A subscription to consider for Christmas in preparation for your upcoming JMT hike

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 10, 2013
      We have another thread going today about possible Christmas gifts, where the gift is authored or photographed by one of our group members or contributors (who is either a professional author, photographer or cartographer).

      Another great Christmas gift idea is to become a subscriber to what I consider the single best generic backpacking website for mid-to-long distance hiking.  I became a lifetime member as it is the most cost effective approach to obtaining so much research insight (and feedback) about gear, techniques, research and actual trips.

      The people behind the website, many of them, have PhDs in Engineering and have a rigorous approach to evaluating items and methods.

      Below are some links looking into.  You have to be a paid member to gain access to some of the classic articles linked-to below.

      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/about.html

      Some outstanding classic articles:

      "Avalanche Safety for Backcountry Travelers," by Kevin Sawchuk. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

      "Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1A: Testing Overview and List of Packs Tested," by Roger Caffin. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

      "SOTMR: Two-way Satellite Communications for Backpacking: Part 3: Satellite Texting," by Rex Sanders. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

      "Solo-Plus Tent Round-Up," by Chris Wallace. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

      "Ultralight Waterproof-Breathable Jackets: 2012 State of the Market Report," by David Chenault. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

      "Lightweight Integrated Canister Fuel Cooking Systems State of the Market Report 2011: Part 1 – Overview and Performance Evaluation," by Will Rietveld and Janet Reichl. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

      "Mountain SuperUltraLight Backpacking – Going SUL in the Mountains with Adequate Shelter, Insulation, and Rain Protection. Part 2C: Selecting the Lightest, Most Functional Gear - Cooking, Water, Trekking Poles, and Accessories," by Will Rietveld. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).
      _

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 10, 2013
        Their minimal membership is $5/year (forum member) -- it's free to read their forum postings, but you have to be a "forum member" or above to post there.  But for that $5 you get access to all their classic research articles listed on this page:

        _

      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 11, 2013
          Well, not to be a cloud burst, but I suppose you can spend an inordinate amount of time reading all the 'how to's' and 'what not to dos' and what to wear and what not to wear and the right tent and the right boots and the right everything else, or you could just get dressed, step onto the trail and get on with it.

          I think far too many people over think everything and never ever get on with doing what ever it was they were hoping to do in the first place. Backpacker magazine in my opinion definitely falls into the category of confusing potential adventurers (that's right folks it's and adventure to go into the unknown but not an adventure if it's no different from going to the mall) with far too much material to digest from far too many 'experts' having engineering degrees or not.

          Ken.
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 11, 2013
            Ken,

            In general, your viewpoint is totally valid.  Couple of exceptions that are interesting though:

            1.  Some of their articles are on technique vital for doing something new safely -- for instance, suppose you've moved across country and are not trained in hiking in snow in winter in the Sierras, the one article I cited:

            "Avalanche Safety for Backcountry Travelers," by Kevin Sawchuk. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

            Is one really worth reading before just "doing it" without bothering to read expert opinion.  In some cases, "just doing it" can cause people to put themselves in harm's way.

            Another good example,

            "Waterproof Breathable Fabric Technologies: A Comprehensive Primer and State of the Market Technology Review," by Alan Dixon, BackpackingLight.com Product
            Review Program Director. BackpackingLight.com (ISSN 1537-0364).

            One learns there that the lightest, most breathable rain jacket is one that costs less than $32 -- typically one might spend up to $300 on a breathable rain jacket, the savings going with their combo choice saves the cost of a lifetime membership many times over.

            Note, that combo choice is not the most breathable waterproof fabric, eVent was rated such but the lightest, most breathable rain jacket is the 2nd most breathable waterproof fabric, but it is so light that it becomes the lightest, most breathable rain jacket.

            A downside of the jacket is that it is not rugged nor durable and it's important to bring spare, housewrap sheathing tape to repair any rip.  The jacket is this one:

            Another downside of the jacket, is that it is so breathable that it does not keep one warm at all, one can feel the wind go through it, yet it is waterproof.

            Roleigh

            _

            On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

            Well, not to be a cloud burst, but I suppose you can spend an inordinate amount of time reading all the 'how to's' and 'what not to dos' and what to wear and what not to wear and the right tent and the right boots and the right everything else, or you could just get dressed, step onto the trail and get on with it.

            I think far too many people over think everything and never ever get on with doing what ever it was they were hoping to do in the first place. Backpacker magazine in my opinion definitely falls into the category of confusing potential adventurers (that's right folks it's and adventure to go into the unknown but not an adventure if it's no different from going to the mall) with far too much material to digest from far too many 'experts' having engineering degrees or not.

            Ken.

          • Robert
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 11, 2013
              I think your statement about BPL could be applied to this site as well. As for
              me, I think BPL is a pretty useful site, particularly for those of us that enjoy
              packing light and sometimes fast. There are a lot of equipment reviews from real
              people using the gear, and some great trip reports as well. At least there seems
              to be less of a judgemental attitude there on folks that enjoy fastpacking and
              contrary to popular belief, it isn't a rush to get back to the office, but more
              of a personal challenge that some are just 'hard wired' to have. There is a perception that fastpackers are somehow missing out on the wilderness experience because we aren't going slow and steady, but I disagree with that assumption. I do agree with
              you on Backpacker Magazine being fairly a fairly useless magazine, and mostly ads now.

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                I suspect the vast majority of hikers on the JMT do not read BPL or visit this forum and therefore do not concern themselves with gear reports before hitting the trail. For those who do both, welcome and happy trails.

                Ken.

                > I think your statement about BPL could be applied to this site as well. As for
                > me, I think BPL is a pretty useful site, particularly for those of us that enjoy
                > packing light and sometimes fast. There are a lot of equipment reviews from real
                > people using the gear, and some great trip reports as well. At least there seems
                > to be less of a judgemental attitude there on folks that enjoy fastpacking and
                > contrary to popular belief, it isn't a rush to get back to the office, but more
                > of a personal challenge that some are just 'hard wired' to have. There is a perception that fastpackers are somehow missing out on the wilderness experience because we aren't going slow and steady, but I disagree with that assumption. I do agree with
                > you on Backpacker Magazine being fairly a fairly useless magazine, and mostly ads now.
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@" <kenjessett@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Well, not to be a cloud burst, but I suppose you can spend an inordinate amount of time reading all the 'how to's' and 'what not to dos' and what to wear and what not to wear and the right tent and the right boots and the right everything else, or you could just get dressed, step onto the trail and get on with it.
                > >
                > > I think far too many people over think everything and never ever get on with doing what ever it was they were hoping to do in the first place. Backpacker magazine in my opinion definitely falls into the category of confusing potential adventurers (that's right folks it's and adventure to go into the unknown but not an adventure if it's no different from going to the mall) with far too much material to digest from far too many 'experts' having engineering degrees or not.
                > >
                > > Ken.

              • debrabrownbear
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                  I agree with you, Ken, about over thinking every piece of gear vs just getting out there and trying things out. I have, however, learned things critical to my safety from both BPL and this forum, like what to do when faced with these situations: serious lightning, startled bear with cubs, various injuries and medical emergencies, and a host of other "what do we do now?" moments. I am so grateful for the information shared here.Debra
                • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                    Debra,

                    If it helps, then that is good, whatever it takes to get you out on the trail. I prefer to do my due diligence and then not worry too much about the details. So many things occur in the wilderness that it is impossible to predict them all so I don't worry about them. I do freely acknowledge there are those who want to cross the t's and dot the i's before venturing anywhere and if that gives them the comfort level they need then that is good. I do not in any way suggest that people should ignore basic safety concerns, just don't get too much caught up in the minutia of the event that the big picture of 'this is an adventure' is lost.

                    As an aside: I came across a Romanian couple on the trail this year who confessed to being afraid of being alone in the wilderness. They travelled with a group and couldn't face the idea of ever being out of sight of the others, not even for a few yards off the trail. Their whole trip was tightly structured to ensure visible contact at all times. I thought that was very sad.

                    Anyway, Debra, hope you make it in 2014 - as I intend to do. :-)

                    Ken.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                      I'm not sure how the connection is made to getting a subscription to BPL is equated to trying to be overly prepared and over-analyzing their backpacking experience? I enjoy this site and BPL because it connects like-minded people in terms of their love for the outdoors. This site is probably better for information for newcomers to the JMT, whereas BPL has a broader appeal with lightening your load as an objective. I am an experienced packer who wants to learn what lightweight gear is functional and works based on user input that is abundant on BPL. If all you want to do is hike, than why participate on either site?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                        Robert's point is so spot-on there when he wrote: " I enjoy this site and BPL because it connects like-minded people in terms of their love for the outdoors."

                        I have met a lot of wonderful people via my involvement in both sites.  You'll see meetups scheduled a lot more on BPL for training hikes than here but BPL has the software setup for such arrangements, as it is not an email forum.  You'll definitely find a lot of High Sierra and JMT / PCT hikers over there.

                        I have long thought about creating a JohnMuirTrail meetup group (money is involved though).  Should I go through with my planned move to Reno in the next 2-3 months (I'm 95% convinced I will do so), I might start one up -- with the sole purpose for JMT training hike meetups (regardless where the hikers live), as well as for actual JMT segment or JMT Thru-Hikes on the actual JMT.

                        It would be nice to know who all would be interested in such a spin-off.  By the way, meetup.com, has the best scheduling and segway emailing -- where emails are only sent to those interested in doing a specific meetup.  I've never seen a better social group setup for outdoor activities than meetup.com.

                        Roleigh

                        _

                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                          Thanks Roleigh. If hiking is your hobby, whether it be traditional, peak-bagging, fast packing or whatever, embrace it! Have fun researching gear, reading trip reports, giving advice to newcomers, ect. I know the act of hiking is central to the activity, but at least for me, there is much more to it! I like the social aspect, training for a fast pack throughout the year, and yes, counting ounces and analyzing each piece of gear I use. What I don't care for is the thinking that the only way to enjoy your experience is do it in a certain manner. FWIW, I had a close hiking buddy of mine pass away a month ago, and one of our last conversations we had while he was literally in his deathbed, was regretting not being able to come out and break our personal best JMT time this summer! I plan on trying to do it for him, and embrace the experience!!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                            "If all you want to do is hike, than why participate on either
                            site?"

                            Oh, sorry Robert, I didn't realise you were the adjudicator. ;-)

                            Ken.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                              'Well, not to be a cloud burst, but I suppose you can spend an inordinate amount
                              of time reading all the 'how to's' and 'what not to dos' and what to wear and
                              what not to wear and the right tent and the right boots and the right everything
                              else, or you could just get dressed, step onto the trail and get on with it.'

                              Pot, meet kettle.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                                Don't strain, Robert. ;-)

                                > 'Well, not to be a cloud burst, but I suppose you can spend an inordinate amount
                                > of time reading all the 'how to's' and 'what not to dos' and what to wear and
                                > what not to wear and the right tent and the right boots and the right everything
                                > else, or you could just get dressed, step onto the trail and get on with it.'
                                >
                                > Pot, meet kettle.
                                >
                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kennethjessett@" <kenjessett@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > "If all you want to do is hike, than why participate on either
                                > > site?"
                                > >
                                > > Oh, sorry Robert, I didn't realise you were the adjudicator. ;-)
                                > >
                                > > Ken.
                                > >
                                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm not sure how the connection is made to getting a subscription to BPL is equated to trying to be overly prepared and over-analyzing their backpacking experience? I enjoy this site and BPL because it connects like-minded people in terms of their love for the outdoors. This site is probably better for information for newcomers to the JMT, whereas BPL has a broader appeal with lightening your load as an objective. I am an experienced packer who wants to learn what lightweight gear is functional and works based on user input that is abundant on BPL. If all you want to do is hike, than why participate on either site?

                              • Lynn Alexander
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                                  Well, I can't hike 365 days a year (too bad I have to earn a living). Days I have to be at work, I enjoy taking a mental vacation by reading about life on the trail, including all the tips, equipment reviews, etc. Occasionally I find something useful (I didn't take a Jetboil, or a Sat phone this year, but probably will next year), but mostly I just like the chance to have a minute long trail vacation in the midst of a work day.
                                  Lynn

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                                    "Should I go through with my planned move to Reno in the next 2-3 months (I'm 95% convinced I will do so),"
                                    Did you get a chance to check out Tahoe while you were here Roleigh? We just got some fresh snow here, and it is pretty, but cold! Good luck on your move!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                                      Lynn,

                                      To help you get into the mood for the trail and if you don't already have it, I can strongly recommend the Mile, mile and a half video.

                                      There was also an excellent trail report by a female hiker from Austria - which is one of the very best I have read. Unfortunately I can't find the link, but hopefully she will read this and re post it.

                                      Also the usual suspects have books out which are also among the best: John Dittli and Elizabeth Wenk for example.

                                      Enjoy your 'mental vacations'. :-)

                                      Ken

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                                        replying offline

                                        _

                                        On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

                                        "Should I go through with my planned move to Reno in the next 2-3 months (I'm 95% convinced I will do so),"
                                        Did you get a chance to check out Tahoe while you were here Roleigh? We just got some fresh snow here, and it is pretty, but cold! Good luck on your move!

                                        > Robert's point is so spot-on there when he wrote: " I enjoy this site and
                                        > BPL because it connects like-minded people in terms of their love for the
                                        > outdoors."
                                        >
                                        > I have met a lot of wonderful people via my involvement in both sites.
                                        > You'll see meetups scheduled a lot more on BPL for training hikes than
                                        > here but BPL has the software setup for such arrangements, as it is not an
                                        > email forum. You'll definitely find a lot of High Sierra and JMT / PCT
                                        > hikers over there.
                                        >
                                        > I have long thought about creating a JohnMuirTrail meetup group (money is
                                        > involved though). Should I go through with my planned move to Reno in the
                                        > next 2-3 months (I'm 95% convinced I will do so), I might start one up --
                                        > with the sole purpose for JMT training hike meetups (regardless where the
                                        > hikers live), as well as for actual JMT segment or JMT Thru-Hikes on the
                                        > actual JMT.
                                        >
                                        > It would be nice to know who all would be interested in such a spin-off.
                                        > By the way, meetup.com, has the best scheduling and segway emailing --
                                        > where emails are only sent to those interested in doing a specific meetup.
                                        > I've never seen a better social group setup for outdoor activities than
                                        > meetup.com.
                                        >
                                        > Roleigh

                                        > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                                        > _

                                      • Lori MacDonald
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013
                                          Ken I think the link you meant for the Austrian hikers slide show was :

                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <gert2005@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                          > Day 8: A Monotonous Day? http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-8-a-monotonous-day/
                                          > Day 9: Timeout at VVR http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-9-timeout-at-vvr/
                                          > Day 10: Walking into Mordor... http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-10-walking-into-mordor/
                                          > Day 11: Sleeping while Walking http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-11-sleeping-while-walking/
                                          > Day 12: Muir Pass http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-12-muir-pass/
                                          > Day 13: Rain, Sun and a Monster! http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-13-rain-sun-and-a-monster/
                                          > Day 14: Mather Pass - Epic! http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-14-mather-pass-epic/
                                          > Day 15: Pinchot Pass & Rae Lakes http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-15-pinchot-pass-rae-lakes/
                                          > Day 16: Glenn Pass and Bubbs Creek http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-16-glen-pass-bubbs-creek/
                                          > Day 17: Crossing Forrester Pass http://gipfelrast.at/2013/07/jmt-day-17-forrester-pass-4009m/
                                          > Day 18: Almost there... http://gipfelrast.at/2013/08/jmt-day-18-almost-there/
                                          > Day 19: Mount Whitney! Finally! http://gipfelrast.at/2013/08/jmt-day-19-mount-whitney-finally/
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          > Gert
                                          >On Dec 12, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Robert wrote:

                                          > "Should I go through with my planned move to Reno in the next 2-3 months (I'm 95% convinced I will do so),"
                                          > Did you get a chance to check out Tahoe while you were here Roleigh? We just got some fresh snow here, and it is pretty, but cold! Good luck on your move!
                                          >
                                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Robert's point is so spot-on there when he wrote: " I enjoy this site and
                                          > > BPL because it connects like-minded people in terms of their love for the
                                          > > outdoors."
                                          > >
                                          > > I have met a lot of wonderful people via my involvement in both sites.
                                          > > You'll see meetups scheduled a lot more on BPL for training hikes than
                                          > > here but BPL has the software setup for such arrangements, as it is not an
                                          > > email forum. You'll definitely find a lot of High Sierra and JMT / PCT
                                          > > hikers over there.
                                          > >
                                          > > I have long thought about creating a JohnMuirTrail meetup group (money is
                                          > > involved though). Should I go through with my planned move to Reno in the
                                          > > next 2-3 months (I'm 95% convinced I will do so), I might start one up --
                                          > > with the sole purpose for JMT training hike meetups (regardless where the
                                          > > hikers live), as well as for actual JMT segment or JMT Thru-Hikes on the
                                          > > actual JMT.
                                          > >
                                          > > It would be nice to know who all would be interested in such a spin-off.
                                          > > By the way, meetup.com, has the best scheduling and segway emailing --
                                          > > where emails are only sent to those interested in doing a specific meetup.
                                          > > I've never seen a better social group setup for outdoor activities than
                                          > > meetup.com.
                                          > >
                                          > > Roleigh

                                          > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research

                                        • cehauser1
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 12, 2013

                                            Lynn:  +10 !! I couldn't agree more.  I hiked the JMT this summer, and this Yahoo Group was very helpful with the planning process.  Now that I'm home, I don't plan to hike this trail again for a number of years, but I am still signed up because I like to take a short mental vacation every evening, and help me plan for a PCT section hike next summer.

                                            Chris.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 13, 2013
                                              Thanks Lori.

                                              Ken.