Lasso Rope Loop from Crescent Meadows TH in Sequoia NPS to Kern Canyon on HST the instead of going uphill on HST go south  9 miles to ranger station near suspension bridge over Kern River and then Eastward 17 miles thru Sequoia Natl Forest then thru Golden Trout Wilderness (all on trail ) to HorseShoe Meadow Th. Resupply at Lone Pine. Re-enter next morning at Horseshoe Meadows TH onto PCT North to  Crabtree Meadows. Do Whitney then back on HST actual trail back to Crescent Meadows. 151 mile loop. I did this in 2007. We skipped Whitney and at Crabtree kept going on HST back to. Crescent Meadows. I started doing JMT in 2008.

                      On Dec 14, 2013, at 10:20 PM, "Robert" <rnperky@...> wrote:

                      I will second Roleigh's suggestion of the HST! Very nice hike. I haven't done it from the western trailhead, but picked it up near Bearpaw Meadow after coming in over Shepherd, Colby, and Elizabeth Passes a couple of summers ago. Hamilton Lake was a fantastic swimming lake as well. Precipice Lake is very nice, but it is was one of the coldest lakes I have ever swam in! Kaweah Gap and Nine Lakes Basin were also cool. I wasn't overly impressed by the Kern Hot Springs, but it was a nice break on that section of trail. I recommend timing the hot springs for morning or evening, as Kern Canyon gets warm. I would say the hardest part of the HST is vehicle and transportation logistics doing it as a one way. That is the reason we chose a semi-loop in 2012, and after seeing how spectacular Cloud, Colby, and Deadman Canyons were, It's not a decision I regretted!

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ravi@...> wrote:

                      > On my thru hike of the JMT this year, the summit of Mt. Whitney was quite cloudy and I didn't get the type of 360 degree views that I hoped for, although the views opened up quite a bit as I descended from the summit. I'd like to visit Mt. Whitney again sometime in 2014 but I'm not thru hiking the JMT next year (I'll be thru hiking the Colorado Trail).
                      >
                      > I definitely don't want to hike Mt. Whitney as a day trip and I'd like to avoid Whitney Portal entirely if possible. My initial thought was to plan on a trip from Horseshoe Meadow to Onion Valley with two nights at Crabtree Meadows and a day hike up to Mt. Whitney. However, I've been reading more about the High Sierra Trail and thinking that it might be a more interesting choice covering more ground that I haven't seen before. If I hike the HST, I would probably exit at Whitney Portal. The mileage for both options seems roughly comparable.
                      >
                      > Any thoughts on whether the High Sierra Trail or Horseshoe Meadows to Onion Valley would make for a more interesting trip would be appreciated. Thanks!

                    • Ernie Bonacum
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 14, 2013
                        On 12/14/2013 2:47 PM, kennethjessett@... wrote:

                        Roleigh, Wonderful looking lake, thanks for posting.

                        How far off the JMT would you have to go to see it?

                        Precipice Lake is right along the HST if you go the way Roleigh outlined. I've done the HST that way, got to see the sunset on top of Mt Whitney, slept up on top, and then saw the sunrise. Awesome! Every day on the HST we said it couldn't be better than the day we just had, and every day WAS better! It is a fantastic trail.
                        Ernie

                      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 15, 2013
                          I'm living in the wrong part of the world; how envious it is I am of those who live close to these wonders. :-)

                          Ken.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ernie Bonacum <websailor@...> wrote:

                          > On 12/14/2013 2:47 PM, kennethjessett@... wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Roleigh, Wonderful looking lake, thanks for posting.
                          > >
                          > > How far off the JMT would you have to go to see it?
                          > >
                          > Precipice Lake is right along the HST if you go the way Roleigh
                          > outlined. I've done the HST that way, got to see the sunset on top of Mt
                          > Whitney, slept up on top, and then saw the sunrise. Awesome! Every day
                          > on the HST we said it couldn't be better than the day we just had, and
                          > every day WAS better! It is a fantastic trail.
                          > Ernie

                        • Ernie Bonacum
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 15, 2013
                            On 12/14/2013 5:02 PM, ravi@... wrote:

                            Thanks for the information.  The lake does look interesting. I've never seen the Giant Forest which would be an added bonus. I'll try to get a reserved permit for the HST.

                            If you would like to see a lot of pictures from our HST trip I have them on my pictures website. Here is a picture of Precipice Lake:
                            Precipice Lake
                            There was snow all around it, so I didn't go swimming in it. But every day of our trip we stopped at places with great swimming - except on Mt Whitney. ;-)

                            Ernie
                          • ravi_jmt2013
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 15, 2013

                              Thanks for the pictures.  It is interesting how little there is online regarding the HST compared to the JMT.  I can envision some great loop trips or even a combined HST/JMT thru hike.

                            • Robert
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 15, 2013
                                I think the biggest reason it hasn't caught on as a major trail is vehicle logistics, they're actually harder than the JMT unless you have someone willing to spend a long day driving you to one end or the other. There are many loop options that one can do with the HST that get you to some spectacular SEKI high country that doesn't see a lot of use. I have a trip report on my 2011 loop on TrailJournals :

                                http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=363888

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 15, 2013
                                  Here is a map of the 15 day loop hike of the HST I did in 2007.  Follow the sharpie line in a counterclockwise manner.  Start from the far left (end at the far left).

                                  Link

                                  _

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 15, 2013
                                    The map did not have the level of detail I wanted to work with, but it was the only available map this afternoon that showed everything in one place.  I am 99% sure I am depicting the actual route I took.  I was on a trail the entire time, and I detailed the route earlier in this thread.  I crossed the Kern Canyon on a suspension bridge at each crossing.

                                    _

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 15, 2013
                                      The map I used is here:

                                      The map did not have the level of detail I wanted to work with, but it was the only available map this afternoon that showed everything in one place.  I am 99% sure I am depicting the actual route I took.  I was on a trail the entire time, and I detailed the route earlier in this thread.  I crossed the Kern Canyon on a suspension bridge at each crossing.

                                      On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                                      Here is a map of the 15 day loop hike of the HST I did in 2007.  Follow the sharpie line in a counterclockwise manner.  Start from the far left (end at the far left).

                                    • Inga Aksamit
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 16, 2013
                                        I can only comment on the High Sierra Trail but I did it in 2012 and loved it. I thought it was a wonderful way to approach Mt Whitney--every day was beautiful and each day was different in terms of topography and views. If you want to read about our experience (with photos) I wrote a 3 part series on my blog, Inga's Adventures: http://ingasadventures.com/2012/10/14/the-high-sierra-trail-sequoia-national-park/.

                                        Agree that logistics are challenging. We talked my BFF into picking us up in Lone Pine and taking us back to our car at the starting point but it was a lot to ask. We finished a day early and had to wait for her but I didn't mind because it was fun to hang out at Whitney Portal and spend one more day in the Sierra.

                                        Inga Aksamit
                                        Mobile: 415-470-1812
                                        Email: Iaksamit@...
                                        Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
                                        About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
                                      • Larry Beck
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 16, 2013
                                          A shuttle service works great too although it's more costly.  I would suggest that if you use a shuttle service, you should have the shuttle service meet you early on your first day in Lone Pine and then shuttle you to Lodgepole to get your permit before dropping you off at Crescent Meadows. You can probably get on the trail by 3:30 pm and then hike at least to Mehrten Creek.

                                          You can arrange to have your vehicle(s) at Whitney Portal the night before and hotel it down in Lone Pine. Most of the shuttle services will either give you a ride to town or, if you leave your vehicle with them, they'll valet park it at the portal for you.

                                          That way you come out when you come out and your car is waiting for you.

                                          Larry

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 16, 2013

                                            Larry:

                                            Sorry I got in on this thread at the end.  I am doing the JMT SOBO in July and would like to slide right into the first leg of the SHR (From Roads End) in SEKI and come out at Bishop from the SHR.  Not sure what I am reading below.  Is there a reasonable shuttle from Lone Pine to Road's End in SEKI.  I was planning on and unwanted hike from LP to Road's End but if there is a shuttle I can arrange that would be great.  Please readvise.

                                            thanks

                                            Joe

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 16, 2013
                                                Joe,
                                                I hiked the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadows last summer. We had 14 in our group so I hired Eastern Sierra Shuttle Service (Bob Ennis at 760-876-1915) to haul all of us plus packs to from Lone Pine to Lodgepole and then to Crescent Meadows.

                                                It was not cheap but it was worth it. We paid $114 each. I'm sure it would be cheaper if you had a smaller party so they would not have to take a 14 seater bus pulling a trailer.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 16, 2013

                                                  Roleigh:

                                                  I know the SHR and the HST are different but I was just thinking if there was shuttle to Lodge Pole for the HST, the same guy might take me from LP to Roads End to start the SHR.

                                                  Joe

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 16, 2013
                                                    Another option for a shuttle from the west side is to see about taking park free shuttle from Visallia to Lodgepole or some other location the shuttle services in SEKI and then having a packer drive you from that location to Road's End where the packer services that TH location anyway.

                                                    _