Lightweight Jacket

  • styllista
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2013
      any recommendations for a jacket that is lightweight, and capable of keeping me warm throughout the 200 mile trek. I am considering the Mountain Hardwear Women's Ghost Whisperer Hooded Down Jacket at 7 ounces.
    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2013
        I'd consider something that has the new waterproof treated down, or one of the new synthetics like thermoball.

        On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM, <styllista@...> wrote:

        any recommendations for a jacket that is lightweight, and capable of keeping me warm throughout the 200 mile trek. I am considering the Mountain Hardwear Women's Ghost Whisperer Hooded Down Jacket at 7 ounces.

      • KMSH
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2013

          I have loved using this jacket the past two years. It packs down very small. I bring it on all backpacking trips and wear it all winter long in Wisconsin. For how light it is it's surprisingly warm. If it's under 10 degrees I'll put a vest or raincoat over it and be toasty warm.

          REI Revelcloud Jacket
          http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/854855/rei-revelcloud-jacket-womens

          Kristy

          On Dec 5, 2013 9:19 PM, <styllista@...> wrote:

          any recommendations for a jacket that is lightweight, and capable of keeping me warm throughout the 200 mile trek. I am considering the Mountain Hardwear Women's Ghost Whisperer Hooded Down Jacket at 7 ounces.

        • Styllista
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2013
            To Kristy, wow that's very descend price with excellent function, thanks 😃

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Styllista
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2013
              To Kim, I'll do my research, if you could give me any brand that'd be awesome! Thanks 😃

              Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2013
                  My recommended down item for the JMT is either the Helios Vest or the Helios Jacket from Feathered Friends, the warmest, lightest mid-weight down jacket there is.

                  2 weeks ago, one was able to get it for about 33% discount.  That sale is gone and they are out of Helios Vests now.  They have the jackets still and even at full price is a bargain compared to the heavier and more expensive equivalently warm jackets from North Face, Big Agnes or Marmot.

                  _

                  On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:19 PM, <styllista@...> wrote:

                  any recommendations for a jacket that is lightweight, and capable of keeping me warm throughout the 200 mile trek. I am considering the Mountain Hardwear Women's Ghost Whisperer Hooded Down Jacket at 7 ounces.

                • Inga Aksamit
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 7, 2013
                    A relatively inexpensive option to consider is the Uniqlo Down Jacket at ~$70 http://www.uniqlo.com/us/store/lifewear/women-ultra-light-down-jacket/078826-34. I got it last year to hike in but my husband said it was too stylish and I have to admit that I've avoided taking it on the trail because I live in it in the winter. It's so light weight I can scrunch it in its bag in my purse and it's warm--not winter camping warm but I think it would suffice on the trail in summer. Maybe my solution is to get two, one for city and one for backcountry!

                    Inga Aksamit
                    Mobile: 415-470-1812
                    Email: Iaksamit@...
                    Twitter.com/IngaAksamit