Walk the Sky!

  • johndittli
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013
      Shameless self promotion! My apologies to those that: a. already have it or b. don't want it.

      But for c. those that don't know about it

      We were just up in the high country yesterday, snow is knee deep now! Winter is upon us and so is Christmas! I just got another case of Walk the Sky (trade edition) from the publisher. Now is the time to order one for that special hiker in your life, or heck, for yourself! We are shipping the remaining limited, slip covered editions with Erik Knight's beautiful poster map of the JMT

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013
        I encourage all of our members to consider as a Christmas gift any of the fine products that the published authors and photographers who are active members of our group and who have brought their years of experience to the group.  I and the other moderators thank them for their participation.  In some cases, their help to the group has been the granting of written permission to reproduce some of their copyrighted material (small, tiny portions of it) for a specific document.

        I have John's book and show it to anyone I am talking to about the trail.  Not only fantastic photography but the best history of the actual making of the trail too.  John, tell us more about the research behind the text of the book, ok?

        A reminder of those whom I am talking about here:
        Elizabeth Wenks and her JMT book
        Ray Ripple and his JMT book
        Erik the Black and his JMT Atlas Guide
        Tom Harrison and his JMT Map Pack
        John Dittli and his book (below)

        I hope I have not forgotten anyone.  Ned Tibbits does not have a book out but he does have classes and I recommend those of you who can attend any of his classes to do so.  I hope to be attending one of his in the next year.  I got to meet Ned over Thanksgiving week.  Incredibly interesting man with decades of sierra hiking safety/rescue experience.

        Roleigh

        _

        On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM, <johndittli@...> wrote:

        Shameless self promotion! My apologies to those that: a. already have it or b. don't want it.

        But for c. those that don't know about it

        We were just up in the high country yesterday, snow is knee deep now! Winter is upon us and so is Christmas! I just got another case of Walk the Sky (trade edition) from the publisher. Now is the time to order one for that special hiker in your life, or heck, for yourself! We are shipping the remaining limited, slip covered editions with Erik Knight's beautiful poster map of the JMT

      • Jean Dickinson
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013
          I'd like to second Walk the Sky! as a great holiday gift for anyone who loves the mountains. I bought the last available copy at the visitors' center in Mammoth this summer and found the writing and photography exceptional. Although it was supposed to be a gift, I've not been able to part with it. One doesn't need to be a hiker to deeply appreciate this book.

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: johndittli@...
          Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 07:52:44 -0800
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Walk the Sky!

          Shameless self promotion! My apologies to those that: a. already have it or b. don't want it.

          But for c. those that don't know about it

          We were just up in the high country yesterday, snow is knee deep now! Winter is upon us and so is Christmas! I just got another case of Walk the Sky (trade edition) from the publisher. Now is the time to order one for that special hiker in your life, or heck, for yourself! We are shipping the remaining limited, slip covered editions with Erik Knight's beautiful poster map of the JMT

        • lorim5533
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013
            Does the trade edition come with the poster map? Price of $50?

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013

              Thank you Roleigh.

              Walk the Sky was designed and published by Companion Press, creator of fine publications on the West. In 2009, Walk the Sky won the prestigious IPPY Gold Metal for best regional non-fiction.

              The photography in the book was partially gleaned from my rather large, 40 year, Sierra Nevada collection. But the majority was shot over a four year period that I spent "yo yoing" the JMT. The images themselves were created from everything from a 4x5 view camera (80# pack) to a small DSLR (25# pack). I'm happy with the technological advances in photography!!

              Mark Schlenz is the author and did a fine job researching the history. He spent hours paging through old Sierra Club bulletins, as well as digging up what suprizingly little information had been published on the subject. As well, I think Mark accurately conveyed what it's like to be out there. I have to add that he sandbagged me by including way to much information about the photographer.

              So it's not a self-published "travel log", but really an in depth, visual and literary examination of the JMT.

              John Dittli

            • ravi_jmt2013
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013

                Walk the Sky is great as a gift for anyone hiking the JMT!  I loaned my copy to family members while I was on the trail.  By following my Spot check ins and cross referencing the photos in Walk the Sky, everyone said that they felt like they were following my path along the trail.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013

                    I'm sorry we don't include the map with the trade edition. We can provide it for an additional $20 including shipping. The website isn't set up for that so you will need to email us if interested.

                    Thanks

                  • johndittli
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013

                      Great idea Roleigh, I'll approach the publishers with the idea! Thanks

                      John

                    • johndittli
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 10, 2013

                        Also thank you all for the kind words and the recent orders!!

                        John

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 19, 2013

                            I have not received my book yet...and will not be opening the UPS package until Christmas since it is a gift...but I couldn't resist opening the map that came today.  What a pleasant surprise!  I love it!  Thank you.  I can't wait to open my Christmas present...even though I know what it is, I can't wait to see the pictures and read it.